Where are all of the "FIRE LUCIA" geniuses now???

KillmeNow

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all of you Lucia haters, your worst nightmare is happening, Lucia's got this team winning and on a roll.

6-1 in his last 7 games, that includes two games vs #2 Notre Dame and 1 game vs #6 OSU. it also includes 4 road games. What in the heck will you do if we somehow win Saturday's game vs OSU?

Even a split, which is the WORST CASE SCENIO now keeps UMn in a very good position in the conf and in the PWR. How will you Lucia haters life with yourselves for the next couple of weeks???

LMMFAO!!! I hope you arseholes are suffering!!! Serves you right.

I was never a fire Lucia guy because I couldn't see how you fire someone that has won 4 or 5 straight conference titles. What else can you ask of your coach. But the folks that wanted a change wanted it because there isn't a lot of life in the team the last few years. No one goes to the games anymore. Which is a problem. We aren't a dominant team and we're not making frozen fours. Hopefully that changes this year with the games in our backyard. I have my tickets, so I'm hopeful.

A person can dislike Lucia and still hope the team does well. Watching last night's game was encouraging. They played with real fire, it seemed. Got good goaltending. They have all the pieces to be a dangerous team. Consistency is their problem. So, we'll see. I expect OSU to play better tonight.

Also, the "where the Lucia haters at?" is the most common thing said by his defenders after EVERY win. I see it all the time. If he can guide them to a championship, then and only then will the "haters" shut up. But I think they'd all be ok with a title.

Perhaps to clarify my position... I am 100% in favor of hiring a new coach, but I don't hate Lucia. I'm just very ready to move on. I guess one could equate it to my feelings of Jaque Lemaire. He was pretty good and all, but it was time for him to go.

By the way, before KmN puts me on blast, I know Lucia has won a great deal more than Lemaire.

Apparently today's game is sold out. Who knows if it'll actually be full, but it's something!

Perhaps to clarify my position... I am 100% in favor of hiring a new coach, but I don't hate Lucia. I'm just very ready to move on. I guess one could equate it to my feelings of Jaque Lemaire. He was pretty good and all, but it was time for him to go.

By the way, before KmN puts me on blast, I know Lucia has won a great deal more than Lemaire.

I won't "put you on blast", lol And its ok for people to disagree. And IF, there was a sure thing home run hire out there to take over, I wouldn't whine and cry about a change of coaches. And so that's the question I have for someone with an opinion similar to yours. Who would you suggest to take over? Give me your Top 3 candidates, I honestly am curious who you would like to see get the job, and could we get them, too?

I don't have 3. The only one I can think of is risky. That'd be Grant Potulny, as we've discussed before. I really wish I we're more plugged in, but I just don't know who else is out there that is available or would be willing to drop what it is that they're doing to come here.

Still here. Frozen four appearance saves his job. Let's wait and see but this isn't a top four team so it'll be an uphill battle. Otherwise, see ya thanks for everything!

Consistency is another topic I've mentioned quite a bit, and it appears that the Gophers are finding their game, despite the loss today. OSU's goalie was great, and so was Robson. He's been huge for us lately. Gotta keep it up. Might as well get in the playoff hockey frame of mind.

Apparently today's game is sold out. Who knows if it'll actually be full, but it's something!

Tons of no shows as always. I think they cut deals (probably big ones) to lots of youth organizations to get to sold out.

Still here. Frozen four appearance saves his job. Let's wait and see but this isn't a top four team so it'll be an uphill battle. Otherwise, see ya thanks for everything!

Top 4 team....maybe/probably not. But how do you rate Robson's game so far? If he keeps looking like he has lately, he could steal a few that we shouldn't win, in my view.

I have been a fire Lucia guy for several years. Just because I think we can do much better then we have over the last 5-6 years. I respect Lucia for what he has done, but it is time to move on, I don’t hate Lucia. Also, I am glad the Gophers have gone on a winning streak. And yes, I would also still call for his head even if they won another national title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are all of the "FIRE LUCIA" geniuses now???

Tons of no shows as always. I think they cut deals (probably big ones) to lots of youth organizations to get to sold out.

I was looking on stubhub for tickets and there was hardly anything there. Not sure who is buying tickets and then not using them?
I don’t dislike Lucia either but it has felt like the excitement around the program has been going down. He is not the most exciting personality, but I like that the program seems to represent the University well.
Maybe with Robson in net and the young phenom plus Gates Jr and Sheehy this team can make a deep run? Hope so!

I have been a fire Lucia guy for several years. Just because I think we can do much better then we have over the last 5-6 years. I respect Lucia for what he has done, but it is time to move on, I don’t hate Lucia. Also, I am glad the Gophers have gone on a winning streak. And yes, I would also still call for his head even if they won another national title.

Its time...

No we don't. Defense is the weak point of this team. I say to win a title you need two greats and a good. Goaltending looks like a great at the moment. Defense has been okay, and could be good. Forwards should be great but have only been average to good. If the forwards start to play great, Gophers could contend.

Lucia has become lazy and complacent. He get's elite players year after year yet his teams are average at best. He should be getting more from what talents he has.

Not a Top 4 team?

In what way?

Name me the 4 teams playing better hockey right now against Top 20 competition?
Name me the 4 teams with more wins vs Top 8 ranked teams this season?
Name me the 4 teams with more wins vs Top 20 ranked teams this season? Heck, if I manipulated that stat and said Top 25 it would add 2-3 more wins for UMn.
Name me the 4 teams that have PROVEN that they are better than us this season?

Name me the 4 coaches with more NCAA Frozen Fours over the last 7 years than Lucia. And they have to still be coaching Div 1 men's college hockey.

Oh? We are only 8th in the PWR? Well, just 3 weeks ago we were what? 13th? Has any other team climbed as many spots as UMn has?
RPI, KRACH & MasseyRatings all have UMn at #7. And same as with the PWR, we started way back, and have been working our way towards the Top 4. Now you may try to claim some kind of technicality, pointing out to how they currently are not ranked Top 4, but we all know that doesn't mean diddly squat come NCAA tourney time. We've played by far the toughest schedule, not just in quality of opponents but in shear QUANTITY.

Consistency is another topic I've mentioned quite a bit, and it appears that the Gophers are finding their game, despite the loss today. OSU's goalie was great, and so was Robson. He's been huge for us lately. Gotta keep it up. Might as well get in the playoff hockey frame of mind.

May have felt like a loss, but it wasn't. As far as the PWR is concerned, and all other ranking/rating services, it was a tie. The shoot out only mattered in the B1G Conf Standings.

Ok, I'll bite, who, still coaching Div 1 college hockey not named York, has done better than Lucia over the last 7 years?

Who are these people that WE CAN HIRE, that "can do much better"???

I'm not saying there isn't anyone out there, I just haven't seen a single one mentioned that is a no brainer home run hire, NOT ONE SINGLE person. I don't think you even know what you are looking for. I mean PLEASE tell me you understand we don't need a better recruiter. Lucia's struggles after his back to back title runs was his ability to get TOO GOOD of players. He could have tried to continue to be the hockey version of Calipari's Kentucky, throwing together tons of new players into the roster every year, because of all the one and doners coming and going, hoping for the perfect combination to come around enough to make it worth it. I suppose it would have been more entertaining to watch all of those young phenoms come HERE to play their one season of college hockey before moving on to the NHL. I mean that works in college hockey, right? That worked great for the 2006-2011 teams, right? Has it worked for any single college hockey program yet?

My guess is a bunch of you lazy fans who criticize Lucia actually think his recruiting skills have gotten worse or his effort has been lacking? Or has he changed his recruiting focus and tried to get guys who would stick around for 3-4 years? Wasn't it his change of focus that got the guys here that got us to 2 Frozen Fours, and what honestly should have been 3 straight from 2012-2014?

What if he's gotten this incredibly complex issue of recruiting down now? What if he's finally figuring out how to toe the line, to avoid the one and doners while bringing in guys who will stick around and contribute for 3-4 years? But we want to bring in a fresh new face, who might get carried away and bring in a ton of the best players, all who will leave after 1-2 seasons, and it won't be until 3-4 years down the road before he figures out what Lucia already knows???

I mean, honestly, I hope I'm wrong, I hope there is a guy out there who can instantly turn the Gophers back into a regular at the Frozen Four, a guy who can make Woog & Hakstol AND LUCIA look bad, and who can even make York look bad, winning titles AND getting to lots of FFs all while sending tons of guys up to the NHL as well. I just don't see anyone mentioning anyone who fits this description?!

Hey all of you Lucia haters, your worst nightmare is happening, Lucia's got this team winning and on a roll.

6-1 in his last 7 games, that includes two games vs #2 Notre Dame and 1 game vs #6 OSU. it also includes 4 road games. What in the heck will you do if we somehow win Saturday's game vs OSU?

Even a split, which is the WORST CASE SCENIO now keeps UMn in a very good position in the conf and in the PWR. How will you Lucia haters life with yourselves for the next couple of weeks???

LMMFAO!!! I hope you arseholes are suffering!!! Serves you right.

"LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!"
The Gophers recent successes are primarily due to Robson's play in goal. The Lucia era is over. Time for Don to be gone and a new era to begin.
Rest assured I will be able to "life" with myself in the next couple weeks. What ever that means?

"LISTEN UP FRANCIS!"
The Gophers recent successes are primarily due to Robson's play in goal. The Lucia era is over. Time for Don to be gone and a new era to begin.
Rest assured I will be able to "life" with myself in the next couple weeks. What ever that means?

Oh, Lucia didn't recruit Robson? He didn't make the decision to put him in goal?

LISTEN UP IGNORAMOUS! There is no other Blue Blood program out there dominating the sport. There were TWO coaches outperforming Lucia the last 7 years, Hakstol and York.

Hakstol went off to the NHL, and York's BC team is getting ready to miss it's 2nd straight NCAA tourney. He's getting really old. Lucia's not.

"LISTEN UP FRANCIS!"

Do I have to remind you who got bulldozed at OSU in the 2nd game of that road series? Schierhorn kept game one close, Robson got pummeled. Robson also gave Michigan their first win in the home series vs them. Schierhorn had to come in and relieve him after he let 3 of the first 6 shots on goal into the net. Schierhorn was also the goalie that got us a ROAD WIN vs UND and a home sweep vs #7 ranked Clarkson. Try not to forget such things.

So you can TRY all you want to give all of the credit for our recent winning ways to Robson, but he helped put us in the hole we had to climb out of and Schierhorn helped keep our heads above water.

They've BOTH had good games and bad games. Maybe Lucia should be given more credit for being able to manage such Jekyll & Hyde Goalies, to the point of having us ranked among the Top 8 teams in the nation despite our having to play so many more Top 20 ranked teams than anyone else out there???

Do I have to remind you who got bulldozed at OSU in the 2nd game of that road series? Schierhorn kept game one close, Robson got pummeled. Robson also gave Michigan their first win in the home series vs them. Schierhorn had to come in and relieve him after he let 3 of the first 6 shots on goal into the net. Schierhorn was also the goalie that got us a ROAD WIN vs UND and a home sweep vs #7 ranked Clarkson. Try not to forget such things.

So you can TRY all you want to give all of the credit for our recent winning ways to Robson, but he helped put us in the hole we had to climb out of and Schierhorn helped keep our heads above water.

They've BOTH had good games and bad games. Maybe Lucia should be given more credit for being able to manage such Jekyll & Hyde Goalies, to the point of having us ranked among the Top 8 teams in the nation despite our having to play so many more Top 20 ranked teams than anyone else out there???

GET A LIFE !

Not all of us our geniuses, but at least we're all right in the opinion.

Not all of us our geniuses, but at least we're all right in the opinion.

"Not all of us our(sic) geniuses..." obviously not. Not all of us ARE geniuses and that includes me, but unlike a lot of you, I do not come to my conclusions lazily. Is Lucia the greatest coach ever? No, he is not. But the issues going on in Div 1 Men's college hockey are not limited to Minnesota, and just bringing someone new in is not going to fix the problems. For all of Lucia's faults, he is an established and successful coach, his replacement could EASILY do worse, so replacing him should not be done until a sure thing/home run hire is available. And Lucia may have another 2-3 year run left in him like the run of 12-14? If he does and that run starts this year or would otherwise start next year, I'd hate to fire him now and have to depend on a total unknown entity to coach the team.

Non-Blue Blood programs are out there taking advantage of the NHL's poaching the best players from all of the Blue Blood programs every year. They take turns basically. It was Bemidji & Vermont one year, then Miami & RIT the next, then UMD, then Ferris St & Union, then Yale and Quinipiac, then Union again, then Providence and Omaha, then Quinipiac again, then UMD & Harvard.

And no, you are not all right in the opinion. And I figured it would take a loss before you've be willing to respond.

It was an ugly loss, that can't be denied. I'm hoping it has a sort of reverse psychology effect. Sweeping PSU wouldn't have actually gained us much, as OSU beat Wisconsin, so finishing 2nd in the conference isn't even possible now anyways. Now I was forced to look back at PSU's troubles lately, and it could be just their playing either on the road or vs Notre Dame meant that they were going to lose more than they won?

They are in position to gain home ice if they sweep us and they gain that PWC as well, and we needed just 1 pt to gain home ice, so apparently their desperation was stronger than ours, and it being in their Arena didn't hurt, either. Honestly, if we had won tonight, we most likely would have played with very little fire in the 2nd game. Losing tonight may put more fire into the players bellies, give them a sense of urgency that apparently they did not feel coming into tonight's game?

This loss proves nothing except that we are beatable, but we all knew that already. Losing horribly like this tomorrow night might start to say something significant though?

Top Bottom