Where are all of the "FIRE LUCIA" geniuses now???

lol set myself up on that one

Had it not been a one line post, I might have let it go, lol. Hey, at least we can agree that we both want what is best for Gopher hockey. And I'd even be fine with Lucia being gone after this season, but only if a sure thing, a home run guy is out there that we know we can get. None of you guys have yet mentioned anyone that fits that description.

And if we let Lucia go, I honestly could see some other school picking him up and winning with him, while we struggle with some hockey version of Tubby Smith.

Tough weekend to support the Donny.
He gets to go right back to State Penn next week so we'll see if he can get the kids to play better than this weekends debacle.

The ax is beginning to fall and the fat lady is on her way to the Don's house. Next couple weeks will be extremely critical to see if the fat lady gets laryngitis or something.

Kind of a sad near ending to a season. Back to Hockey Valley to try and keep their position Can you fall in the pairwise during conference playoffs?

You can fall but the Gophers are basically safe. Heading into the playoffs playing like crap is not a good thing, though. The three best MN college teams are all playing good hockey at the right time.

Ok, I'll bite, who, still coaching Div 1 college hockey not named York, has done better than Lucia over the last 7 years?

Who are these people that WE CAN HIRE, that "can do much better"???

I'm not saying there isn't anyone out there, I just haven't seen a single one mentioned that is a no brainer home run hire, NOT ONE SINGLE person. I don't think you even know what you are looking for. I mean PLEASE tell me you understand we don't need a better recruiter. Lucia's struggles after his back to back title runs was his ability to get TOO GOOD of players. He could have tried to continue to be the hockey version of Calipari's Kentucky, throwing together tons of new players into the roster every year, because of all the one and doners coming and going, hoping for the perfect combination to come around enough to make it worth it. I suppose it would have been more entertaining to watch all of those young phenoms come HERE to play their one season of college hockey before moving on to the NHL. I mean that works in college hockey, right? That worked great for the 2006-2011 teams, right? Has it worked for any single college hockey program yet?

My guess is a bunch of you lazy fans who criticize Lucia actually think his recruiting skills have gotten worse or his effort has been lacking? Or has he changed his recruiting focus and tried to get guys who would stick around for 3-4 years? Wasn't it his change of focus that got the guys here that got us to 2 Frozen Fours, and what honestly should have been 3 straight from 2012-2014?

What if he's gotten this incredibly complex issue of recruiting down now? What if he's finally figuring out how to toe the line, to avoid the one and doners while bringing in guys who will stick around and contribute for 3-4 years? But we want to bring in a fresh new face, who might get carried away and bring in a ton of the best players, all who will leave after 1-2 seasons, and it won't be until 3-4 years down the road before he figures out what Lucia already knows???

I mean, honestly, I hope I'm wrong, I hope there is a guy out there who can instantly turn the Gophers back into a regular at the Frozen Four, a guy who can make Woog & Hakstol AND LUCIA look bad, and who can even make York look bad, winning titles AND getting to lots of FFs all while sending tons of guys up to the NHL as well. I just don't see anyone mentioning anyone who fits this description?!

It must be difficult to deal with the normal world when one is as intelligent as you think you are!
You can play with the numbers to support your preconceived believes as much as you want, but that doesn’t make you correct in your arguments. You can insult us as much as you want, but maybe you should just try to listen for a moment. We have told you over and over again that teams that consistently lack effort, get out hustled, don’t do the small things, get caught watching the puck, etc... are signs of poor coaching. When this happens year after year, and when players don’t develop and typically have their best year as a freshman, that is a sign of poor coaching. All of the stats that you throw out are more of an indictment of the coaches inability to get the most out of their players.
And never, ever accept mediocracy by assuming that we can’t find anyone better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fire Lucia!

Fire Lucia!

This

If I remember correctly, there were many on Gopher Hole who welcomed Penn State to BIG hockey because it would take them years to be competitive and we would consistently kick their as*es. My how the mighty Gophers have fallen. Anybody who thinks keeping Lucia is the answer, is delusional.

This

If I remember correctly, there were many on Gopher Hole who welcomed Penn State to BIG hockey because it would take them years to be competitive and we would consistently kick their as*es. My how the mighty Gophers have fallen. Anybody who thinks keeping Lucia is the answer, is delusional.

This. Time for a change. Donny gave up caring years ago. Fan base interest is at an all time low.

The U is the 4th best team in the state of Minnesota before this weekend! It has been this way for years, it should never, ever happen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a surprise the genius disappeared.

Where is the GENIUS who started this THREAD?

If there isn’t a Frozen Four appearance this year and even getting in the tourney is a question how can Lucia be back next year?

This

Penn State has 8 foreigners on the team and probably going to have more in the future. As a result of this they improved in a hurry and don't think the Gopher Holers were thinking international recruiting.

Four straight losses to Penn State!? UGLY!

Nick Saban, Roy Williams would have been long gone at this point - and the breadth and depth of competition in their sport is 50x that of NCAA men's ice disk.

It's a good gig if you can get it.

The defense the past two games was really rough. The next coach hopefully has shown the ability to recruit and coach up good defensemen.

The defense the past two games was really rough. The next coach hopefully has shown the ability to recruit and coach up good defensemen.

Isn't Guentzel in charge of defense/defensemen or am I mistaken? If true, I really don't understand why his name continually comes up as a potential replacement.

Isn't Guentzel in charge of defense/defensemen or am I mistaken? If true, I really don't understand why his name continually comes up as a potential replacement.

Yep, it should not be Guentzel.
The team fought back last night and maybe with Robson in the net we win that game, but the Gophers should held them to less than five goals.

Time to blow this up. The U of Iowa boot hockey team would be more than we can handle. My how the mighty have fallen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We haven't been mighty for years, so really, we haven't fallen much.

If we fire Lucia, will we consider the new coach a failure if his first season is worse than Lucia's last? Our football team hasn't won nine games since firing Claeys, and our basketball team hasn't been to the round of 32 since firing Tubby, and it's getting pretty exhausting hearing excuses for why our shiny new coaches can't even match the seasons that were so bad as to merit firing their predecessors.

Isn't the important thing to get "the hottest young coach?" Then you have to give him a few years to lower the bar so his later results look better. Once his personal branding is plastered all over the whole University, THEN you can expect to win a few more games than the previous staff.

My problem with the hockey situation is that is the revenue sport we're supposed to be good at. After being disappointed by the football and basketball seasons, I want to watch the hockey team make a run deep into the tournament. I don't want to watch them lose the vast majority of games against every other Minnesota school, finish under .500 in the Big 10, and get blown out two games in a row in the Conference Tournament.

If we fire Lucia, will we consider the new coach a failure if his first season is worse than Lucia's last? Our football team hasn't won nine games since firing Claeys, and our basketball team hasn't been to the round of 32 since firing Tubby, and it's getting pretty exhausting hearing excuses for why our shiny new coaches can't even match the seasons that were so bad as to merit firing their predecessors.

Yup.

Isn't the important thing to get "the hottest young coach?" Then you have to give him a few years to lower the bar so his later results look better. Once his personal branding is plastered all over the whole University, THEN you can expect to win a few more games than the previous staff.

My problem with the hockey situation is that is the revenue sport we're supposed to be good at. After being disappointed by the football and basketball seasons, I want to watch the hockey team make a run deep into the tournament. I don't want to watch them lose the vast majority of games against every other Minnesota school, finish under .500 in the Big 10, and get blown out two games in a row in the Conference Tournament.

THIS! MN is the state of hockey. We produce talented high school hockey players, and have probably more NHL draft picks on our college team than most other teams. We should be the program others look up to (ala Duke, NC, Kansas in basketball). I don't expect our football and basketball programs to be on the same level as other national powers, but I do expect more from Gopher hockey.

I keep waiting for our esteemed "Senior Member" to tell us how great this Gopher team was after 4 straight losses to PSU! There must be some statistics on the internet that show how great this team really is???

FIRE LUCIA .... yesterday
FIRE LUCIA .... today
FIRE LUCIA ... tomorrow

Just to make sure he is really fired!

I keep waiting for our esteemed "Senior Member" to tell us how great this Gopher team was after 4 straight losses to PSU! There most be some statistics on the internet that show how great this team really is???

FIRE LUCIA .... yesterday
FIRE LUCIA .... today
FIRE LUCIA ... tomorrow

Just to make sure he is really fired!

Based on the stat that matters most, we are number 13 right now. If you fire Lucia for that, I assume you would be for firing next year's coach if he finishes worse.

So now I'm confused. I always would see Guentzel drawing up plays during time outs etc. Assuming it was so that we could attempt to score. Guess I'm missing something here.

Top Bottom