Gophers Outlast No. 6 Ohio State, 2-1, In Series Opener

Reaction score
Late in the season, every game has postseason implications. That was certainly true on Friday night when Minnesota welcomed No. 6 Ohio State to Mariucci. The Gophers got off to a great start, and goalie Mat Robson was stellar en route to a huge 2-1 victory over the Buckeyes.

Glover Gets His First

Senior defenseman Jack Glover has been playing well on the defensive end all year, but hasn’t found the back of the net. On Friday, Glover showed off his maturity, remaining patient before firing a puck past the OSU goalie. It ended up being the game-winner for the Gophers.

“Great play by our forwards down low, working their D which is what they’re so good at,” said Glover of the setup to his goal. “I tried to shoot it on net, and their guy got in front of it with a good block. Luckily it went right back to me. I knew he was kind of down a little bit...I tried to get a better angle and get it on net and kind of a lucky little deflection there.”

Robson Dominates

Since coming in halfway through the year, goalie Mat Robson has worked his way into the starting role in net. He came into the game with a .940 save percentage, and only allowed one goal on 22 shots on Friday. He made a pair of saves that are two of the best you’ll see in college hockey. Here’s a video of the saves. Pretty impressive. His play has been a reason for Minnesota’s recent hot streak.

“Some of the saves he made tonight were incredible,” said Glover. “Ever since he’s come in halfway through, we’ve had a lot of confidence in him. That helps the whole team play better knowing you’ve got a guy capable of making saves like that.”

Robson was stellar, but in the final minute of the game, he needed help to preserve the lead. A puck found its way to the post, and skirted the goal line before Jack Sadek shoveled it out of the crease and the zone.

“It was crazy,” said Sadek. “It kind of bounced off three or four guys and ended up behind Robson and I was lucky enough to be there and clear it.”

Playoff Hockey

All three Gophers who met with the media after the game echoed how late-season games like this one are essentially playoff hockey. The desperation to make the postseason showed as Minnesota grinded out an important victory.

“Those are the fun ones,” said Brent Gates Jr. “Everyone’s into it, everyone’s up on the bench. There’s a lot on the line and we know that. 2-1 game; it’s playoff hockey. That’s how it’s going to be come tournament time. It’s good to get a couple of those wins under our belt."

Minnesota entered the weekend ninth in the pairwise, and a win over sixth-ranked OSU will help the Gophers' NCAA Tournament chances.

By The Numbers

0 Power plays for the Gophers. The reffing was questionable at best; it looked like some missed calls on OSU, and some very iffy ones on the Maroon and Gold.

Shots on net in the first period for the Gophers. Minnesota got off to an impressive start and dominated the first 20 minutes.

6 Wins in their last seven games for the Gophers who seem to be peaking at the right time.

Three Stars

Robson earned the third star with 21 saves on 22 shots.

2 Brent Gates opened up the scoring by burying a rebound in the first period.

1 Jack Glover scored the game-winner and played well on the defensive end.

What’s Next

Minnesota will look for an important sweep of the Buckeyes tomorrow. It’s an early 4pm start, and you can see it on ESPNU. Let’s hope we can break out the brooms for a second straight weekend!

Did Leon Bristedt play last night? I didn't notice him and that's strange. I usually spot him screaming up and down the ice right away.

That cross-checking penalty that led to OSU's only goal may have been the worst call in the history of all calls. I know reffing is a tough job, but I don't know how the ref could have possibly thought that was a penalty.

That cross-checking penalty that led to OSU's only goal may have been the worst call in the history of all calls. I know reffing is a tough job, but I don't know how the ref could have possibly thought that was a penalty.

I thought crowd responded appropriately to the call. Lucia had a hot exchange with the refs after the period ended although he was pointing up ice and probably complaining about something else.

There was funny (to me) moment late in the game folloing Sadek sweeping the puck down ice after it hit the pipe. Lucia gave Ramsey some specific instructions. Then when the Gophers returned to the ice, Ramsey called time out and Lucia looked bewildered and agitated. He had a less pleasant looking conversation with Ramsey when he returned to the bench. On the drive home, I heard Lucia say the issue was he told Ramsey to take the timeout AFTER the teams lined up.

Going completely from memory since I haven't watched a replay (and likely won't) I seem to recall the referee that made the call didn't see the OSU player begin to fall before contact was made with the Gopher player. By the time he turned to see what was happening, the Gopher player had his stick near the OSU guy's neck. It was very unfortunate for the Gophers, but I can completely see how that call was made.

Going completely from memory since I haven't watched a replay (and likely won't) I seem to recall the referee that made the call didn't see the OSU player begin to fall before contact was made with the Gopher player. By the time he turned to see what was happening, the Gopher player had his stick near the OSU guy's neck. It was very unfortunate for the Gophers, but I can completely see how that call was made.

Yep, I think that's the case. It happened right below where we sit. You could see the player fall and then Glover fall into him. And I believe the call was made from the opposite side of the rink.

Boy, if the ref's thought process was "I didn't see a cross check, but I did see someone on their back and someone else close by," then that is a pretty absurd approach to officiating. To call a cross check, at a bare minimum, the official should see stick come into contact with body.

Boy, if the ref's thought process was "I didn't see a cross check, but I did see someone on their back and someone else close by," then that is a pretty absurd approach to officiating. To call a cross check, at a bare minimum, the official should see stick come into contact with body.

I get it, but they're human. I just tend to think that if I were him, I'd probably blow the whistle too.

Top Bottom