Nate Masons Career

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
I saw a tweet last night that said that Masons Career will be remembered with an "un" before it. Either underappreciated, underachieving, or underutilized.

What are people's thoughts? Do you agree with the tweet?
In 5 years, how will we remember Mason?

I'd say underappreciated only. And even more so next year when you watch our guard scoring.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Mason will easily pass McHale and Jacobson in the next game to become the program's 5th all time leading scorer and is #2 all time in assists, trailing only McDonald.

Go Gophers!!

I saw a tweet last night that said that Masons Career will be remembered with an "un" before it. Either underappreciated, underachieving, or underutilized.

The one year he played on a fully healthy and complete team (until the BTT), he was first team all-B1G.

He isn’t perfect - efficiency has always been an issue, and played a small role in the off court sagas - but obviously he’s going to be tough to replace.

Good player - but maybe not a great player. I don't think I'd rank him with the all-time greats, but I would put him solidly in the next rung.

Great player for us. I was happy to see him have a nice game last night in what was an important game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'd go with very good, instead of great. If this season had gone the way it was supposed to, I think he would be remembered as one of the best guards ever. Not a Bobby Jackson or Ray Williams, but close. As it is, I sort of feel like he didn't handle adversity as well as he could have either playing like he really didn't want to be out there or just trying to do it all himself. Not too sure though if there are very many college point guards who would have handled it any better. If this year was frustrating for us, think of how frustrating it must have been for him. Senior year and all this sh*t. Tough to handle.

Under appreciated. A soft spoken leader with quiet confidence. Those types of players often get overlooked. Thank God MSU took Tum Tum.

I'm a young fan, so I don't have much to compare Mason's career to. How do people feel he compares to Andre Hollins? I remember Hollins as perhaps a little more efficient, but don't remember him taking over games as much as Mason

This is an interesting question probably answered by what Nate does after this.
Mychal Thompson was by far the greatest Gopher of his era, yet Kevin McHale is better known and would be revered higher than Mychal by the average fan. But, we all know that Mychal was head and shoulders above Kevin while he was a Gopher.
Mason doesn't wow you with remarkable athleticism, shooting prowess or defensive tenacity. He's simply been the epitome of consistency. Because of that, I suspect the average fan will forget about Mason in a similar way that many have forgotten Andre Hollins.

I'm a young fan, so I don't have much to compare Mason's career to. How do people feel he compares to Andre Hollins? I remember Hollins as perhaps a little more efficient, but don't remember him taking over games as much as Mason

I would put Mason ahead of Hollins.

Close to a tie. Mason by a hair. Neither in the same category as Bobby Jackson or even Vincent Grier, IMO.

I would put Mason ahead of Hollins.

No question, Dre was a poor ball handler. Mason has been the steady hand throughout all of the ups and downs. Being an unheralded recruit, he came in and played great basketball for two and a half years, he was so much better than I ever expected he'd be.

I would rate him above Hollins as well. A pretty good shooter and he developed a good stop and pop game. Pretty good at finishing around the rim. Maybe not as good at distributing as Washington will be, but a very good player.
Think of how many less wins this team would have had over 4 years without him.

I prefer Hollins, but not by much. Mason dealt with a lot in his career, some due to his own actions, but he's going to go down among the top 5 scorers in program history -- takes a really good player to do that. I will miss him, and wish him the best of luck.

Nate is and has been my favorite Gopher on the roster by far for the last 3 years. Met with him a few times, he's a very genuine, respectful, and humble young man.
I can't help but wonder if he would have had more success, effectiveness, or appreciation with a different program; but that's just me *shrug.

I hope he continues to finish his college career on a high note and thrives in whatever he does professionally afterward. Keep playing like Senior Night he may get some Big10 accolades and/or NBA looks.

Oh and I prefer him over Hollins easy in my book.

Unaccompanied by enough high level talent.

Mason is a competitor. Seems like a really good kid.

He has scored a ton of points, made some massive shots and has given everything he had to this team.

Under appreciated is very accurate but the biggest “un” is unfair. He never had the team he deserved. He never had the team success he wanted.

Under appreciated, mainly because he rarely had much talent surrounding him and had to carry a huge load on his shoulders. This often times forced him to make plays all by himself in tough situations. Given that he is not the most gifted guy, he performed remarkably well and deserves to be ranked in the upper echelon of Gopher guards. Not top 3-4, but in that next group.

Top Bottom