Where are all of the "FIRE LUCIA" geniuses now???

So now I'm confused. I always would see Guentzel drawing up plays during time outs etc. Assuming it was so that we could attempt to score. Guess I'm missing something here.

Everything I've ever read or heard about Guentzel's responsibility as an assistant coach was concerning defense, even going back to his first stint here. I'm sure he knows how to attack a defense, so it's possible he does draw up offensive plays. One can, however, also draw a defensive scheme on a grease board. Assuming things is silly.

If we fire Lucia, will we consider the new coach a failure if his first season is worse than Lucia's last? Our football team hasn't won nine games since firing Claeys, and our basketball team hasn't been to the round of 32 since firing Tubby, and it's getting pretty exhausting hearing excuses for why our shiny new coaches can't even match the seasons that were so bad as to merit firing their predecessors.

And we are getting exhausted hearing your constant complaining about the new coaches. The first few years of a new coach is not measured by the last year of the prior coach. Obviously, winning is the ultimate objective, but is not the only measure of progress. And coaches are fired for more reasons than just their last year record. Lucia’s teams are poorly coached and lazy, Tubby could not communicate with his players and had lost his drive, Claeys had lost the fan base/ boosters and was falling behind in recruiting. Of course we expected to have more wins with the new coaches, but it takes time to build their programs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey all of you Lucia haters, your worst nightmare is happening, Lucia's got this team winning and on a roll.

6-1 in his last 7 games, that includes two games vs #2 Notre Dame and 1 game vs #6 OSU. it also includes 4 road games. What in the heck will you do if we somehow win Saturday's game vs OSU?

Even a split, which is the WORST CASE SCENIO now keeps UMn in a very good position in the conf and in the PWR. How will you Lucia haters life with yourselves for the next couple of weeks???

LMMFAO!!! I hope you arseholes are suffering!!! Serves you right.

Hey LMMFAO - Lucia has one of the top four Division I hockey programs in the state - unfortunately it is number four. If that is good enough for you - great!

Hey LMMFAO - Lucia has one of the top four Division I hockey programs in the state - unfortunately it is number four. If that is good enough for you - great!

I always find the focus on other minnesota schools puzzling. We have the 13th best team in the country right now. I'm upset with that, but my level of frustration has nothing to do with whether the other minnesota schools are among the 12 teams above us. I'm also more upset about us being 5th in the big ten than I am about our comparison to three schools in other conferences .

I always find the focus on other minnesota schools puzzling. We have the 13th best team in the country right now. I'm upset with that, but my level of frustration has nothing to do with whether the other minnesota schools are among the 12 teams above us. I'm also more upset about us being 5th in the big ten than I am about our comparison to three schools in other conferences .

Because we usually get our pick of the best players in the state compared to the other schools. It is the frustration in having better players, worse teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because we usually get our pick of the best players in the state compared to the other schools. It is the frustration in having better players, worse teams.

We also have better players than Cornell who is sitting tied for number 2 in the pairwise. My point is, if we were number four, and all three schools above us were Minnesota schools, I would not be upset that we were the fourth best team in Minnesota.

As for your other post, about my first year comparisons, I can concede that my singular focus on the one metric of fired coach's last year versus new coach's performance is kind of myopic (though in Pitino's case, he has had five tries at matching Tubby's trip to the second round). That said, I think when we are considering firing a coach, or evaluating a past decision to do so, we too often disregard the rough seasons we have when we "rebuild" or "install a new system" or whatever you want to call it. If we fire a coach, and then have to endure some rough seasons early on, I consider it a failed firing/hiring if we don't get to a new level with the new coach. If the goal were to get back to the same level, we could have achieved that sticking with the old coach rather than tearing down and rebuilding. Thus, if Pitino doesn't do more than get us to a point where we go to the tourney in about half his seasons and never gets us out of the first weekend in the tournament, I'll consider that a failed move in the long run. Similarly, if Fleck doesn't get us to something better than winning 8 or 9 games in three out of four years, I'll consider that a failed move.

That brings me to Lucia. Don't let my opposition to firing him masquerade as satisfaction with our performance this year. I am just not convinced that firing him increases the chances we win a national championship next year, nor am I convinced that it does so over the next five years (and I don't even worry about time horizons longer than that, because my experience with our athletic department is that most revenue sports coaches in recent history don't make it much longer than 5 years). I agree with some of your specific criticisms/frustrations with his team this year (inconsistent effort, underachieving talent level). However, I remember hearing those same criticisms in the three straight seasons we missed the NCAAs from 2008-2011. Heck, I was vocalizing those criticisms and advocating for firing him at that point. But, he rewarded the U's patience with 2 Frozen Fours including one appearance in the national title game in the three years following that stretch. At this point, I like his chances of another resurgence as much (if not better) than I do of another coach making us a national title contender again. I can respect the position that he should be fired because I don't think we are where we should be, but I don't think it is the no-brainer decision that some on this board want to make people believe it is.

Pardon the novel that this post turned into, thanks for engaging on the topic.

No reason the University of Minnesota should be any better than 4th in the state in college hockey. After all, it’s a newer school with limited resources. Give it time, just look at all the regional finals he’s made in the last 12 years. No reasons the U of M should expect more over a 12 year period. Let’s see how that #13 ranking holds up over the next 2 weeks.

Oh ya, one more thing, where is killmenow now???

From never NOT winning the B1G to a losing record and a 5th place finish, topped by being swept out of the tournament.

Fire Lucia! For the love of God, please!

KillmeNow....really??? Are you avoiding the thread you started as soon as the Gophers play like garbage??

I gave you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you had other stuff going on but it's been a couple weeks now. Sack up! If the Gophers go on a NCAA tourney run I'm sure you'll be back spouting off again. Take the lumps. I'd love to be wrong about Lucia and have us go on a deep run but it's not exactly looking good. (and to answer your question/statement...I don't have a list of coaches. It's not my job to, it's the AD's. It's Minnesota, we should be able to get a quality coach - you don't make a move unless you have someone ready on your short list).

We also have better players than Cornell who is sitting tied for number 2 in the pairwise. My point is, if we were number four, and all three schools above us were Minnesota schools, I would not be upset that we were the fourth best team in Minnesota.

As for your other post, about my first year comparisons, I can concede that my singular focus on the one metric of fired coach's last year versus new coach's performance is kind of myopic (though in Pitino's case, he has had five tries at matching Tubby's trip to the second round). That said, I think when we are considering firing a coach, or evaluating a past decision to do so, we too often disregard the rough seasons we have when we "rebuild" or "install a new system" or whatever you want to call it. If we fire a coach, and then have to endure some rough seasons early on, I consider it a failed firing/hiring if we don't get to a new level with the new coach. If the goal were to get back to the same level, we could have achieved that sticking with the old coach rather than tearing down and rebuilding. Thus, if Pitino doesn't do more than get us to a point where we go to the tourney in about half his seasons and never gets us out of the first weekend in the tournament, I'll consider that a failed move in the long run. Similarly, if Fleck doesn't get us to something better than winning 8 or 9 games in three out of four years, I'll consider that a failed move.

That brings me to Lucia. Don't let my opposition to firing him masquerade as satisfaction with our performance this year. I am just not convinced that firing him increases the chances we win a national championship next year, nor am I convinced that it does so over the next five years (and I don't even worry about time horizons longer than that, because my experience with our athletic department is that most revenue sports coaches in recent history don't make it much longer than 5 years). I agree with some of your specific criticisms/frustrations with his team this year (inconsistent effort, underachieving talent level). However, I remember hearing those same criticisms in the three straight seasons we missed the NCAAs from 2008-2011. Heck, I was vocalizing those criticisms and advocating for firing him at that point. But, he rewarded the U's patience with 2 Frozen Fours including one appearance in the national title game in the three years following that stretch. At this point, I like his chances of another resurgence as much (if not better) than I do of another coach making us a national title contender again. I can respect the position that he should be fired because I don't think we are where we should be, but I don't think it is the no-brainer decision that some on this board want to make people believe it is.

Pardon the novel that this post turned into, thanks for engaging on the topic.

Well done post.
Yes, ultimately we expect the new coach to exceed the one they replaced. Coaching changes come with the hope for improvement. We already know what the old coach could achieve. For example, Mason brought us up to solid level, his offense could play with anyone, but he couldn’t recruit enough good players to build up the defense and the players never had the belief that they could beat the big guys.
I was so excited when they hired Lucia because his CC teams were so offensively explosive. We soon learned that Donny is only as good as his assistant coaches, because the coach he left at CC continued that great offense and it didn’t come with him to the U. Lucia’s biggest problem is that he settles for inferior assistant coaches. The good coaches get hired away and he doesn’t always replace them with another top coach. I know that Don was sick for a year or so, but it is his fault that he doesn’t reload with the best assistants in the country. He has been given enough time, we can’t let the “blue blood” stature of the U be lost. It is time for new energy at the U.

"I was so excited when they hired Lucia because his CC teams were so offensively explosive. We soon learned that Donny is only as good as his assistant coaches, because the coach he left at CC continued that great offense and it didn’t come with him to the U. Lucia’s biggest problem is that he settles for inferior assistant coaches. The good coaches get hired away and he doesn’t always replace them with another top coach. I know that Don was sick for a year or so, but it is his fault that he doesn’t reload with the best assistants in the country."

I agree with alchemy2u's comments above 100%. His first good assistant to leave him was Motzoko to head to St. Cloud that I'm aware of. He hasn't won a national championship since. Big 10 championships just don't cut it.

Lucia is the greatest!!!.....10 years ago [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Top Bottom