Uni-watch weighs in on new uniforms

lol, you make a great post about your opinions on the jersey/brand and follow it up with this garbage. This is not even remotely the point, but the trolling effort was top notch ;)

no one should choose where to play football in college because the like the uniform. If they like the school, the coach and feel they'll be successful the uniform doesn't matter and they'll love it if it's Penn State, Maryland, or anything in between.

That may be garbage to you, but I question any kid who choose school a over school b because of the uniforms. I respect the attempt to tie it back to PJ's "culture" didn't work for you, and I agree not my best, but to me that would be a really bad decision to pick a school based on the uniform, and bad decisions don't fly in the Fleck culture, so you can see how I got there.

no one should choose where to play football in college because the like the uniform. If they like the school, the coach and feel they'll be successful the uniform doesn't matter and they'll love it if it's Penn State, Maryland, or anything in between.

That may be garbage to you, but I question any kid who choose school a over school b because of the uniforms. I respect the attempt to tie it back to PJ's "culture" didn't work for you, and I agree not my best, but to me that would be a really bad decision to pick a school based on the uniform, and bad decisions don't fly in the Fleck culture, so you can see how I got there.

I posted the kid liked the uniform, and you turned it into it would be the deciding factor in where he picked to go to school. That wasn't the message whatsoever. Just simply recruits were posting on twitter that they liked it.
That's all. You may not like the uni's and Flecks brand and I get that. I completely understand and respect that. That's all I got for this topic. Enjoy your day!

I have. Being noticed. Being viewed as being on board. Being part of the team. Supporting the program you are part of. Supporting your coach. Peer pressure. Feeling like you should. I could go on and on.

I don't know if any individual who says so does or doesn't. I know it is naive to assume they must. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are possible reasons. I find it extremely hard to believe that most of the players would do it for any other reason than they like them but I guess this is possible.

I posted the kid liked the uniform, and you turned it into it would be the deciding factor in where he picked to go to school. That wasn't the message whatsoever. Just simply recruits were posting on twitter that they liked it.
That's all. You may not like the uni's and Flecks brand and I get that. I completely understand and respect that. That's all I got for this topic. Enjoy your day!

Enjoy your day as well.

Those are possible reasons. I find it extremely hard to believe that most of the players would do it for any other reason than they like them but I guess this is possible.

You just have to be more cynical. It is easy to believe then.

I remember when I first discovered Uni-watch. I wondered if there could ever possibly be enough material to keep it worth a revisit once in a while. Well, Oregon, Maryland, and uniforms in general have only become more of a conversation topic since then so yes, it is worth a visit. I have generally found the editorial comments about uniforms (a very subjective topic) to be in line with my opinions. This is no exception.

I hope Fleck is very successful here. I have nothing against him. Regardless if he is successful or not, I will STILL dislike his personal brand being on everything here. I remember well how "Row the Boat" was plastered everywhere at W Mich when we hired him. I'm sure it immediately felt goofy for the locals there when he left. At the time I thought to myself "I sure hope he doesn't do all that here." Of course he did and now we have big, dumb oars on our helmets. The bricks on the previous uniforms were nothing like this. There was team history playing in brick stadiums, the pattern was very understated, and it didn't leave with the coach. In fact, if the oar and compass pattern that is on the numbers of these new uniforms were the only reference to row the boat - I'd be totally fine with it. It is mentioned in the article in the same way: if it were a subtle addition to the helmet bumper, etc. it would be okay. But this is different - and when it is combined with white suddenly becoming the main color for the numbers and "anthracite" that has become boring gray - we have a bit of a mess on our hands. Just top it off with Baylor reflective helmets and it actually becomes tired AND boring AND a mess.

And I don't believe this is just "old guy" opinion stuff. If it was, I'd want Penn State uniforms and that would be the end of it. I usually love new uniforms. I just don't love THESE new uniforms.

Some of the combos are okay by my taste. Some are downright comical. I would have loved to see them keep the same base uniforms from the Kill era and mix in some new helmets, special game day uniforms, etc., rather than completely overhaul everything to a new base that says as much about the man in charge as it does the University it represents.

+1000

You sir, have not only hit the nail on the head, but made incredibly flush contact. Have a recommend.

Spoofin, do you think these reactions are fake as well? I mean no reason not to think so, right?

Spoofin, do you think the players at the 0:40 mark of the video are all faking it? That doesn't look fake to me but if it is, they could win an Oscar.

I really doubt they are all faking it. I also really doubt they all love the unis. I mean, what choice did they have on their reaction in the situation?

OK. If folks want to think that every player and prospective player out there loves the new unis and it is going to make a difference for our program, go ahead. Whatever makes you feel good. I don't think that is realistic and I tend to not believe everything someone says/does when they have motivation to say/do said thing. I think some mean it, some don't.

Just look at the GH poll. Do we really think that different than these kids? I doubt it.

I just got off the phone with JohnnyBoy, he wanted me to express his everlasting love for the new uniforms and PJ Fleck.

Posters hating on the uniforms has actually nothing to do with the uniforms. It's all about Fleck.

Wrong. I love Fleck and I think the uniforms are possibly the worst I've ever seen at the major college level. And my hatred for the uniforms has zero to do with RTB, compass, oars, boat, or anything else of that nature. The designs, coloring, everything are AWFUL.

Wrong. I love Fleck and I think the uniforms are possibly the worst I've ever seen at the major college level. And my hatred for the uniforms has zero to do with RTB, compass, oars, boat, or anything else of that nature. The designs, coloring, everything are AWFUL.
FWIW I had the same problems with them and I expressed them on a Twitter post, I was assured that the colors (Maroon & Gold) have not changed at all from the Kill era. The pictures released are very unrepresentative of the real color.

Most people know I'm a Fleck fan.

I am not a fan of the Oars on the helmet. But I don't hate them. Knowing we were going to likely get Oars, I think the way they did it was fine and I don't think many casual fans will be watching the game going... "Wait, is that a beaver tail, or an Oar, or what is that????" when watching the games. Then when they find out, half will say "Oh, okay. Cool." The other half will say, "Well, that's dumb". In the end, their opinions won't matter much.

Regarding the uniform combinations. The whites look great The maroons aren't really much different. White numbers... oh no. Hardly enough to get peaved about.

The grey is different. The various combinations with grey look anywhere from good to horrible. The worst probably being gold pants, grey top, with metallic gold helmet. On the other side the grey with the white helmet looks good in my opinion. (if you can make the leap that grey is an acceptable uniform color for the U).

So on a 1-10, my average score would fall about a 6.
On a scale of how much I really, really care, about a 2.

I'm sure some like it, but i'm also sure the moment these guys get to school, or before, they're told pretty clearly what is ok to say on social media... and what isn't.

FWIW I had the same problems with them and I expressed them on a Twitter post, I was assured that the colors (Maroon & Gold) have not changed at all from the Kill era. The pictures released are very unrepresentative of the real color.
Yet another marketing fail by our athletic department if that's the case.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Yet another marketing fail by our athletic department if that's the case.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I could see how some of the live action shots here or there would be a bit off... but man if they hired a photog to do the shots ... and they weren't color corrected.... I'm just out of evens if that is true.

I remember when I first discovered Uni-watch. I wondered if there could ever possibly be enough material to keep it worth a revisit once in a while. Well, Oregon, Maryland, and uniforms in general have only become more of a conversation topic since then so yes, it is worth a visit. I have generally found the editorial comments about uniforms (a very subjective topic) to be in line with my opinions. This is no exception.

I hope Fleck is very successful here. I have nothing against him. Regardless if he is successful or not, I will STILL dislike his personal brand being on everything here. I remember well how "Row the Boat" was plastered everywhere at W Mich when we hired him. I'm sure it immediately felt goofy for the locals there when he left. At the time I thought to myself "I sure hope he doesn't do all that here." Of course he did and now we have big, dumb oars on our helmets. The bricks on the previous uniforms were nothing like this. There was team history playing in brick stadiums, the pattern was very understated, and it didn't leave with the coach. In fact, if the oar and compass pattern that is on the numbers of these new uniforms were the only reference to row the boat - I'd be totally fine with it. It is mentioned in the article in the same way: if it were a subtle addition to the helmet bumper, etc. it would be okay. But this is different - and when it is combined with white suddenly becoming the main color for the numbers and "anthracite" that has become boring gray - we have a bit of a mess on our hands. Just top it off with Baylor reflective helmets and it actually becomes tired AND boring AND a mess.

And I don't believe this is just "old guy" opinion stuff. If it was, I'd want Penn State uniforms and that would be the end of it. I usually love new uniforms. I just don't love THESE new uniforms.

Some of the combos are okay by my taste. Some are downright comical. I would have loved to see them keep the same base uniforms from the Kill era and mix in some new helmets, special game day uniforms, etc., rather than completely overhaul everything to a new base that says as much about the man in charge as it does the University it represents.

Good post. I am a PJ fan, but putting PJ’s own “flare” slogans on the uniforms are off limit for a big time university! Replacing the bricks with the PJ fabric is Ok, it is subtle enough not to detract from the U’s brand. Putting a beaver tail paddle on the helmets is going too far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The new uniforms are part of PJ's Culture. I believe we were able to land PJ because we agreed to this uniform change as part of his culture and one of his reasons to be our coach is that he was allowed to be himself. Not many schools would allow him to "be PJ" and introduce his culture, which includes higher level recruiting for sure, and those schools did not sign Fleck either. I think it is part of the total package and why we have him. If/when he wins this will all be like Mississippi River water passing under the Washington Ave bridge.

For now it is fun to watch middle aged men like me try to justify the look that 18 -22 year old men prefer. It is not going to happen. Actually all this wailing is a good sign, as it proves what I know in marketing. The younger generation does not want to look like you or me or what we think they should represent.

We need spring ball to start.

The new uniforms are part of PJ's Culture. I believe we were able to land PJ because we agreed to this uniform change as part of his culture and one of his reasons to be our coach is that he was allowed to be himself. Not many schools would allow him to "be PJ" and introduce his culture, which includes higher level recruiting for sure, and those schools did not sign Fleck either. I think it is part of the total package and why we have him. If/when he wins this will all be like Mississippi River water passing under the Washington Ave bridge.

For now it is fun to watch middle aged men like me try to justify the look that 18 -22 year old men prefer. It is not going to happen. Actually all this wailing is a good sign, as it proves what I know in marketing. The younger generation does not want to look like you or me or what we think they should represent.

We need spring ball to start.

THIS

I love the Gophers, and I just want to see them win. I don't care if the uniforms look like Penn State's or Oregon's. (Although, I have to admit, the Goldy helmet really grew on me.). All the 10 coaches i have watched since Murray Warmath have failed, some miserably. PJ was brought in because of his "culture". If PJ and these unis are what it takes to win a National Title, I say RTB and Ski-U-Mah and put them damn paddles wherever you want to.
If not, bring in Coach #12. Hopefully he can succeed before my time on Earth runs out.

Some of you guys constant b@@ching is really getting old. As much as I can't believe I'm saying it, but you make me really miss the days of Dr Don's "humor" and Wren's constant vigil for Big 10 championships and keeping our current AD & President in line.

I'm sure some like it, but i'm also sure the moment these guys get to school, or before, they're told pretty clearly what is ok to say on social media... and what isn't.

Right. I wasn't saying that the players would rip the uniforms on their social media. Most people in that position wouldn't post that they really like something if they really don't.

Right. I wasn't saying that the players would rip the uniforms on their social media. Most people in that position wouldn't post that they really like something if they really don't.

Like I said, I cheered for the team during the Kent St. game... I didn't like what I saw, but if you're a fan you cheer... if you're a part of the team you cheer.

Put me in the camp of people who think the players are going to come out and say they love the new uniforms, no matter what. I believe some of them - maybe most of them - really do like the new uniforms.

but - I also believe that the players have learned what type of reaction the Coaching staff expects from them. Everything is supposed to be up-beat, up-tempo, and enthusiastic. The players understand that. They understand what can happen to players who are not 100% on the PJ program - or just give the appearance they are not 100% on the program.

if you're on the U of MN roster, and you want to play, you have to convince the Coaches you are "all in" with the PJ program. Again, I suspect most of the players are not faking. But, the cynical part of my brain tells me that at least a few players may not be quite as thrilled with the program, but they know they have to look like they're thrilled if they want to play. So you come out and make a big deal about the new uniforms.

it's like when your boss decides to have weekly staff meetings, and you have to show up and at least pretend that you give a bleep about his latest "great" idea. There are things we do because we are genuinely excited, and then there are things we do to get by.

Put me in the camp of people who think the players are going to come out and say they love the new uniforms, no matter what. I believe some of them - maybe most of them - really do like the new uniforms.

but - I also believe that the players have learned what type of reaction the Coaching staff expects from them. Everything is supposed to be up-beat, up-tempo, and enthusiastic. The players understand that. They understand what can happen to players who are not 100% on the PJ program - or just give the appearance they are not 100% on the program.

if you're on the U of MN roster, and you want to play, you have to convince the Coaches you are "all in" with the PJ program. Again, I suspect most of the players are not faking. But, the cynical part of my brain tells me that at least a few players may not be quite as thrilled with the program, but they know they have to look like they're thrilled if they want to play. So you come out and make a big deal about the new uniforms.

it's like when your boss decides to have weekly staff meetings, and you have to show up and at least pretend that you give a bleep about his latest "great" idea. There are things we do because we are genuinely excited, and then there are things we do to get by.

People also generally act positively when they get free stuff too.

Like I said, I cheered for the team during the Kent St. game... I didn't like what I saw, but if you're a fan you cheer... if you're a part of the team you cheer.

After the game did you go home and post on social media how awesome the game was and how great the team played?

Scroll to 00:45. Picked a bad time to daydream.

https://youtu.be/AX53zFmQJMA

There sure are a lot of Tim Gunn's in here. I think the kids will like the jerseys but I also think that is not the real point of saying that "these are for players/recruits." High school kids that commit to Minnesota are obviously, at this point, doing so because Fleck's culture/personality is attractive to them. These uniforms reflect that culture (a little too boldly in my personal opinion...but that doesn't matter).

Again, Fleck is what will attract players into our program...not our tradition or history. I mean, we will never again recruit an athlete that was born before Glen Mason's tenure began. What tradition or history does our football program have from the viewpoint of a kid from Georgia? This is a re-branding...something to grab the attention of young people that possibly don't even know what conference we play in before Fleck calls. If Fleck is successful and elevates our program, THIS is our new tradition. If he fails or bails, we simply start over again with different uniforms designed by the next coach. The upside is greatness and the downside is simply the status quo that everybody in here under the age 60 has dealt with for our entire lives.

Top Bottom