Rick Pitino Maintains Innocence: 'I've Run A Clean Program All My Life"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

Despite presiding over a program that has been engulfed in multiple scandals in recent years, former Louisville coach Rick Pitino said he had no knowledge of the activity that ultimately led to his firing.

"I feel awful for what has happened," Pitino said at a press conference at the Greenberg Traurig law firm in Midtown Manhattan on Wednesday. "I've run a clean program all my life."

Louisville was heavily implicated in the FBI's multi-year probe into college basketball recruiting tactics. Specifically, Pitino is accused of knowing about a $100,000 payment made by Adidas representatives to the family of five-star recruit Brian Bowen to secure his commitment to Louisville. Pitino addressed that accusation directly.

"In 40 years of coaching, I have never been involved, directly or indirectly, in any effort to pay any money or extend any improper benefit to any recruit or recruit's family members or representatives," Pitino said, per ESPN's Jeff Borzello.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...m&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Go Gophers!!

By clean, does he mean free of NCAA violations, or clean of STDs?

Research what he did and was punished for at Hawaii. He uses the same excuse everytime and he has a behavior problem. Gifted as a teacher of basketball.

Research what he did and was punished for at Hawaii. He uses the same excuse everytime and he has a behavior problem. Gifted as a teacher of basketball.

Done:

Pitino's time in Hawaii was not without controversy.

In 1989, the Lexington Herald-Leader and the New York Times cited a 1977 NCAA report on sanctions against the University of Hawaii.

According to the report, Pitino was implicated in eight of the 64 infractions that led the university to be placed on probation.

The violations involving Pitino included providing round-trip air fare for a player between New York and Honolulu, arranging for student-athletes to receive used cars for season tickets, and handing out coupons to players for free food at McDonald's.

The NCAA committee on infractions recommended in 1977 that Pitino and O'Neil be disassociated from Hawaii athletics.

In 1989 Pitino told reporters, "One thing you won't have to worry about is cheating with Rick Pitino. It didn't happen in Hawaii as far as I'm concerned." Pitino added, "I was a graduate assistant. I didn't make any mistakes, I don't care what anybody says."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/21913973/louisvilles-pitino-had-controversial-hawaii-ties

Go Gophers!!

per SI:

Despite presiding over a program that has been engulfed in multiple scandals in recent years, former Louisville coach Rick Pitino said he had no knowledge of the activity that ultimately led to his firing.

"I feel awful for what has happened," Pitino said at a press conference at the Greenberg Traurig law firm in Midtown Manhattan on Wednesday. "I've run a clean program all my life."

Louisville was heavily implicated in the FBI's multi-year probe into college basketball recruiting tactics. Specifically, Pitino is accused of knowing about a $100,000 payment made by Adidas representatives to the family of five-star recruit Brian Bowen to secure his commitment to Louisville. Pitino addressed that accusation directly.

"In 40 years of coaching, I have never been involved, directly or indirectly, in any effort to pay any money or extend any improper benefit to any recruit or recruit's family members or representatives," Pitino said, per ESPN's Jeff Borzello.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...m&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Go Gophers!!

If your staff has done it, isn't that at minimum indirectly? This guy is amazing. Hope he salted away a bunch of the money he has earned.

Whether he means to lie or not, it's clearly not the truth. His programs have not been clean.

Ummm, ask any convict in jail if they are guilty or innocent.

"I've run a clean program all my life." Huh? He's the guy in charge. How in the hell can he claim Louisville 's program was clean. Sort of like Bill's "I never had sex with that woman." Didn't know they can make up their own definitions to avoid being called a liar.

Wish the media would stop spreading his lies. Don't you have some inkling of "this guy will probably lie to me, maybe I shouldn't be a vehicle for disinformation"? He is a nobody anyway now.

Top Bottom