Black HIstory Month: Crystal Flint

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/022018aaa.html

Name: Crystal Flint
Sports: Women's Basketball
Years: 1989 -- 94
Hometown: Roxbury, Mass.
Occupation: Associate Educator/ Girls' Basketball Coach at Minneapolis North H.S.

What is it you honestly miss most about the University?
I miss the comradery with my teammates. We were a pretty close knit group who truly enjoyed each other's company.

If you could give the current student-athletes any piece of advice, what would it be?
Utilize/take advantage of ALL resources and do not take a second of it for granted. It goes by quickly.

Please share your favorite university or athletic event you've attended since you graduated and what made it so special to you?
A personal moment was officiating a double OT game at Williams for the Minnesota State High School League's girls' basketball championship. A close second was seeing the Minnesota Lynx win their fourth WNBA Championship at the Barn this past summer. It was fun to be back at Williams Arena, in a different environment, knowing that other girls and women were able to experience the same atmosphere that I had grown to know during my days as a Golden Gopher. I know that feeling.

What are you grateful for?
I am grateful that the Lord has blessed both of my sons to be able to also play on the same floor that I played in as a collegiate scholar athlete last year. They played at Williams Arena in the quarterfinals of the state boys' basketball tournament before going on to win back-to-back titles for my oldest son, Marquis, and my youngest son, Tre, who was a seventh-grader.

What does Black History Month mean to you?
Black History Month is a time to reflect on the amazing contributions that my people have blessed the world with. It is a time to educate, and sometimes remind ourselves if we have unfortunately forgotten those contributions. I am thankful for such great legacies that my ancestors have left that remind me to keep striving and reach back and teach our youth and make sure it is NEVER forgotten.

What occupies your time now?
My time now is occupied watching my children play basketball. My oldest is in his first year of college playing and my youngest is starting his second year of varsity high school basketball (as an eighth-grader). My team at Minneapolis North H.S., where I am in my third year coaching, consumes the rest of that time. Shout out to my husband for his unwavering support while I wear these hats.

Top Bottom