Underclassnen MN talent

There are too many guys to offer/get them all. There are also a lot of other players in the country. Insane to think we should only get Minnesota kids

Davidson is a totally different type of player than Wright. I have no problem with the Washington get as he very well may have been a better fit for what he wants to do. He gets to buy the groceries and then cook them. Further more there was virtually zero chance at Davison. He was heavy UW and had a close relationship with Gard. Incidentally, i could not find out much on Simons from every person i know other than the thought that he is a heavy lean to Florida. Gophers pushing hard to try and get that Josiah James visit.

I agree we need to recruit all over especially like our east coast pipeline. I would like to see us offer Tyrell Terry soon though. I especially like to see someone with a 4.0 GPA on top of talent. Makes me think of guys like Andre Hollins (4.7) or Nate Mason (4.3) though Terry is a different player than both and I know you don’t offer on gpa.

Wanted to make this thread to keep track of MN talent that could be future scholarship players or gophers. Excited about all the talent coming up in state.
2019:
Hurt
Zeke Nnanji
David Roddy
Courtney Brown
Tyrell Terry
Antawn Kimmons
Jamison Battle

Suggs
Ben Carlson
Terry Lockett
Dawson Garcia
Austin Andrews
Gabe Madsen
Mason Madsen

Kendal Brown

Definitely missing some I can’t think of and never know how much they will all grow but players to keep eyes on

I'd be really interested in getting some opinions from people who attend a lot Minnesota high school basketball. Hurt is clearly the top priority in '19, but what do you think of the rest of the '19 and '20 prospects? Is Nnaji a no-brainer take? In the '20 class, it seems like there is a lot of talent behind Suggs, but if you could only have Garcia or Carlson, who do you take? It's nice to see the talent in Minnesota stay so consistently strong.

I'd be really interested in getting some opinions from people who attend a lot Minnesota high school basketball. Hurt is clearly the top priority in '19, but what do you think of the rest of the '19 and '20 prospects? Is Nnaji a no-brainer take? In the '20 class, it seems like there is a lot of talent behind Suggs, but if you could only have Garcia or Carlson, who do you take? It's nice to see the talent in Minnesota stay so consistently strong.

Nnaji isn't a no-brainer but he does have a lot of potential. Terry the only other 19 that I would offer if I am the U. The rest or mid majors or borderline power 5 players. 2020 is a much better year Suggs, Carlson, & Garcia would be a top 10 class especially if we can get another out of high level out of state player.

Davidson is a totally different type of player than Wright. I have no problem with the Washington get as he very well may have been a better fit for what he wants to do. He gets to buy the groceries and then cook them. Further more there was virtually zero chance at Davison. He was heavy UW and had a close relationship with Gard. Incidentally, i could not find out much on Simons from every person i know other than the thought that he is a heavy lean to Florida. Gophers pushing hard to try and get that Josiah James visit.

I recall recruiting Davidson being slow, and he "blew up" after his junior year. According to The Journey the other night, he made a decision to go on a mission trip one summer when players begin to establish their reputations on the club circuit. No one saw him. When they finally saw him, they realized he was High Major quality and ready.

Good point, he should for sure get credit for passing on Illikainen. A lot of people on here ripped Pitino when Illikainen committed to Wisconsin. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Reuvers turns into Illikainen 2.0. I doubt it and think Nathan will have a good career, but I can hope.
I’ve seen parts of a dozen or so badger games, Reuvers most of the time has looked very good.

I already dislike Davison. I think had we had a scholarship open we would've got Wright, but wasted one on stockman

Talent is here to build core players for good team

I already dislike Davison. I think had we had a scholarship open we would've got Wright, but wasted one on stockman

Talent is here to build core players for good team

McKinley Wright was released from his letter of intent to Dayton on April 10th 2017, after having been committed for nearly 7 months, during which the Minnesota coaching staff likely had little to no contact with him. Matz Stockman transferred to Minnesota the very next day on April 11th 2017. Even if we had somehow gotten Wright instead of Stockman, we could be counting on a true freshman Oturu to play like 30 minutes at center next year. Wright would have been the third 6'0" guard in a recruiting class that was always intended to have a big man in it. At the time, I think hypothetically taking Wright would have been a puzzling decision.

To be fair, Davison is like 6'3" and seems to be a strong shooter, so I think he could play off the ball. But I also think the staff was still after a point guard and a big at the time Davison committed, and Theo John and Hasahn French were still on the board, not to mention Wright and Washington who seemed to be higher priorities at guard than Davison.

Hasahn French looks like he's done very well. Would've been a nice get. A recruiting class of Washington and Sims was my top choice but I think Washingotn and French was a close second.

Hasahn French looks like he's done very well. Would've been a nice get. A recruiting class of Washington and Sims was my top choice but I think Washingotn and French was a close second.

Looks like he's having a pretty solid freshman season with 2 blocks and 7 rebounds to go with nearly 10 points per game and over 50% from 2, though the 37% from the free throw line is ugly. I thought French had a visit scheduled here, which he canceled when we took Jamir Harris' commitment. I wonder if the staff decided that a sharp shooter was a more glaring need than a 6'7" PF who might get buried behind Murphy and Curry for 2 years. I also noticed French doesn't have a single 3 point attempt this season, so he's probably strictly an undersized low-post player, even more so than Jordan Murphy is.

Stockman

We had to take Stockman, how else could Sr Pitino have a scholarship in addition to the 100k he was offering Brian Bowen?

We had to take Stockman, how else could Sr Pitino have a scholarship in addition to the 100k he was offering Brian Bowen?

Pitinos are playing chess while the Gopherhole is playing checkers.

Pretty sure this is a joke, but the amount of people who think that us taking Stockman was the the only way Rick could get rid of him is astounding. Truly amazing.

It's a joke.

I figured, but some people on this board actually believe that Richard's motivation (or at least part of his motivation) for taking Stockman was to do Rick a favor, as if us taking him was the only way they could get rid of him. Hurts my head.

McKinley Wright was released from his letter of intent to Dayton on April 10th 2017, after having been committed for nearly 7 months, during which the Minnesota coaching staff likely had little to no contact with him. Matz Stockman transferred to Minnesota the very next day on April 11th 2017. Even if we had somehow gotten Wright instead of Stockman, we could be counting on a true freshman Oturu to play like 30 minutes at center next year. Wright would have been the third 6'0" guard in a recruiting class that was always intended to have a big man in it. At the time, I think hypothetically taking Wright would have been a puzzling decision.

Lets not bring facts into this

My opinion stands though.

Kalscheur and Oturu will make instant impact for us next year. Oturu will be huge boarding and blocking shots. Gabe will be that shooter who is big enough for 2 and great defender. I like omersa down the road with his athleticism. He’s still raw but will be good I think and will be tough to get minutes with curry and Murphy at same position. Now we need to get recruiting done in 19 and 20 and keep talent home while having mix of out of state.
We will have 6 scholarship MN kids next year...too bad Jarvis isn’t cleared

The little bit I have seen of Garcia and Carlson they seem to be the same stretch 4. Look a bit like Reuvers. Liked Garcia's lateral quickness better, while Carlson displayed toughness for a guy who needs weight. Both can get the rebound and run the break which is rare at 6-9 and as sophmore's. Both have inside/outside ability.

Tyler Wahl is super productive at 6-7. Not sure how he projects to division 1. Nice small forward, not sure if he can guard 3's at the high major level.

Tyler Wahl is super productive at 6-7. Not sure how he projects to division 1. Nice small forward, not sure if he can guard 3's at the high major level.

He'd be a great preferred walk on but I have to think he is headed to a school like South Dakota State.

The little bit I have seen of Garcia and Carlson they seem to be the same stretch 4. Look a bit like Reuvers. Liked Garcia's lateral quickness better, while Carlson displayed toughness for a guy who needs weight. Both can get the rebound and run the break which is rare at 6-9 and as sophmore's. Both have inside/outside ability.

I have never seen Carlson and toughness used in the same sentence before! Though I must say he guarded Oturu last night and did a reasonable job.

If anyone's watched some of Minnehaha, Chet Holmgren and Prince Aligbe are pretty promising in addition to Suggs. Holmgren needs to add a ton of weight, but is tall and has a nice shot and feel for the game as a 9th grader

Toughness is this sense, is having almost no upper body strength but he is willing to try and play in the post against physical players. There are many tall young players who want to only play on the perimeter.

If anyone's watched some of Minnehaha, Chet Holmgren and Prince Aligbe are pretty promising in addition to Suggs. Holmgren needs to add a ton of weight, but is tall and has a nice shot and feel for the game as a 9th grader
Aligbe should be a top 25-30 talent in his class no doubt. But the crown jewel of that class will be Trejuan Holloman at Mpls. North. Arguably the top rated PG in the 2022 class nationally. Oftentimes looked like the best player on the court starting as an 8th grader. Will be interesting to watch his development unfold over the next few years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Carlson vs Garcia

Could someone who has seen both Garcia, Prior Lake and Ben Carlson, East Ridge a few times, compare and contrast them?

I have only seen a game or too of each online.
Garcia doesnt quite look his listed 6-10, so I imagine they are both in that 6-9 range. Both can get the board and bring the ball up and find open players, drive to the hoop, or hit the 3, which is insane skill for sophmores.

Garcia seemed to be quicker and has more potential on defense to guard a tall perimeter player.

Carlson is rated on 247, I do not see Garcia. Is it about how good each team they are on is?

Top Bottom