Final Scholarship Predictions

Goph33

Reaction score
Who do you all think we will get for final spot or potentially two depending on transfers? HS recruit/transfer/grad transfer?

This is far fetched, but my prediction (wish) is Matthew Hurt will reclassify to 2018 (saw on nbadraft.net that he turns 18 in April) and signs with Gophers!

Who do you all think we will get for final spot or potentially two depending on transfers? HS recruit/transfer/grad transfer?

Well, most immediate impact and possibly the best odds of their being a significant impact, would be to take a Graduate Transfer. They bring the most experience often at the P5 level even, can bring leadership or at least have shown the ability to finish their degree, and we've had success with our last one.

The best pick when you are looking at bringing long term stability into the program, would be to bring in a JC transfer that can play right away or a transfer that for whatever reason can play right away with 2 years left of eligibility, maybe a Grad Transfer who for whatever reason redshirted a year and also graduated after 3 years maybe? lol That could be the best option if there is such a player out there and if we could get them.

But if the right HS Senior became available, that wouldn't be the worst idea, either, although I don't think that there are many HS seniors still available,

so I think we'll go with a Grad Transfer, just because its a better guarantee that they can contribute than taking a chance on a JC player and I don't think Pitino is feeling comfortable about taking chances right now. After how this season has gone, he needs next year to be as good of a season as it can be. Which is too bad that our fan base might be what is making him feel this way? All this talk of firing him asap or giving him just one more year with the condition that next year he makes the NCAA tourney. It was pressure to win right away that led to some of his early recruiting mistakes. With how people are talking about how impactful it will be to lose Mason, imagine how its going to be after next year if we not only lose Murphy, McBrayer, Stockman & Fitzgerald, but also a great Grad Transfer as well? I suppose we could THEN try to bring in ANOTHER Grad Transfer the next season again, so that the recruiting class isn't 5 frosh? But it's still bringing in an unknown. There would be no guarantee that we could even get another Grad Transfer or that they'd contribute.

No, bringing in someone with exactly 2 years left of eligibility would be the best option, and hopefully I am wrong about his going with a Grad Transfer with just a year left to play, and Pitino's boss makes him feel comfortable with going with a little riskier of an option.

This is far fetched, but my prediction (wish) is Matthew Hurt will reclassify to 2018 (saw on nbadraft.net that he turns 18 in April) and signs with Gophers!

Love it! 2 years playing with Mike and then on to NBA after a B10 title.

Any chance we get Ramey, Simons, or McGowens who might reclassify?? I would be really happy with any of these 3 although I don’t think we will get one. And take grad transfer assuming someone transfers

The Gophers had both Richard Pitino and Kimani Young watching Ramey tonight. The three names you mentioned: Simons, Ramey, and McGowens are the top 3 targets as far as I can tell, though I haven't seen anyone claim the Gophers are the favorite for any of the 3. I'd guess that we'd also try to get in on any highly rated guards who come available late due to coaching changes and that a grad transfer is also a possibility. Pitino has personally been in to see both Ramey and McGowens recently, so he's clearly prioritizing these guys.

I'd also suspect we'd have another scholarship open up. I believe the stat is that we've had someone leave every year for more than 20 years now, and I don't believe we're unusual in that regard. IMHO the biggest need outside of another ball handler is someone that can play the 3 behind Amir. I don't think Hurt or Fitzgerald can defend the position against most high major competition (and would also guess that if someone did leave it likely would be one of those two).

Agreed. We definitely need another true pg/or combo guard that’s a true pg cause you can’t only have 1 for depth and injury chances. We’re solid at post with Murph, Oturu, Curry, Stockman, and Omersa. Would be super nice to get that 3 position...dream would be to get Ramey, simons, or mcgowen and a grad 3 good enough to start to push Amir to 2 and Pree as good bench player with starter minutes and have bigger guards for rebounding. I’m dreaming though

The Gophers had both Richard Pitino and Kimani Young watching Ramey tonight. The three names you mentioned: Simons, Ramey, and McGowens are the top 3 targets as far as I can tell, though I haven't seen anyone claim the Gophers are the favorite for any of the 3. I'd guess that we'd also try to get in on any highly rated guards who come available late due to coaching changes and that a grad transfer is also a possibility. Pitino has personally been in to see both Ramey and McGowens recently, so he's clearly prioritizing these guys.

I'd also suspect we'd have another scholarship open up. I believe the stat is that we've had someone leave every year for more than 20 years now, and I don't believe we're unusual in that regard. IMHO the biggest need outside of another ball handler is someone that can play the 3 behind Amir. I don't think Hurt or Fitzgerald can defend the position against most high major competition (and would also guess that if someone did leave it likely would be one of those two).

Will Fitz finish his degree? Could he be a candidate for another team wanting a Grad Transfer?

As for Hurt, don't we want him here so he can play with his brother? :)

Will Fitz finish his degree? Could he be a candidate for another team wanting a Grad Transfer?

As for Hurt, don't we want him here so he can play with his brother? :)

Fitzgerald is a 5th year junior so I would guess he has his degree by now, but maybe he doesn’t want to go anywhere else.

Well, most immediate impact and possibly the best odds of their being a significant impact, would be to take a Graduate Transfer. They bring the most experience often at the P5 level even, can bring leadership or at least have shown the ability to finish their degree, and we've had success with our last one.

The best pick when you are looking at bringing long term stability into the program, would be to bring in a JC transfer that can play right away or a transfer that for whatever reason can play right away with 2 years left of eligibility, maybe a Grad Transfer who for whatever reason redshirted a year and also graduated after 3 years maybe? lol That could be the best option if there is such a player out there and if we could get them.

But if the right HS Senior became available, that wouldn't be the worst idea, either, although I don't think that there are many HS seniors still available,

so I think we'll go with a Grad Transfer, just because its a better guarantee that they can contribute than taking a chance on a JC player and I don't think Pitino is feeling comfortable about taking chances right now. After how this season has gone, he needs next year to be as good of a season as it can be. Which is too bad that our fan base might be what is making him feel this way? All this talk of firing him asap or giving him just one more year with the condition that next year he makes the NCAA tourney. It was pressure to win right away that led to some of his early recruiting mistakes. With how people are talking about how impactful it will be to lose Mason, imagine how its going to be after next year if we not only lose Murphy, McBrayer, Stockman & Fitzgerald, but also a great Grad Transfer as well? I suppose we could THEN try to bring in ANOTHER Grad Transfer the next season again, so that the recruiting class isn't 5 frosh? But it's still bringing in an unknown. There would be no guarantee that we could even get another Grad Transfer or that they'd contribute.

No, bringing in someone with exactly 2 years left of eligibility would be the best option, and hopefully I am wrong about his going with a Grad Transfer with just a year left to play, and Pitino's boss makes him feel comfortable with going with a little riskier of an option.

I wouldn't be as opposed to a jc player. Either way experience is needed at pg position for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom