Amir Coffey to undergo surgery, ending his season

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers announced sophomore guard Amir Coffey will undergo surgery on his right shoulder, ending his season. Coffey missed ten games with an HAGL ligament tear in his right shoulder. He made a brief return before re-injuring his shoulder on Jan. 23. It was just one of many forms of adversity the Gophers faced this year. Eric Curry tore his ACL in the offseason, Reggie Lynch was suspended and Dupree McBrayer has been battling a leg injury all season.

With three games remaining, the team elected to provide Coffey with an opportunity to recover fully for the 2018 season. Coffey averaged 14.1 points and 4.1 rebounds per game during his sophomore season. He could miss six months following surgery next week. According to a physical therapist who broke down the injury, Coffey will be out for at least three months. There are no concerns for his future if proper rehab and successful surgery occur.

It's just another challenge for Coffey, who battled back from an ACL tear during his high school career at Hopkins.

I'm surprised they waited this long to be honest.
Best wishes with the recovery and rehab, Amir.

I'm surprised they waited this long to be honest.
Best wishes with the recovery and rehab, Amir.

Yes, and pleased it is now so he can play next year versus waiting and not being ready. Praying for a healthy happy Amir.

I'm glad Amir is getting his shoulder fixed. Speaking as someone with a crappy shoulder, this is nothing to take lightly.

Unfortunately, this adds to feeling of this season finishing before March begins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm assuming it's a no, but any way that Amir can qualify for a medical RS?

I'm assuming it's a no, but any way that Amir can qualify for a medical RS?

I think like Trevor, if God forbid, he has another injury where's just past the 30% threshold, it increases his odds of getting another year. Short of that, no, I don't think so.

Why did it take this long to declare this? The staff/University didn't know about the severity of his injury? They had to have.

Were they stringing along ticket holders with the hope that Coffey would be coming back?

Why did it take this long to declare this? The staff/University didn't know about the severity of his injury? They had to have.

Were they stringing along ticket holders with the hope that Coffey would be coming back?

Wow your really looking more into this than you should be! I'm sure they thought of would he be ready by next year but I'm thinking of the percentage of ticket holders that were in consideration on the timing of this is probably 0 percent.

The recovery time is 6-8 months, which means it's getting borderline to ensure he'll make it back for the start of practice. And it's increasingly meaningless to try and bring him back for 1-2 games.

The recovery time is 6-8 months, which means it's getting borderline to ensure he'll make it back for the start of practice. And it's increasingly meaningless to try and bring him back for 1-2 games.

I'm sure they have everything figured out. No reason to talk about it anymore. He will be ready to go next year.

Very simple. Amir wanted to play this year. He hoped it would heal without surgery. There is no do over...he can't get the missed games back...but if there was any chance he could still play any remaining games this year he wanted to. It just didn't heal with rest and rehabilitation so the calendar says surgery is the answer to be able to play next year. Nothing more to it.

Best of luck, see you at the start of next year Amir!

Tough kid, he gutted it out and played hurt, gotta respect that.

This is absurd and absolutely ridiculous. Pitino said multiple times Amir wanted to try and play through the injury and avoid surgery if he could. He wanted to play and help the team as much as he could while they still had a minimal chance to have a decent season. With the other injuries and Lynch gone as well as any postseason opportunities, it's best to have the surgery and be healthy for next year.

With any shoulder injury I’ve ever experienced as a player or coach, the medical advice is always try to rehab first and then surgery second. Even on torn rotator cuffs at times.

They aren’t going to put someone under the knife unless they have to.

Wow. Struck a nerve with some folks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

With any shoulder injury I’ve ever experienced as a player or coach, the medical advice is always try to rehab first and then surgery second. Even on torn rotator cuffs at times.

They aren’t going to put someone under the knife unless they have to.
Exactly shoulders are much more complicated than they seem, which is why medical advice is to try rehab before surgery.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom