Uni-watch weighs in on new uniforms

Posters hating on the uniforms has actually nothing to do with the uniforms. It's all about Fleck.

Posters hating on the uniforms has actually nothing to do with the uniforms. It's all about Fleck.

Is it really that shocking that everything is a proxy war about the coach? He’s a showboat in understated, stoic, quiet competence Minnesota. So far it’s all show, no go and there are going to be skeptics. Particularly after struggling mightily in year 1/zero. Fleck is self-aware enough to know this and he doesn’t care which is fine, it’s a characteristic that has helped him all along the way.

Bottom line, those are his personal slogans that he transferred from WMU and if he leaves he’ll take with him again. Is HOWway or RTB or Nekton as cringeworthy a motivational tool as the Turnover Trash Can? No, because there’s a legitimate life message behind those. However, if PJ emblazoned a trash can down the top of the helmet that might engender some snarky social media memes. Sometimes it’s bettermto run silent, run deep than open oneself up for ridicule.

BS. I am a big PJ fan. I hate the beaver paddles on the helmets, look very amateurish and have nothing to do with the U. The yellow lettering on a white uniform is unreadable. I am OK with the new oar/compass fabric in place of the brick pattern, it doesn’t replace or distract from schools markings or symbols. I am fine with trying to glitz up the uni’s if they want, but a lot of these combos are flat out ugly! I really liked the Goldy helmets from last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. I love PJ. I touched him once and I remember it well.... (then we lost a bunch of games so maybe that was not a good thing...)

The uniforms are a mishmash just from a design perspective.

At this point I want Penn State to hire away Fleck, just to see what happens.

I think there's only about a 20% chance you're correct.

What does De'Vondre Campbell gain by lying?

DC26 may love them. To assume everyone who says they do does is naive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, Why anyone would care what posters on the internet think of the unis is comical. It's all about the kids

Of course. What else could it be.

FTR - I dislike PJ and I dislike the Unis. Mutually exclusive events, however.

DC26 may love them. To assume everyone who says they do does is naive.

So the players go on twitter to lie about liking the uniforms so they might get more playing time next year?

I remember when I first discovered Uni-watch. I wondered if there could ever possibly be enough material to keep it worth a revisit once in a while. Well, Oregon, Maryland, and uniforms in general have only become more of a conversation topic since then so yes, it is worth a visit. I have generally found the editorial comments about uniforms (a very subjective topic) to be in line with my opinions. This is no exception.

I hope Fleck is very successful here. I have nothing against him. Regardless if he is successful or not, I will STILL dislike his personal brand being on everything here. I remember well how "Row the Boat" was plastered everywhere at W Mich when we hired him. I'm sure it immediately felt goofy for the locals there when he left. At the time I thought to myself "I sure hope he doesn't do all that here." Of course he did and now we have big, dumb oars on our helmets. The bricks on the previous uniforms were nothing like this. There was team history playing in brick stadiums, the pattern was very understated, and it didn't leave with the coach. In fact, if the oar and compass pattern that is on the numbers of these new uniforms were the only reference to row the boat - I'd be totally fine with it. It is mentioned in the article in the same way: if it were a subtle addition to the helmet bumper, etc. it would be okay. But this is different - and when it is combined with white suddenly becoming the main color for the numbers and "anthracite" that has become boring gray - we have a bit of a mess on our hands. Just top it off with Baylor reflective helmets and it actually becomes tired AND boring AND a mess.

And I don't believe this is just "old guy" opinion stuff. If it was, I'd want Penn State uniforms and that would be the end of it. I usually love new uniforms. I just don't love THESE new uniforms.

Some of the combos are okay by my taste. Some are downright comical. I would have loved to see them keep the same base uniforms from the Kill era and mix in some new helmets, special game day uniforms, etc., rather than completely overhaul everything to a new base that says as much about the man in charge as it does the University it represents.

Uh not even close. You just want the players to hate them like you do lol. Bateman a four star who is our best wr recruit in years goes out of his way to say how much he like them instead of just be silent about it but it’s because he’s so concerned about playing time he feels needs to impress Fleck. That’s how asinine your response is lol. Good effort though

Well, thank god we changed the uniforms then. He probably wouldn't have come if we......oh wait. He committed before they were unveiled. If he loves them or if he hates them doesn't change the fact that they are as disposable as PJ's "culture"

Most people see this for exactly what it is - PJ pimping PJ - it is what he does, and to some, situational ethics dictate the ends justify the means, and it will all be ok when we win, because the kids like them.

But it won't be.

We've still sold out the university to a coach that has done almost nothing for the school in terms of coaching football. But PJ is being PJ, and Mark Coyle is being Mark Coyle - a spineless simp that really needs to be a leader, but prefers to hang back in the shadows and not do his job......

But hey, the kids love them right, and that's all that matters.

Not the people buying tickets and sitting in the stands AND buying or not buying merchandise. I hope the U sells lots of it, but i doubt they will, and I know that they will not receive a dime from me for any of this crap.

I expect if we do start to win (and the coaching job of last season suggests that's If with a capital "I") the U will pull a jacksonville jaguars and ditch the clown suits and have at least more Minnesota references on the uniforms than PJ Fleck references, but that may be wishful thinking on my part. Should PJ pull off a league title, I expect we'll have a new color scheme and no references to the Gophers or Minnesota on the uniforms.

So the players go on twitter to lie about liking the uniforms so they might get more playing time next year?

When PJ was introduced as HC he went out of his way to say how much he liked Mark Coyle. Did you instantly assume he must really like him. I mean he already had the job, wasn't asked, and came out and said it. By your logic, he would have had nothing to gain by saying that.

Again, if you think every player and prospect that declares their love for the POS uniforms is sincere, you are being naive. That simple. I never said anything about doing it for playing time - that was you.

Well, thank god we changed the uniforms then. He probably wouldn't have come if we......oh wait. He committed before they were unveiled. If he loves them or if he hates them doesn't change the fact that they are as disposable as PJ's "culture"

Most people see this for exactly what it is - PJ pimping PJ - it is what he does, and to some, situational ethics dictate the ends justify the means, and it will all be ok when we win, because the kids like them.

But it won't be.

We've still sold out the university to a coach that has done almost nothing for the school in terms of coaching football. But PJ is being PJ, and Mark Coyle is being Mark Coyle - a spineless simp that really needs to be a leader, but prefers to hang back in the shadows and not do his job......

Not the people buying tickets and sitting in the stands AND buying or not buying merchandise. I hope the U sells lots of it, but i doubt they will. I expect if we do start to win (and the coaching job of last season suggests that's If with a capital "I") the U will pull a jacksonville jaguars and ditch the clown suits and have at least more Minnesota references on the uniforms than PJ Fleck references.

I respect this opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong at all. It's yet to be seen how successful Fleck and his culture are here. He came in, took over (Coyle knew what he was going to do) and he's rolling with it. I'm not a huge fan of the oars all over the place either, but like I've said before I can live with it if the players like it, and so far that seems to be the case. You can hate on Fleck and his culture and uniforms and everything else about him. If he doesn't win and merch sales go down, and ticket sales plummet then you have absolutely nailed it and I back your opinion 100%, but until then we don't know. All I've seen (as bad as the team was last year) kids are buying into this schitck, we signed a great recruiting class and to me that's the biggest thing this team needed to make a jump was high end recruiting abilities. If he can win with Oars all over the jerseys and his brand then so be it. If not, move on. I get it.

another recruit comments on the Gopher uniforms...They kids sure dislike these...

Oh yeah - recruits especially have no motivation to say they like the unis unless they really "like like" the unis. Being publicly positive about the coach and school you may want to give you a scholarship wouldn't motivate anyone to go out of their way to be noticed. You got me Miles. ALL the kids must really love em.

Oh yeah - recruits especially have no motivation to say they like the unis unless they really "like like" the unis. Being publicly positive about the coach and school you may want to give you a scholarship wouldn't motivate anyone to go out of their way to be noticed. You got me Miles. ALL the kids must really love em.

the kid's twitter is littered with Iowa stuff....He is a high 3 star and has offers from Iowa, Minnesota and is getting interest from schools like Michigan St, Northwestern, Notre Dame and others still early in the process...He's totally going to go out of his way to show love to the Minnesota uniforms just so Fleck still talks to him and likes him. Your hatred for Fleck is blinding you so badly it's hopeless at this point. lol

Of course. What else could it be.

FTR - I dislike PJ and I dislike the Unis. Mutually exclusive events, however.

You basically spend everyday on this board telling anyone who will listen you dislike PJ. You're not going to get the benefit of the doubt and you know that. Same thing with the 20% comment.

But it won't be.

Not the people buying tickets and sitting in the stands AND buying or not buying merchandise. I hope the U sells lots of it, but i doubt they will, and I know that they will not receive a dime from me for any of this crap

I expect if we do start to win (and the coaching job of last season suggests that's If with a capital "I") the U will pull a jacksonville jaguars and ditch the clown suits and have at least more Minnesota references on the uniforms than PJ Fleck references, but that may be wishful thinking on my part. Should PJ pull off a league title, I expect we'll have a new color scheme and no references to the Gophers or Minnesota on the uniforms.

Careful with that comment. I made a similar one when he was first hired about not buying RTB merchandise and got ripped to shreds by some on here. :)
I agree with you though. I am a U of M Gopher fan. Will never buy slogan shirts as those things come and go all the time.

Since Uni-Watch doesn't like them, they must hate PJ.

I'll be waiting with baited breath to see if the uniforms get Mosai to come here. No, I won't. If he comes here for the uniform, I question his ability to make good decisions, and I've been told that is not Elite, so we won't offer him then......
lol, you make a great post about your opinions on the jersey/brand and follow it up with this garbage. This is not even remotely the point, but the trolling effort was top notch ;)

When PJ was introduced as HC he went out of his way to say how much he liked Mark Coyle. Did you instantly assume he must really like him. I mean he already had the job, wasn't asked, and came out and said it. By your logic, he would have had nothing to gain by saying that.

Again, if you think every player and prospect that declares their love for the POS uniforms is sincere, you are being naive. That simple. I never said anything about doing it for playing time - that was you.

I'd assume that if Fleck didn't like Coyle, he'd still say positive things about him at the press conference, then not go out of his way to post how much he loves them on social media. Just like if players hated the uniforms, I'd expect them to show excitement at the unveiling with their teammates, then not go on social media saying how much they love them.

I have no idea if the players like them or are lying, I'm just trying to understand what possible reason there would be for going out of their way to lie about it. You still haven't provided a reason. I threw out the playing time theory because that's the only reason I could think of.

lol, you make a great post about your opinions on the jersey/brand and follow it up with this garbage. This is not even remotely the point, but the trolling effort was top notch ;)

You LOL a lot. Kids.

I'd assume that if Fleck didn't like Coyle, he'd still say positive things about him at the press conference, then not go out of his way to post how much he loves them on social media. Just like if players hated the uniforms, I'd expect them to show excitement at the unveiling with their teammates, then not go on social media saying how much they love them.

I have no idea if the players like them or are lying, I'm just trying to understand what possible reason there would be for going out of their way to lie about it. <b>You still haven't provided a reason. </b>I threw out the playing time theory because that's the only reason I could think of.

I have. Being noticed. Being viewed as being on board. Being part of the team. Supporting the program you are part of. Supporting your coach. Peer pressure. Feeling like you should. I could go on and on.

I don't know if any individual who says so does or doesn't. I know it is naive to assume they must. LOL.

I respect this opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong at all. It's yet to be seen how successful Fleck and his culture are here. He came in, took over (Coyle knew what he was going to do) and he's rolling with it. I'm not a huge fan of the oars all over the place either, but like I've said before I can live with it if the players like it, and so far that seems to be the case. You can hate on Fleck and his culture and uniforms and everything else about him. If he doesn't win and merch sales go down, and ticket sales plummet then you have absolutely nailed it and I back your opinion 100%, but until then we don't know. All I've seen (as bad as the team was last year) kids are buying into this schitck, we signed a great recruiting class and to me that's the biggest thing this team needed to make a jump was high end recruiting abilities. If he can win with Oars all over the jerseys and his brand then so be it. If not, move on. I get it.

I'm not saying he won't win. I'm not saying his "culture" will not "work". in my opinion it is disposable to the University of Minnesota unless and until PJ Fleck wins. Wins often. Spends the rest of his coaching career here. Short of that, we've sold out the U for the coach who may or may not be here.

And this isn't an either or situation. It is possible that we could have done something different with the uniforms that did not involve oars, and compasses, and the rest of PJ's schtick and recruits would have liked them and been tweeting about them. The new trends in uniform is what it is, but no school, other than us, is putting the coaches personal brand on their uniforms for a reason. and many of them are doing just fine in recruiting. "Recruits like them" is a red herring. In the end it doesn't mean their wrong for liking them, but whether or not they like them is irrelevant to the fact that the U is flat wrong on this.

Top Bottom