Slow motion video of Davison tripping Mason

So much for our senior, all-conference guard getting respect from the officials during the critical play of the game.

Irregardless of the no-call, I have over and over and over again this year complained about Mason constantly going to the dish with the desire to pick up a foul. Going to the hoop strong, absorbing contact and finishing is one thing but going to the rim trying to express contact and yell for a foul has really gotten old and I feel like is part of the issue here. Looking for a bail out just isn't the way a senior, all-time player should attack a last second play.

Curious if the Big 10 will comment on this. Clearly this was at minimum a fake trip, at worst an actual trip. There is no question it was intentional. He threw his leg into Mason's path and then pulled it out right when he got there. Is something like this not reviewable? I'm sure the Big 10 loves having a guy who fakes injury-causing actions on the court in order to make a play.

Doubt it.

They'll be more likely to fine Richard for matter-of-factly calling it out in his postgame.

Plus, he doubled down on it on his show in the first 3 minutes. Gaardsy said something about a maybe missed call, and Pitino said, "No, it was definitely a missed call."

Plus, he doubled down on it on his show in the first 3 minutes. Gaardsy said something about a maybe missed call, and Pitino said, "No, it was definitely a missed call."

I missed the first part of the show. LOVE IT!

Whether or not contact was made (impossible to conclude from the video), an obvious tripping movement by the defender occurred. This should be called 99 times out of 100 and should have been called in that instance.

That’s a bit misleading. This is all immaterial because I can’t imagine a ref being able to see an inch of clear space and not calling a foul, but go back a frame and Mason is already taking off and falling forward. It doesn’t look like their feet ever touch and if the do, it’s after Mason has already started his action. He sold it a bit, which I do not blame him for. Also, Happ did get away with the push/nudge.

The only thing I will say is that you're never getting a call going to the hoop under 10 seconds on the road unless someone hits you in the face. And maybe not even then. Mason should have pulled up and shot a 3.

This is the equivalent of arguing that one bottom dwelling carp stopped another bottom dwelling carp from leaving the bottom.
Either way, both teams are bottom dwellers in the B1G and it isn't going to change this season.

Eff sakes. Get over it. Had mason not rolled his ankle he probably avoids contact with his leg. Mason was already on his way down prior to any contact. Not a foul. Quit b*tching about refs. They didn't lose the game for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBall worst post of the year award right there. Congrats!

So much for our senior, all-conference guard getting respect from the officials during the critical play of the game.

Name the last time the Gophers got a fair game called against Wisconsin (or add Indiana or Ohio State as well). This was just more of the same ol' same ol' awesome B1G favoritism that's been going on for many years.

Curious if the Big 10 will comment on this. Clearly this was at minimum a fake trip, at worst an actual trip. There is no question it was intentional. He threw his leg into Mason's path and then pulled it out right when he got there. Is something like this not reviewable? I'm sure the Big 10 loves having a guy who fakes injury-causing actions on the court in order to make a play.

They didn't comment about Wisconsin's Gas (arguably purposely, given the video evidence) sticking his foot under Dre's landing feet, either. Dre was never the same after that play.

BBall worst post of the year award right there. Congrats!

You've had the lead on that for some time now. Check his right foot. Would never have stayed up. Still at trip?. Yes I guess but certainly wasn't why we lost the game.

So has Davison always been a piece of sh1t or did he just turn into one when he put on the wisconsin uniform? I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to a MN native, but I'm not sure that I should.

I can't vouch for always but I watched him in about a half dozen games over his jr and sr years in HS and he was always crying, and flopping, and hacking, and grabbing. He has taken it too another level this year, however. He can shoot though.

I can't vouch for always but I watched him in about a half dozen games over his jr and sr years in HS and he was always crying, and flopping, and hacking, and grabbing. He has taken it too another level this year, however. He can shoot though.

He is actually a very impressive young man and going to be quite the player.

You've had the lead on that for some time now. Check his right foot. Would never have stayed up. Still at trip?. Yes I guess but certainly wasn't why we lost the game.

I agree, given that Davison's foot was intentionally directly in the path of his foot, damn straight he would have never stayed up. Glad we can agree.

He's already tripping, flopping, clutching, grabbing and shoving at an elite level. He picked up the system quickly. I guess the MN education system has served the Badgers well.

Looks 3/4 step slow to me but he is playing out of position. Would not swap any of our guys (current or incoming) for him. Good luck to him though.

The only thing I will say is that you're never getting a call going to the hoop under 10 seconds on the road unless someone hits you in the face. And maybe not even then. Mason should have pulled up and shot a 3.

This is one of my least favorite thing in all of sports. The idea that the rule book gets thrown out the window once X amount of time is left is just plain asinine. If a player decides the game by fouling, so be it. It's almost a disadvantage to have the ball last because some refs are complete cowards.

After watching clips of this, its pretty clear that a lot of fans are looking for excuses. The play was fine.

After watching clips of this, its pretty clear that a lot of fans are looking for excuses. The play was fine.

It is no excuse for the loss. As soon as Murphy missed the 2nd free throw I knew the game was over for us. But...that was an obvious trip.

The long and the short of it is that Mason could have and should have pulled up and shot a clean open jumper instead of continuing to drive into the trees. He couldn't have even been sure he had enough time to do what he was trying to do. The open 17-footer he could have had is a high-percentage shot for him. By continuing to drive, he risked a blocked shot or an uncalled foul.

The long and the short of it is that Mason could have and should have pulled up and shot a clean open jumper instead of continuing to drive into the trees. He couldn't have even been sure he had enough time to do what he was trying to do. The open 17-footer he could have had is a high-percentage shot for him. By continuing to drive, he risked a blocked shot or an uncalled foul.

Agree he was fouled, but he should have taken the best jumper possible.

This may be one of the most comical threads I have seen on Gopherhole in awhile. The assumptions people are making show either a lack of basketball knowledge, or rube nation being so blinded by the maroon colored glasses that they cannot even look at something objectively without thinking Gophers got Screwed. I by no means have all the answers but surely can be open minded.

1) Davison did not intentionally trip anyone here. No one intentionally trips anyone when the game is tied with a few seconds left. If you have ever played basketball you can clearly see he is trying to do the fake out where you step into help side defense to slow the drive down and you try to time it so the ball handler sees you and goes to kick out out to the corner guy that you are guarding and you try to steal it. In this instance Davison was a little slow getting back to his defender and he leg was "in the way"
2) with that being said there is no camera angle that shows without a doubt there was contact. Mason got hurt on the play but if you recall it was because he rolled his other ankle prior to the possible trip by Davison, so his momentum was already starting to take him to the ground.
3) Why does everyone all of a sudden jump on him calling him dirty and whiner? The only reason most dont like him is because he plays hard, plays physical, dives for loose balls and takes charges. He does the dirty work and because of that we call him dirty? The gophers have zero players who have that type of tenacity and its one of the many reasons they keep losing.
4) Refs, Refs Refs...we always blame the refs. I can guarantee you the refs do not care one bit who wins a bottom dweller game like we had against Wisconsin. To think these guys actually discuss or try to favor a team in any game is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. We lose because we shoot 70% from the free throw line. We lose because we are 12th in the Big10 in Field goal % and 10th in the Big10 in 3 point %. We lose because we are 13th in defensive rebounding in the Big10 and our "home court advantage" doesnt exist when we are 11th in attendance. ITS NOT THE REFS.
4) I can say all of this while being a Gopher Rube, a Basketball Season ticket holder and someone who has never met Davison. See you at the game tonight vs Iowa. I will be in my seats.

He's already tripping, flopping, clutching, grabbing and shoving at an elite level. He picked up the system quickly. I guess the MN education system has served the Badgers well.

Exactly. I thought that Showalter clown was done at Wisc.? Nope, just plug in next athletically limited hack who gets away with pushing, flopping and grabbing.

This may be one of the most comical threads I have seen on Gopherhole in awhile. The assumptions people are making show either a lack of basketball knowledge, or rube nation being so blinded by the maroon colored glasses that they cannot even look at something objectively without thinking Gophers got Screwed. I by no means have all the answers but surely can be open minded.

1) Davison did not intentionally trip anyone here. No one intentionally trips anyone when the game is tied with a few seconds left. If you have ever played basketball you can clearly see he is trying to do the fake out where you step into help side defense to slow the drive down and you try to time it so the ball handler sees you and goes to kick out out to the corner guy that you are guarding and you try to steal it. In this instance Davison was a little slow getting back to his defender and he leg was "in the way"
2) with that being said there is no camera angle that shows without a doubt there was contact. Mason got hurt on the play but if you recall it was because he rolled his other ankle prior to the possible trip by Davison, so his momentum was already starting to take him to the ground.
3) Why does everyone all of a sudden jump on him calling him dirty and whiner? The only reason most dont like him is because he plays hard, plays physical, dives for loose balls and takes charges. He does the dirty work and because of that we call him dirty? The gophers have zero players who have that type of tenacity and its one of the many reasons they keep losing.
4) Refs, Refs Refs...we always blame the refs. I can guarantee you the refs do not care one bit who wins a bottom dweller game like we had against Wisconsin. To think these guys actually discuss or try to favor a team in any game is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. We lose because we shoot 70% from the free throw line. We lose because we are 12th in the Big10 in Field goal % and 10th in the Big10 in 3 point %. We lose because we are 13th in defensive rebounding in the Big10 and our "home court advantage" doesnt exist when we are 11th in attendance. ITS NOT THE REFS.
4) I can say all of this while being a Gopher Rube, a Basketball Season ticket holder and someone who has never met Davison. See you at the game tonight vs Iowa. I will be in my seats.

You appear to be incorrect on this one...

Top Bottom