Underclassnen MN talent

Goph33

Reaction score
Wanted to make this thread to keep track of MN talent that could be future scholarship players or gophers. Excited about all the talent coming up in state.
2019:
Hurt
Zeke Nnanji
David Roddy
Courtney Brown
Tyrell Terry
Antawn Kimmons
Jamison Battle

Suggs
Ben Carlson
Terry Lockett
Dawson Garcia
Austin Andrews
Gabe Madsen
Mason Madsen

Kendal Brown

Definitely missing some I can’t think of and never know how much they will all grow but players to keep eyes on

Tre Holloman's a 2022 kid that should be one to keep an eye on too.

I think Tyler Wahl in 2019 and Dain Dainja 2020 have a good shot at ending up as mid major players.

Nice List. For 2020 There is also Blaise Beauchamp and Drake Dobbs listed in various recruiting sites.

Wanted to make this thread to keep track of MN talent that could be future scholarship players or gophers. Excited about all the talent coming up in state.

Suggs
Ben Carlson
Terry Lockett
Dawson Garcia
Austin Andrews
Gabe Madsen
Mason Madsen

Kendal Brown

We need to lock these guys up considering we either passed or missed on some recruits in our reach. Pitino did a good job of locking it up in 2018 but is tough seeing MN talent that could make us great program is we got. I’m not counting Tyus Jones, Vaughn, Trent or Tre Jones as they weren’t reasonable
Davison
Wright
Macura
Travis
Sims
Reuvers
Pickford
Mitchell
Crandall
Thompson
Mar

We need to lock these guys up considering we either passed or missed on some recruits in our reach. Pitino did a good job of locking it up in 2018 but is tough seeing MN talent that could make us great program is we got. I’m not counting Tyus Jones, Vaughn, Trent or Tre Jones as they weren’t reasonable
Davison
Wright
Macura
Travis
Sims
Reuvers
Pickford
Mitchell
Crandall
Thompson
Mar

Reuvers and Wright would have been nice to get in 2017, with the 2018 class that would have been two pretty good years strictly on Minnesota talent.

Davison
Wright
Macura
Travis
Sims
Reuvers
Pickford
Mitchell
Crandall
Thompson
Mar

We also have gotten in the last four years

Lofton (I know he left, but he did come back to Pitino)
Lynch
Jarvis Johnson (Who had Michigan State and Iowa State offers)
Amir Coffey (Choose us over numerous power five offers)
Michael Hurt (Got on him early)

We can't get everyone man. Last year was tough, but Ruevers didn't have interest and is a perfect fit for Sconnie as was Davison. I venture to say we may have gotten Travis or Vaughn if Pitno was hired earlier. They hated Tubby, otherwise Thompson left early, Mar wasn't a fit. You could argue that Theo John may hurt, but we will see. Sim's was the only one that "was reasonable" that we really missed out on that we went after hard in the last 3 years for MN talent. Pitino is doing a pretty good job in our state.
It's also not fair to say that Harris and Washington were not better pick ups that Wright yet. So far sure, but he was able to go into a situation that he was the man right away. I love and want MN kids just as much as the next guy, but we need to get guys who fit our system and we need to understand we don't get to keep everyone.

It's also not fair to say that Harris and Washington were not better pick ups that Wright yet. So far sure, but he was able to go into a situation that he was the man right away. I love and want MN kids just as much as the next guy, but we need to get guys who fit our system and we need to understand we don't get to keep everyone.

I feel comfortable saying Wright and Davidson would have been better pickups than Harris and Washington. What is our system? I haven’t seen a true identity or system after 5 years.

I feel comfortable saying Wright and Davidson would have been better pickups than Harris and Washington. What is our system? I haven’t seen a true identity or system after 5 years.

I agree with Wright, curious as to why you are so certain with Davison though. Hes a nice player but I would say nobody could really make a judgment between who will be better between Davison and Washington.

Without google, could you honestly tell me the system and identity outside of any program not named Wisconsin in the B10? Systems and identity fluctuate with players coming and going.

I agree with Wright, curious as to why you are so certain with Davison though. Hes a nice player but I would say nobody could really make a judgment between who will be better between Davison and Washington.

Without google, could you honestly tell me the system and identity outside of any program not named Wisconsin in the B10? Systems and identity fluctuate with players coming and going.

It may be too early to tell with Davidson but I like his shooting ability and size.
I think our lack of defense could be our identity at this point.

Might be wrong but I thought Pitino was all about playing fast and pressing??? Hmmm.

I would guess that everyone wants great athletes who are good ball handlers, shooters, and have the desire to play solid D and rebound.

I agree with you. I was just emphasizing that we have talent in state and if we are to turn corner we need top guys to stay. Although we could turn corner with out of state guys. In state I think we did good in 15,16,18. We missed on 14 and 17 big though. For 17, I take Washington over guys and that was right grab. I like Wright a lot and I think he comes to MN if we don’t get Washington but obviously doesn’t come with Washington committting. We also needed shooter so Harris wasn’t bad grab but he’s a Small off guard which makes it harder to rebound/defend. We should’ve went after Davison and Reuvers more though I think they go to Sconnie regardless. We also recruited other guys that was worth scholarship at time but missed. Just unfortunate we couldn’t get anyone with loaded 17 class. 2014 was just plain terrible except for Mason.

Does Pitino get any bonus points for passing on Illikainen and Anim? To be fair Anim’s stats seem decent, but I never see anyone chiding the staff for not taking him.

I think Tyler Wahl in 2019 and Dain Dainja 2020 have a good shot at ending up as mid major players.

Dain should easily be more than a mid major. He’s 15, 6’9ish with mad post up skills and foot work. He’s also my cousins son and a kid I coached but I don’t think I’m biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Pitino get any bonus points for passing on Illikainen and Anim? To be fair Anim’s stats seem decent, but I never see anyone chiding the staff for not taking him.

Good point, he should for sure get credit for passing on Illikainen. A lot of people on here ripped Pitino when Illikainen committed to Wisconsin. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Reuvers turns into Illikainen 2.0. I doubt it and think Nathan will have a good career, but I can hope.

Dain should easily be more than a mid major. He’s 15, 6’9ish with mad post up skills and foot work. He’s also my cousins son and a kid I coached but I don’t think I’m biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he expected to keep growing taller? Obviously he is young, but some kids are done growing by the time they are 16. I think Mid Major is the absolute floor for both players, they could obviously develop into p5 players, you never know when they are so young.

I'd forgotten about Anim...looks like he's having a decent season, and just had a 26 point game on Saturday.

Also, I don't think we "passed" on Illkainen. Others can correct me but I recall us being hot on his trail but losing out to Wiscy.

I'd forgotten about Anim...looks like he's having a decent season, and just had a 26 point game on Saturday.

Also, I don't think we "passed" on Illkainen. Others can correct me but I recall us being hot on his trail but losing out to Wiscy.

We had taken a commitment from Jonathan Nwankwo. We had no open scholarships when he committed to Wisconsin.

Is he expected to keep growing taller? Obviously he is young, but some kids are done growing by the time they are 16. I think Mid Major is the absolute floor for both players, they could obviously develop into p5 players, you never know when they are so young.

He’s young so I hope he has another 2-3,” I don’t see Dain as a 4 so there are limitations in that regard. Because there is such dearth of true 5’s, hopefully the pendulum will swing back towards that direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why the heck did Pitino not recruit Davison?? I know he offered but didn’t even talk to him. Plus such a high quality kid and leader

Why the heck did Pitino not recruit Davison?? I know he offered but didn’t even talk to him. Plus such a high quality kid and leader

I think that Pitino's order of preference for PGs was Washington, Wright, then Davison. I really think that Pitino also spent a lot of time on Jericho Sims and Race Thompson. I don't think we ever planned on taking a player like Harris. If we would have landed Washington and Sims, that would have been an amazing class and would have satisfied the in state fans.

For sure Washington and sims was dream class but still how can you not recruit Davison as a backup option?

I think we did, but he was the 3rd choice after Wright. Wisconsin came along and what are you gonna do say no? Wisconsin had made the tournament and made deep runs during his entire high school career. I wish we would have landed Wright over Davison if we had a do over. He fits the style of this team better.

Yeah Davison is perfect fit for Sconnie. We didn’t offer Davison until week before he committed to Sconnie and didn’t even talk to him prior

I think we did, but he was the 3rd choice after Wright. Wisconsin came along and what are you gonna do say no? Wisconsin had made the tournament and made deep runs during his entire high school career. I wish we would have landed Wright over Davison if we had a do over. He fits the style of this team better.

For sure. It's tough to blame Pitino here, as Wright is pretty clearly a better player than Davison is.

Do you think two pgs would've taken scholarships in the same class?

I think of Davidson as more of an off guard. Maybe I am wrong though?

Do you think two pgs would've taken scholarships in the same class?

To be fair, Davison is like 6'3" and seems to be a strong shooter, so I think he could play off the ball. But I also think the staff was still after a point guard and a big at the time Davison committed, and Theo John and Hasahn French were still on the board, not to mention Wright and Washington who seemed to be higher priorities at guard than Davison.

Top Bottom