***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

The Badgers are really, really bad. Worse than I thought. Maybe things will look up for them next year with incoming players but if not Gard could be in trouble. Players they have are not amazing.
They suck and will not recover. Wisconsin basketball under Bo Ryan is dead. They have now been relegated to the realm of the Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa type programs.

Bo Ryan leaving will do to their program what Bill Self leaving for Kansas did to Illinois.

Two months. But he's said it wouldn't have mattered. He knew where he was going.

247 recruiting profile says it was 4 days. Seems like he wasn’t very interested in us and we weren’t very interested in him.

I’ll bet Washington injures fewer players in his college career than Davison does.

Last time the Gophs choked a game like this on the road, they came home, played like heck, and suffered a disappointing loss.
Sounds like Senior Night to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What are the odds Mason plays in 2 days against Iowa?

We'll see. Looks positive that he finished the game out on it but if it swells then probably not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give Washington Mason's minutes. We're building for next year.

I like how one team looked completely lost yet still made it to overtime. I am glad Gard sucks too

This kind of response just blows my mind. Like did you watch the game? Wisconsin was at least getting clean looks at the basket or drawing fouls in the last 5 minutes of the game. Gard can't make his guys make the wide open 3...What Gopher possession even had a quality look?

From 58-51, these are the Gopher possessions

McBrayer turnover: Absolutely inexcusable to get picked by a Freshman here, just flat out horrific open court turnover from McBrayer

Murphy missed jumper: forced tough shot

Mason miss in the paint: forced prayer late in the clock

McBrayer miss in the paint: another forced prayer late in the clock

Mason missed jumper: another late shock clock low percentage look

Murphy miss in the paint, O board, Hurt missed mid range jumper: 2 more heavily contested low percentage looks

Murphy 1-2 from the line: absolutely killer to miss that second free throw after making the harder one

Mason "miss" in the paint: This was the buzzer beater where he was tripped and then threw the ball up

The color commentary said on the air tonight if it is incidental contact it is fine

I don’t think that tripping is just allowed if it’s incidental. I feel like I can remember plenty of times when a player dives for a loose ball or hits the deck for some other reason and an opposing player trips over him while he’s lying/sitting in place and it’s called a foul.

I don’t think that tripping is just allowed if it’s incidental. I feel like I can remember plenty of times when a player dives for a loose ball or hits the deck for some other reason and an opposing player trips over him while he’s lying/sitting in place and it’s called a foul.

You’re wrong. It is only a foul if you try to do it. That’s what the announcer said

This kind of response just blows my mind. Like did you watch the game? Wisconsin was at least getting clean looks at the basket or drawing fouls in the last 5 minutes of the game. Gard can't make his guys make the wide open 3...What Gopher possession even had a quality look?

McBrayer turnover: Absolutely inexcusable to get picked by a Freshman here, just flat out horrific open court turnover from McBrayer

Murphy miss in the paint, O board, Hurt missed mid range jumper: 2 more heavily contested low percentage looks

Murphy 1-2 from the line: absolutely killer to miss that second free throw after making the harder one

Mason "miss" in the paint: This was the buzzer beater where he was tripped and then threw the ball up

I like, did watch the game
Thanks for asking.

I have no idea how anyone can pick on Pitino for that game. He had the team ready. They played hard and they had a smart plan. They couldn't make plays down the stretch and Pritzl made the threes Wisky needed. We get the one block out at the lone or we get that foul before the shot on Gaston (on Happ) or they call a foul on the trip and we win. None of it happened. It's just that kind of year. I'm proud of the players and coach.
This. More than just the missed trip call on Wisconsin down the stretch too. Murphy got dragged down by Happ, Happ got away with a travel, Gaston and Murphy both fouled Happ that should've sent him to the free throw line down 2 plenty more too going back further and that always seems to be the case in Wisconsin.

They suck and will not recover. Wisconsin basketball under Bo Ryan is dead. They have now been relegated to the realm of the Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa type programs.

Bo Ryan leaving will do to their program what Bill Self leaving for Kansas did to Illinois.

A very slow fade from good to average over 10 years? Bruce Weber wasn't nearly as bad as people make it seem.

It isn't. That was Steve Lavin performing a verbal pretzel to avoid criticizing the refs for not making the call.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

There were some open looks during these possessions but guys passed them up and looked like they didn't want the ball. Especially strange to see this from the veteran guards.

A very slow fade from good to average over 10 years? Bruce Weber wasn't nearly as bad as people make it seem.
He had two really good years and then faded into oblivion.
Likewise, gard won with bo Ryan’s last good roster and will be a mediocre program from here on out.

61-61 in big ten play his last 8 years.
50-56 his last 7.

28-4 his first two
39-9 his first 3.

Greg gard 24-12 his first two

247 recruiting profile says it was 4 days. Seems like he wasn’t very interested in us and we weren’t very interested in him.

I’ll bet Washington injures fewer players in his college career than Davison does.

Marcus Fuller reports a couple months in today's paper, but it doesn't matter. Reminds me of Joe Krabbenhoft, whose parents sang him the Rouser in his crib, but when the time came, his choice was clear. Play for Bo Ryan or Dan Monson. Easy. According to Lavin, Davison's parents have Gopher season tickets, but Brad had to do what made sense.

He had two really good years and then faded into oblivion.
Likewise, gard won with bo Ryan’s last good roster and will be a mediocre program from here on out.

Making the NCAA tournament 4 out of the next 6 years is "fading into oblivion"? It's Illinois, not Kentucky.

Marcus Fuller reports a couple months in today's paper, but it doesn't matter. Reminds me of Joe Krabbenhoft, whose parents sang him the Rouser in his crib, but when the time came, his choice was clear. Play for Bo Ryan or Dan Monson. Easy. According to Lavin, Davison's parents have Gopher season tickets, but Brad had to do what made sense.

Pitino out coached Gard tonight. But Davison fits the slower Badger system- that is true.

Making the NCAA tournament 4 out of the next 6 years is "fading into oblivion"? It's Illinois, not Kentucky.

I suppose you think Pam Borton did a great job with women’s basketball too since our school traditionally sucks at it

Pitino out coached Gard tonight. But Davison fits the slower Badger system- that is true.

He also fits the "flop, grab, shove and trip as much as you can get away with" part of their system.

It isn't. That was Steve Lavin performing a verbal pretzel to avoid criticizing the refs for not making the call.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Speaking of announcers, did anybody (other than me) hear one of the announcers refer to the axe (right as they were cutting to a commercial late in the game), as if the two teams were playing for it?

Not down the stretch he didn't, and that's when games are won. The listen-ins to the huddles during the timeouts were damning. Gard's huddles were way better coaching.

I suppose you think Pam Borton did a great job with women’s basketball too since our school traditionally sucks at it

Great job? No. But decent for the first several years. It is similar actually. MN was no prize. Oldfield came in, built it up and bailed. It's not like Illinois was ripping off Elite 8's at the end of Lou Henson's tenure. Self had a couple good years and so did Weber. Making the NCAA's 75% of the time is acceptable most places, including Illinois. He faded at the end, but is pretty well at K-State too.

Why did we go into a prevent offense in the last six minutes of regulation? Completely ignored Murphy at the end.

I have to keep telling myself there are only a few more games of Bakary and Gaston. SERENITY NOW!

Easily a foul by Davison. Should be called 100 times out of 100 no matter the situation. It looked like he knew he messed up too, then was surprised nothing was called.

Why did we go into a prevent offense in the last six minutes of regulation? Completely ignored Murphy at the end.

I have to keep telling myself there are only a few more games of Bakary and Gaston. SERENITY NOW!

Easily a foul by Davison. Should be called 100 times out of 100 no matter the situation. It looked like he knew he messed up too, then was surprised nothing was called.

Murphy had 3 shots blocked in the last 4 minutes. They didn’t ignore him, he got outplayed.

Right on.
Our offense just doesn't employ back cuts and movement away from the ball...especially in crunch time. Instead we weave and then go one on two with a wack shot tossed up at the rim.

Murphy had 3 shots blocked in the last 4 minutes. They didn’t ignore him, he got outplayed.

If I remember correctly, most of his touches at the end were near the end of the shot clock so he had to scramble.

Another thing I forgot to add. Stop rewarding flopping! It’s so bad sometimes.

While Gard is definitely a step down from Bo Ryan, I think this is wishful thinking on your part. I need to see another losing conference season from them next year before I'd make any such bold statements. They are missing two key guys with injuries, have a pretty overall rotten bench, quite a bit of inexperience, and yet they still are going to finish likely 6-12 or 7-11.

Heck, I'd even wager that the Badgers will squeak into the tournament next year while the Gophers will be sitting at home again watching it on TV. But on the bright side of that, at least the failed Pitino experiment should come to an end then.

Top Bottom