Michael Hurt's strong play

Block M

Reaction score
Can we kill the MH/MIAC thread already? He's on a B1G team and is finally beginning to play with confidence and a little more assertiveness. I can see why Pitino values his play since he plays so hard, moves well without the ball, and makes the right pass more often than not. It is good to see him finally taking some of those shots coming his way. He's a good shooter and needs to shoot more, IMO. His play was one of the positives from an otherwise disgusting loss.

Can we kill the MH/MIAC thread already? He's on a B1G team and is finally beginning to play with confidence and a little more assertiveness. I can see why Pitino values his play since he plays so hard, moves well without the ball, and makes the right pass more often than not. It is good to see him finally taking some of those shots coming his way. He's a good shooter and needs to shoot more, IMO. His play was one of the positives from an otherwise disgusting loss.

Yesterday was a good matchup for Hurt since Wiscy is very limited athletically. But even still, it was nice to see Hurt have the best game of his career. He's clearly a good shooter and needs to be more aggressive hunting for his shot from deep.

If you noticed in a time out Pitino reminded Hurt he had been telling the kid to be more aggressive ( shoot the ball ). And then he congratulated him. I love the way Pitino coaches these kids. The gophers played a good game, the refs took if from them.

I love seeing how much more confident Michael is playing. He's been a rare bright spot these past few weeks.

Go Gophers!!

If you noticed in a time out Pitino reminded Hurt he had been telling the kid to be more aggressive ( shoot the ball ). And then he congratulated him. I love the way Pitino coaches these kids. The gophers played a good game, the refs took if from them.

I caught that too and was happy to hear it

Nice stats by Hurt. Darn near a DD

15 points
8 rebs
43 minutes
4/5 FG
2/2 3pt

I keep thinking he could have been a difference maker late in the game if he played as confidently and aggressively as he did earlier in the evening.

I like his growth. I especially like how well he and Washington play together. They obviously enjoy being on the floor at the same time.

I keep thinking he could have been a difference maker late in the game if he played as confidently and aggressively as he did earlier in the evening.

I like his growth. I especially like how well he and Washington play together. They obviously enjoy being on the floor at the same time.

I would have rather seen Hurt take shots than Mason at the end. How weird is that?

This is exactly what I was hoping to see from Hurt all year, especially when Coffey and Pree went down. I pretty much gave up on him a week to early, thinking we would never see him be aggressive and fire on some of those open looks.

Side note; Dupree played so terrible, he basically lost the game for us. Easy to say in hindsight, but wish we would have ran with Harris and IW and put him on the bench.

This is exactly what I was hoping to see from Hurt all year, especially when Coffey and Pree went down. I pretty much gave up on him a week to early, thinking we would never see him be aggressive and fire on some of those open looks.

Side note; Dupree played so bad terrible, he basically lost the game for us. Easy to say in hindsight, but would have ran with Harris and IW and put him on the bench.

Dupree played fairly well in the second half (or at least made some shots), but was brutal in the first half. Agreed that we would have been better off with more minutes from Harris and IW. Guessing Pitino agrees in hindsight too. If we had a healthy/non-rusty Dupree, there's no way that game would have gone into overtime.

I don't think it has as much to do with his play as McBrayer and Mason, those two have been doing the I'll take over the game bit late in the game for three seasons and it generally doesn't work, they throw away the game plan and try to do it all by themselves, how many times did Murphy touch the ball late in the game.

Dupree played fairly well in the second half (or at least made some shots), but was brutal in the first half. Agreed that we would have been better off with more minutes from Harris and IW. Guessing Pitino agrees in hindsight too. If we had a healthy/non-rusty Dupree, there's no way that game would have gone into overtime.

Once again we got a clue how badly McBrayer is hurting when he got a perfect pass for an alley oop right out of the time out. He caught the pass and normally would have dunked but he didn't have the spring and missed the attempt at a layup. Beautiful play that he converts every time if he is healthy.

I don't think it has as much to do with his play as McBrayer and Mason, those two have been doing the I'll take over the game bit late in the game for three seasons and it generally doesn't work, they throw away the game plan and try to do it all by themselves, how many times did Murphy touch the ball late in the game.

He got a lot of touches late. He was 0-3 and then 1-2 from the free throw line. Late in the game it was either him or Mason. If you look at the play by play we drove to the hole almost every time up court but couldn't convert or pick up a foul call....

Once again we got a clue how badly McBrayer is hurting when he got a perfect pass for an alley oop right out of the time out. He caught the pass and normally would have dunked but he didn't have the spring and missed the attempt at a layup. Beautiful play that he converts every time if he is healthy.

Yup, was thinking the same thing.

I agree. He would be the best player in that conference by a fair margin. More importantly is he deserves kudos for a wonderful game last night and all the hard work he has put in the program.

Good game by Hurt, showing some offensive aggressiveness. He may not be a 20 PPG scorer, but he could get 12-15 easily by just looking at the basket more often and taking a mid-range jumper, not just the threes. Several guys need to hit the offensive boards. We have too many guys standing around the arc watching with maybe one guy underneath going for rebounds.

What game were you watching? Going scoreless for 5 minutes at the end of regulation is not a mark of good play.

Let's be realistic. Hurt did fine against an unathletic and poor Badger team. He proved that he could be serviceable in a lower mid-level league against teams like Wofford and Belmont, but he's not a quality starter in a B1G team.
That is no shot against his work ethic or his character. It's just an observation as to what level of basketball he's suited for.

He's now shooting nearly 50% from 3. Now to shoot more than one every other game...

He's now shooting nearly 50% from 3. Now to shoot more than one every other game...

Both Washington and Murphy need to look for Mike, who's getting open looks when they can get him the ball. There's a good deal of potential here. The guy's a good shooter.

There is a silver lining to Michael Hurt being able to play so many minutes for next season.

He's gained confidence and will be a valuable role player next season.

Good teams need players like Hurt! Glue guys, versatile, easy to play with, willing to sacrifice for the good of the team guys...but they also need have a niche. With this confidence growing and Mason graduating, Hurt could become a valuable piece of the puzzle the next two years. BUT the team will need to embrace him as a threat, as a guy that you better not leave open because we will find him and he will splash a three on you every time type of guy. Will he average 15, probably not, can he change the flow of a game, probably. Will he make guys around him better and do the little things to make the team better, probably. Then some nights he may have 15 pts and 6 rebs and a few assists. Good teams embrace players like this, and in turn they help you win games.

Good teams need players like Hurt! Glue guys, versatile, easy to play with, willing to sacrifice for the good of the team guys...but they also need have a niche. With this confidence growing and Mason graduating, Hurt could become a valuable piece of the puzzle the next two years. BUT the team will need to embrace him as a threat, as a guy that you better not leave open because we will find him and he will splash a three on you every time type of guy. Will he average 15, probably not, can he change the flow of a game, probably. Will he make guys around him better and do the little things to make the team better, probably. Then some nights he may have 15 pts and 6 rebs and a few assists. Good teams embrace players like this, and in turn they help you win games.
Hurt reminds me of Isaiah Dahlman. Remember Isaiah was the player Izzo told to transfer if he ever wanted playing time. On a good team, Hurt would get the same advice from Tino.

Top Bottom