A few notes from Mark Coyle

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Mark Coyle was on the Sports Huddle this morning. (sunday, feb 18).

As far as basketball-related topics:

Coyle said his biggest concern is whether the players are playing hard, and he feels this year's team is still playing hard. Also went through the "4 of top 6 players out" routine. rough quote: "at one point, we were ranked 12th in the Country. Then the injuries started." If they mentioned anything about Lynch, I missed it.

Looking back, I'm not sure Pitino's name was even mentioned, and certainly nothing about his future.

Talked a lot about the B1G men's tournament being in NYC. Coyle talked about how the B1G wants a bigger East Coast presence after adding Maryland and Rutgers. He did say he expects the conference tournament to be in Chicago or Indy most years. Said he would love to see the tournament in the Twin Cities.

There was also some talk about MN hosting the Final Four next year. Some Gopher staffers will be working with the NCAA on the preparations. They'll be going to this year's Final Four to watch the event and get some notes on planning and logistics.

There was also some more general talk about the Athletes' Village and its impact on the overall program. Older buildings being re-worked to benefit other sports. Athletes love the new facilities. Coyle talked about the nutrition center and the academic and career-planning aspects of the facility. Said he feels MN now has facilities that compare favorably with any other school in the B1G.

Strange that the Twin Cities is suitable to host a Final Four but not - at least so far - a Big Ten Tournament.

Belongs in Chicago, the city with more BIG 10 alumni than any other city. Fantastic city, great facilities.

Belongs in Chicago, the city with more BIG 10 alumni than any other city. Fantastic city, great facilities.
The centrality of Chicago makes it the best location. NYC may be a fun city, but it is an outlier in the B1G, not the heart of the B1G.

Wherever it is, the championship game should be he last game before the bracket is announced.

I'd love to see the B10 championship rotate between Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Detroit and maybe Columbus.

That way all B10 alumni and fans get the opportunity to see the tourney.

I'd love to see the B10 championship rotate between Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Detroit and maybe Columbus.

+1. I would love if it rotated as well.

Add Pittsburgh.

Top Bottom