B1G Game 14: Gophers Host Maryland (2-18-18)

Wow, that was fun. Another great team win with balanced contributions. I love the fact that all four of our starting guards can get to the hoop. That, to go along with the outside shooting, really makes this team difficult to defend. And, yes, Edwards had a great game also. Was so glad that Pitts returned to the court. A season-ending injury could have placed a damper on a great victory. Maybe it's me, but it seems like this team is really starting to gel. They're playing well together. Lots of assists, good rebounding for a 4-guard team, and much better defense. They seem to be having a lot of fun out there. And kudos to Wagner, Pitts, and Hubbard, who earlier in the year all had games where they just settled for threes and are now driving the lane consistently. Hubbard sometimes gets overshadowed by her fellow guards, but she's been really solid down the stretch. Bello looked like she was going to have a great game today, but then came the early foul trouble. Now a red hot Indiana team comes in and that should be another great matchup. If the Gophers win the next two games, they'll be dancing in March. Let's hope the Gophers don't have a letdown against the Hoosiers. And yes, it was interesting to hear Frese imploring her team to run the Gophers out of the gym in her pre-game speech. In fact, the Gophers ran the Terps out of the gym.

If I was an opposing coach, about the last thing I'd want to do is get into a running game with the Gophers. They love that style and really excel at it, as they have shown all season long. Teams with multiple guards that can run and score usually aren't the best ones to try and run off the floor.

gophbox021818.jpg

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/md.html

What Gopher team did Brenda think she was playing? I can understand not being ready for Jessie; but the Gopher guards dominated. Minnesota was 13-19 from three before finishing 14-24. It was a frustrating day for Maryland. In the first half, Frese subbed out Confroy and held an extended reading of the riot act on the sidelines. It didn't help.

Winning big games is fun.

My once a season rant. PLAY THE ROUSER!!! In particular play it after Wagner hits a three (back to back with a Pitts three) with 3:37 remaining in the third making the score 72-48. Maryland's stunned, Brenda calls timeout, the crowd is in an uproard and we get, "it's time for THE bleepiing Gopher Sports Calander:. Just PLAY THE ROUSER!!!

By the way, it was good to see Ellis Milan on the court acknowleding Black History Month.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded):

40 Hubbard
38 Wagner
36 Pitts
35 Bell

28 Edwards
6 Fernstrom
5 Taiye Bello
5 Brunson
2 Garrido Perez
2 Lamke
2 Kehinde Bello
1 Kaposi

I agree, we can never get the Rouser enough at key points of the game. In game presentation still could use some work. And, I'd still like to have the band play "Hail, Minnesota" post game, too. But, it is a minor point for me today while celebrating a big win over Maryland. Most points Maryland has given up in Big Ten play. Welcome back to the Barn, Brenda.

And, we are going to miss Jessie Edwards and her ability to take a charge next year. Hopefully, she can still teach Taiye Bello the finer points of that skill.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is the shot at 3:37. Love the killer instinct.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211701251

Brenda Frese:

“It’s really, really tough to win on the road,” head coach Brenda Frese said. “I thought Minnesota was sensational tonight in every effort. We had a game plan to try and run them off the three point line, but they were able to get downhill on us, penetrate and kick. From our end, the foul trouble hurt us early with a lot of different things we had to plug. Just taking this, in the second half, I thought we responded better in terms of trying to close possessions and get better from it.”

And Pitts was headed downcourt as soon as she saw that Wagner was gong to shoot. She knew Carlie was going to make it. More random thoughts: I was surprised to see Frese "reading the riot act" to her senior guard Confroy, who really doesn't have the footspeed to keep up with any of the Gopher guards when they decide to go to the hoop. As good a 3-point shooter as Confroy is, she's a fairly one-dimensional player. She's not a great defender, not a great rebounder, and doesn't drive to the hoop much. And that brings to mind...kudos to Wagner for becoming a better defender throughout her Gopher career. When she first arrived here, she struggled to defend and was often lost on defense. We don't see that much any more. Also, she is good rebounding guard, which is necessary for a team that plays four guards. On another note, it won't surprise me if Maryland makes an early exit from the BIG or NCAA tournaments. I think they're vulnerable and certainly not as good as they've been in previous years. And, as for the Gophers in the BIG tourney, with the way they are playing now, it wouldn't surprise if they beat any of the other teams, maybe with the exception of OSU.

That was fun, I really think they could have won by 30, missed some layups with many shots in and out of the hoops. I had been down on Jesse Edwards but have been impressed by her play down the stretch especially today. She disrupted the lane with deflections rebounds etc. Loved that they have used this home stretch in establishing themselves as the aggressor from the start of the game. I know the OSU upset a couple of years ago was huge but for me this win rates higher because of Frese and Maryland’s conference domination.

Raoul is saying this win took the Gophers up to 33 in RPI, which is comfortably in the tournament. It'll drop (go up? How do you say that?) with the next two games, even if they're wins, but this sure helps a lot.

Update: During halftime of the Mississippi State/Texas A and M game, Creme listed Minnesota now as one of the last four in.

Well, if Creme has them just barely in, then I'm sure he's placing a lot of value on strength of schedule, which can certainly be criticized. But, I've also heard that selection committees will also place some value on how teams finish and the Gophers are finishing strong. Wins over Indiana, a team that has a 7-game winning streak, and Illinois will make this a no-brainer. But Gophers can't afford to stumble.

On another note, this would have been a great game to have Gopher recruits in attendance. Big win, great crowd, lots of fun.

Well, if Creme has them just barely in, then I'm sure he's placing a lot of value on strength of schedule, which can certainly be criticized. But, I've also heard that selection committees will also place some value on how teams finish and the Gophers are finishing strong. Wins over Indiana, a team that has a 7-game winning streak, and Illinois will make this a no-brainer. But Gophers can't afford to stumble.

On another note, this would have been a great game to have Gopher recruits in attendance. Big win, great crowd, lots of fun.

I’m hoping Paige Bueckers is taking notice.

I was sitting behind the backboard at the Gophers end of the court and saw Paige go down into the locker room after the game. Nice game for her to watch.

Here’s a different angle of Iggy’s fav three.

A78_B5_A5_D_FFAD_4_DED_9805_DFBF81_C85547.jpg

This team is fun to watch in the sense that we have three outstanding shooters and a quick on quick point guard to complement them. You could tell that Brenda had no answer defensively. You can’t just stop one or two. As the season has progressed they have gotten more confident with each passing game!! Like I said, they are fun to watch when hitting on all cylinders!!

This team is fun to watch in the sense that we have three outstanding shooters and a quick on quick point guard to complement them. You could tell that Brenda had no answer defensively. You can’t just stop one or two. As the season has progressed they have gotten more confident with each passing game!! Like I said, they are fun to watch when hitting on all cylinders!!
Gophers guards looked quick and confident today. I had a great time at the barn today. If you have chance to catch the game Tuesday against Indiana, make it out. I was impressed with Edwards today much improved post pkayer. Bell#23 she is a really good point guard, so glad she chose to come home and play for the Gophers. Very fun to watch her drive to the basket. What does Bell have to do to draw some fouls on some of those collisions. I mean I know she Got some free throw looks but I thought she was absolutely fouled on 4 to five mire of those drives and no calls.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Gophers guards looked quick and confident today. I had a great time at the barn today. If you have chance to catch the game Tuesday against Indiana, make it out. I was impressed with Edwards today much improved post player. Bell#23 she is a really good point guard, so glad she chose to come home and play for the Gophers. Very fun to watch her drive to the basket. What does Bell have to do to draw some fouls on some of those collisions. I mean I know she Got some free throw looks but I thought she was absolutely fouled on 4 to five mire of those drives and no calls.

I was sitting behind the backboard at the Gophers end of the court and saw Paige go down into the locker room after the game. Nice game for her to watch.

Very intriguing. Make her feel a part of the Gopher family.

Any chance Bueckers could be impressed with both the new Gopher practice facility and the team’s recent penchant for winning... enough to commit?

I dunno though... Geno has been recruiting her hard, and he usually gets what he wants.

Top Bottom