0:06 Ethan Happ made Layup. 59 - 59
0:05 Minnesota Timeout 59 - 59
0:00 Nate Mason missed Layup.

Down the stretch

Murphy 0-3 1-2 FT
Mason 0-3
Hurt 0-1
McBrayer 0-1

The best players we have left went 0-8 over the last 4:20 of regulation. Make one shot or Murph makes the 2nd FT and everybody is happy.

One point on the officials. If you are going to call Konate for an over the back foul on a free throw rebound with less than 15 seconds to play, you also need to call the Davison trip with less than a second to play. If your "letting the kids decide it" (always have hated that BS) then you don't call either.

Underrated point. That seemed like a ticky tack and unnecessary call, particularly since Iverson cleanly grabbed the rebound anyway.

Despite the fact that both of these teams have suffered major injuries this season, We had the first team all Big Ten point guard from last year, Murphy and a suspect McBrayer, you cannot lose to this Wisky team. This is embarrassing and there is no justifying this loss. Not making a field goal in the final 5 minutes of regulation is a joke. This was a pitiful performance.

For one, even though the season was done a month ago, losing to to becky hurts just as much. My dad and I are big time Gopher fans, and for his birthday today I was going to buy us tickets for the game. I talked to him last week, and said "Its more than likely going to be a long ride back to Minnesota after the game." We agreed that I'd be getting Wolves tickets instead.

My main problem tonight were with the rotations that Pitino was putting out there. The fact that McBrayer doesn't practice and walks around in a walking boot is concerning..precautionary, but still concerning. Then to see him play 38 minutes in a game where he did not look ready to play.

The next thing is Isaiah Washington playing 14 minutes. At the end of the game and into overtime, Wisconsin was on a 21-3 run or somewhere around there. The Gophers offense continued to run their motion offense and look lackadaisical passing the ball around the perimeter. Now, overtime was what made me upset. I get wasting time when you have a lead late into the second half, but when they got down they continued to do the same thing, acting as if they were up by 8 points still. Better yet, they run it with Mason, McBrayer, and Hurt. Two of them can't take the ball the basket (Michael just refuses to at times) and probably the most aggressive player is sitting on the bench. I don't understand how Washington plays only 14 min, compared to the 30 plus he's been playing in the last 4 games. From what I've seen in those games that Washington has played many minutes it provided a glimmer of light.

Sorry for the long post! I'll cut it short here. Just the icing on the cake for the season the mens basketball has had. Absolutely excited about next year, but dang if this year didn't rip my heart out a little bit.

I do understand why they went from Washington back to McBrayer. The big guard was doing better penetrating the defense than the smaller guard. That said, though, how else is Washington going to learn how to attack bigger teams like Wisconsin other than to play against them? Only 14 minutes isn't enough for next year's probable starting point guard. Huge strategic error by the coaching staff.

I have no idea how anyone can pick on Pitino for that game. He had the team ready. They played hard and they had a smart plan. They couldn't make plays down the stretch and Pritzl made the threes Wisky needed. We get the one block out at the lone or we get that foul before the shot on Gaston (on Happ) or they call a foul on the trip and we win. None of it happened. It's just that kind of year. I'm proud of the players and coach.

Here here. Well stated.

Why did we go into a prevent offense in the last six minutes of regulation? Completely ignored Murphy at the end.

I have to keep telling myself there are only a few more games of Bakary and Gaston. SERENITY NOW!

Easily a foul by Davison. Should be called 100 times out of 100 no matter the situation. It looked like he knew he messed up too, then was surprised nothing was called.
LOL! Serenity Now! Should be out motto for the next year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

308 responses to a Wisconsin thread? This indicates just how pathetic the program has become. Let's all accept mediocrity and wait for next year in the hopes that it will be better.

Just the icing on the cake for the season the mens basketball has had. Absolutely excited about next year, but dang if this year didn't rip my heart out a little bit.

I can't watch anymore this season. Last night's epic meltdown just left too bad of a taste in my mouth. I admire those of you who choose to persevere but I'm out through the end of the season. Next November I'll have a refreshed attitude.

Despite the fact that both of these teams have suffered major injuries this season, We had the first team all Big Ten point guard from last year, Murphy and a suspect McBrayer, you cannot lose to this Wisky team. This is embarrassing and there is no justifying this loss. Not making a field goal in the final 5 minutes of regulation is a joke. This was a pitiful performance.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. For 5 minutes we ran our weave around the arc and then force a shot one against two (or more) as the clock ran down. The lack of off ball screens and back cuts is disturbing. The Gophers become a very easy team to guard because they move horizontal to the rim rather than cut toward the rim.
Most of this is on the coaches and their offensive scheme. Wrong scheme for the personale on the court.

Even my most cynical side never saw the season being this bad. This hurts, especially if the hammer on the NCAA scandal comes down prior to March Madness

Davison absolutely tripped Mason and he should've been at the free throw line, but it also shouldn't have come down to that. Gaston Diedhiou has zero business being on the floor late in regulation attempting to guard Ethan Happ. Unless Fitzgerald can't play for some reason, that's coaching malpractice. Diedhiou has no chance in that situation, other than to foul Happ.

The Gophers played very good for 35 minutes, and it came down to not boxing out and getting a rebound off the missed FT. Get that, make FTs at your own end and the skid's over. It is what it is.

I have no idea what McBrayer is thinking trying to drive on defenders with one leg. I love the effort and energy, but know your limitations. He has zero lift at the rim, none, and then wonders why his shot gets blocked or throws up a wild looking lay-up. Nate Mason needed to take control in the last 5 minutes when the offensive sets got sloppy. He needed to demand the ball and run the offense, and he did neither. You're a senior point guard, your team is depleted and tired, and needs you. Go get the ball, but instead he stands there and watches McBrayer, Murphy and Hurt force tough shots.

It shouldn't come down to needing a foul call at the buzzer to win a game.

Davison absolutely tripped Mason and he should've been at the free throw line, but it also shouldn't have come down to that. Gaston Diedhiou has zero business being on the floor late in regulation attempting to guard Ethan Happ. Unless Fitzgerald can't play for some reason, that's coaching malpractice. Diedhiou has no chance in that situation, other than to foul Happ.

The Gophers played very good for 35 minutes, and it came down to not boxing out and getting a rebound off the missed FT. Get that, make FTs at your own end and the skid's over. It is what it is.

I have no idea what McBrayer is thinking trying to drive on defenders with one leg. I love the effort and energy, but know your limitations. He has zero lift at the rim, none, and then wonders why his shot gets blocked or throws up a wild looking lay-up. Nate Mason needed to take control in the last 5 minutes when the offensive sets got sloppy. He needed to demand the ball and run the offense, and he did neither. You're a senior point guard, your team is depleted and tired, and needs you. Go get the ball, but instead he stands there and watches McBrayer, Murphy and Hurt force tough shots.

Wonder what the deal is with Fitzgerald not playing. Don't think he got in at all. Sttange. Dogjouse?

On a good note the defense was very good last night. Players lost the game not coach Pitino. Iwould have played IW more but coach knows his team far better than i ever will. perhaps he kept him out because of his poor defense.

308 responses to a Wisconsin thread? This indicates just how pathetic the program has become. Let's all accept mediocrity and wait for next year in the hopes that it will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Mason faked him to the side then rolled his ankle and was going down prior to any contact. Unfortunate but not a trip. Had mason not rolled his ankle he likely avoids contact with his leg and gets a better but still contested shot off. No business calling that a trip or getting to the line. Correct on your last line though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder what the deal is with Fitzgerald not playing. Don't think he got in at all. Sttange. Dogjouse?

Until you mentioned this it didn't even occur to me that he didn't play. That is not a good sign.

Also, I'm pretty sure Konate outscored and outrebounded Happ before he fouled out!

Until you mentioned this it didn't even occur to me that he didn't play. That is not a good sign.

Also, I'm pretty sure Konate outscored and outrebounded Happ before he fouled out!

In fairness to Happ, he was relentlessly following a strategy of passing off to others when he was double teamed (which was most of the time). I thought Bakary played pretty good defense on him but Happ was deliberately trying to get the ball to others. In the latter stages of the game he asserted himself more on the offensive end.

Top Bottom