B1G Game 15: Gophers Host Indiana (2-20-18)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
It's Senior Day for Carlie, Jessie and Bryanna. Here's a Carlie Wagner: A 2014-15 Gopher Women's Basketball Feature:

P.S. Good riddance to Tyra Buss

And once again for our viewing enjoyment, here are Carlie and Jessie featured in one of the greatest plays in Gopher history.

So, Iggy, you're the anti-Buss? Ha. I'll admit that I like her, although I question whether she'll ever do anything in the W, as she is a bit frail and she's not a good enough outside shooter. But I understand your sentiment...when Ivory Latta was playing for North Carolina, I couldn't stand her. I'm thinking that the Gophers should be able to keep Buss under control, but I'm a bit more worried about Cahill. Also, Indiana's freshman Penn is a terrific player, a 5-star recruit out of Louisville.

So, Iggy, you're the anti-Buss? Ha. I'll admit that I like her, although I question whether she'll ever do anything in the W, as she is a bit frail and she's not a good enough outside shooter. But I understand your sentiment...when Ivory Latta was playing for North Carolina, I couldn't stand her. I'm thinking that the Gophers should be able to keep Buss under control, but I'm a bit more worried about Cahill. Also, Indiana's freshman Penn is a terrific player, a 5-star recruit out of Louisville.

Yes, I'm the anti-Buss :). Although the only thing that truly annoys me about Buss is the "brush the defender, crash to the floor and plead for the foul" move. (Buss gets that call much less this season; but still too often). Ivory Latta I loved watching play.

And like most people Cahill worries me because she just pops up everywhere. However, last year in Bloomington it was Alexis Gassion that did us in with 26 points. Fortunately she's gone. The freshman Penn has picked up her game from about the mid-season point.

http://www.startribune.com/senior-gophers-women-closing-careers-at-the-barn-vs-indiana/474530703/

Carlie Wagner knows senior night will be emotional.

“I already warned Coach Nik, and she’s ready for me,” Wagner said, referring to assistant head coach Nikita Lowry Dawkins. “She’s got tissues ready.”

Wagner and teammates Jessie Edwards and Bryanna Fernstrom will be honored during Tuesday’s Gophers women’s basketball game against Indiana at Williams Arena. Wagner is the only one of the three to play all four years in Minnesota.

Coach Marlene Stollings knows it will be an emotional game for everyone. Even before the Gophers (21-6, 10-4) beat No. 10 Maryland 93-74 Sunday, Stollings said she wasn’t looking forward to Wagner’s last game at Williams Arena.

Stollings and Wagner started their time at the University of Minnesota together, four seasons ago.

“I call her the poster child of our program since her arrival,” Stollings said.

The coach couldn’t recall a single game day or practice where Wagner arrived in the gym and “just didn’t feel like it that day,” Stollings said.

“Never once has that happened,” Stollings said. “And you can’t say that hardly about any player that you’ve ever coached. She brings that enthusiasm every single day, and work ethic.”

Where'd you see that? She's starting according to Gophers WBB twitter account.

Nice start for the maroon and gold. 7-0!

Where'd you see that? She's starting according to Gophers WBB twitter account.

Maybe they decided to go big, but she didn't start.

indstart624.jpg

Hmm.... looking like Hubbard might be out. :(

Unfortunate they couldn't take advantage of that 7 pt lead. Looked pretty sloppy after that.

19-19 end of first

Injury? Hopefully nothing serious.

EDIT: Radio says she participated in shoot around today but they will be trying to find out why she isn't playing.

Looking like a different team tonight. No great ball movement. Bell taking bad jumpers instead of looking for teammates.

Not playing well tonight...hopefully they can pick it up.

Only down 2 and haven't looked great plus no three pointers yet. I'll take it. Defend Buss tighter in the 2nd and it's a W.

42-40 IND at the half

MIN 0-7 from three
IND 6-14 from three

Pace looks a little slow without Gadiva in there, look tentative in taking the three shot. Hopefully can make some adjustments at halftime. Sounded like Gophers wanted to get them into foul trouble but not playing aggressive enough, maybe because of their own short bench?

Shocker to see deep-bencher Perez in this game already.

Carlie racking up steals. That one midway through the third was vicious.

Can't make a three tonight and they've had good looks...they just aren't falling.

Gophers have 14 steals so far. Gotta capitalize on them!

Kenisha Bell is killing the team right now. She's out of control.

Pitts & Bell picked a bad game to not be able to hit the ocean. Carlie trying to carry the team.

Gophers picked the wrong day to have a bad shooting game.

Carlie is doing her best, but she's getting almost no help on offense. Defensive recognition has been poor all night long, especially on Buss from beyond the arc. On offense, the team has missed wide open looks from outside and a whole bunch of bunnies inside. Just a poor, poor game any way you slice it. Carlie brought it big-time. Unfortunately for her, virtually nobody else did.

Top Bottom