Suspended Gophers player Reggie Lynch drops his appeal

It is kind of scary for young men that their whole life and future can be ruined for the rest of their lives if they go on a date, and someone misconstrues the other's overture as sexual harassment or even rape. It takes two to Tango.

What if this is your son, and his date suddenly feels that an intimate moment constitutes rape when it is not the case?

If the process is biased against men, this is as close as one can get to Totalitarian justice in a Democratic State.

My parents where both victims of McCarthyism due to unsubstantiated and false accusations.

It is kind of scary for young men that their whole life and future can be ruined for the rest of their lives if they go on a date, and someone misconstrues the other's overture as sexual harassment or even rape. It takes two to Tango.

What if this is your son, and his date suddenly feels that an intimate moment constitutes rape when it is not the case?

If the process is biased against men, this is as close as one can get to Totalitarian justice in a Democratic State.

My parents where both victims of McCarthyism due to unsubstantiated and false accusations.

That is the largest fear. We raised our boys to use extreme care and discretion in dating. They ended up with great dating experiences and eventually wives. Not everybody gets the same guidance,the same breaks but one must ask why there is so much smoke around the accused. The climate now does have a bias against men. Lots of powerful men have been forced from their jobs without a trial and several have said they did not do what they were accused of but companies and schools have policies and they invoke the protocol. I certainly do not have the answers. What has happened to woman so often is wrong. What is happening now feels unfair. Perhaps Reggie is innocent. Perhaps he is not. Only educating people how to treat each other will improve how we do that.

That is the largest fear. We raised our boys to use extreme care and discretion in dating. They ended up with great dating experiences and eventually wives. Not everybody gets the same guidance,the same breaks but one must ask why there is so much smoke around the accused. The climate now does have a bias against men. Lots of powerful men have been forced from their jobs without a trial and several have said they did not do what they were accused of but companies and schools have policies and they invoke the protocol. I certainly do not have the answers. What has happened to woman so often is wrong. What is happening now feels unfair. Perhaps Reggie is innocent. Perhaps he is not. Only educating people how to treat each other will improve how we do that.

Very scary time to be a young man headed off to college as my son will do next fall. Will definitely urge him to be EXTREMELY cautious and hopefully he has a good head on his shoulders. Combination of women/alcohol need to be avoided; easier said than done for many college students.

I like it but in that case the responsibility would be on Reggie to be rehabilitated and then to seek forgiveness. Read about the process of Restorative Justice in law.
It's not rehabilitation. Restoration requires healing relationships. Both Reggie and her accuser would be better served by restoring health to themselves by seeking the betterment of the other person. The EOAA board could work as a restorative board rather than an expulsion board.

It's not rehabilitation. Restoration requires healing relationships. Both Reggie and her accuser would be better served by restoring health to themselves by seeking the betterment of the other person. The EOAA board could work as a restorative board rather than an expulsion board.

Read the description of Restorative Justice and how it gets used. There are thousands of cases of its benefits and requirements.

Read the description of Restorative Justice and how it gets used. There are thousands of cases of its benefits and requirements.
I've seen Restorative Justice used in Dakota County with Juvenile cases. There is much merit to the process.

Very scary time to be a young man headed off to college as my son will do next fall. Will definitely urge him to be EXTREMELY cautious and hopefully he has a good head on his shoulders. Combination of women/alcohol need to be avoided; easier said than done for many college students.

Fully agree. I did not and could not control what our kids would decide but we did point out the pitfalls of a woman using Alcohol or any drug and pointed out how sloppy that is. We did the same for our daughters , including how they present and conduct themselves. On top of that we got lucky. We simply gave them the idea of consequences for actions and let them go to learn and to live. In one moment you can trash your name and your position. I never forgot that lesson and oh yes i did make mistakes but i never misread a womans intentions . Alcohol plays a devastating role in perception especially in a society that celebrates its very use.

I've seen Restorative Justice used in Dakota County with Juvenile cases. There is much merit to the process.

I ve seen it with adults with great success, especially when the victim gets a admission from the perp. Even in murder cases some families forgive but in this case they established a violation of conduct on one side and victims on the other. These are not juveniles and this is not court. Businesses and schools, private clubs establish codes of conduct that have nothing to do with law.

I ve seen it with adults with great success, especially when the victim gets a admission from the perp. Even in murder cases some families forgive but in this case they established a violation of conduct on one side and victims on the other. These are not juveniles and this is not court. Businesses and schools, private clubs establish codes of conduct that have nothing to do with law.
I understand. I have also seen secondary schools use restorative justice so the reality is that UMN could develop a process in conjunction with Title IV. But...will they?
I would be surprised to see them do so because the EOAA is not about justice or restoration. It is about having a kangaroo court.

What makes you say Kangaroo ! It is not meant to be a court. Why do you think that it is run by biased fools. Others have attended their hearing and been cleared. You act like not a single person was treated fairly.

What makes you say Kangaroo ! It is not meant to be a court. Why do you think that it is run by biased fools. Others have attended their hearing and been cleared. You act like not a single person was treated fairly.
What I know is that we now have 11 black men who have been accused of sexual perversion by a woman or women. It doesn't take much historical research to see a 300 year trend continuing where the elite judge the minority and find them guilty.
Racism has not left UMN as far as I can see.

We gave both our son and daughter the talk before they went off to college. To study hard and pursue their dreams, have fun, be respectful, mindful, and have situational awareness not to put themselves or their friends in a bad situation.

Thank goodness they both made it through college. We can't control what our kids will do. We hoped and prayed that they do the right things in becoming mature young adults.

What I know is that we now have 11 black men who have been accused of sexual perversion by a woman or women. It doesn't take much historical research to see a 300 year trend continuing where the elite judge the minority and find them guilty.
From https://diversity.umn.edu/eoaa/home

"Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action

EOAA addresses reports of discrimination, harassment, nepotism, sexual misconduct (including sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence) and related retaliation through:

Investigation
Consultation
Education

As the Twin Cities campus Title IX office, EOAA responds to sexual misconduct concerns. University of Minnesota employees are required to report possible sexual misconduct that they learn about to their campus Title IX office. To learn more about this obligation or to make a report on the Twin Cities campus, please visit our Reporting page."

Then take a look at the FY2017 report that they published.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuJs1kyBxIT9GrXqGdKjBsMneK1FaSCU/view?usp=sharing

What do their self-repiryed numbers say?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

EOAA addresses reports of discrimination, harassment, nepotism, sexual misconduct (including sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence) and related retaliation through:

Investigation
Consultation
Education

As the Twin Cities campus Title IX office, EOAA responds to sexual misconduct concerns. University of Minnesota employees are required to report possible sexual misconduct that they learn about to their campus Title IX office. To learn more about this obligation or to make a report on the Twin Cities campus, please visit our Reporting page."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuJs1kyBxIT9GrXqGdKjBsMneK1FaSCU/view?usp=sharing

Racism [emoji56]

Get this sicko out of MN. Anybody who pretends Lynch is innocent either can't read or is a predator trying to feel better about their own past actions.

F racism but women's rights, not so much, hun? You are scum, trying to cover yourself by using a race card. You obviously couldn't care less and minority rights.

F racism but women's rights, not so much, hun? You are scum, trying to cover yourself by using a race card. You obviously couldn't care less and minority rights.
LOL, it doesn't have to be an either/or. If there was restorative justice there would have been an attempt to work through the allegations and consider restoration to all parties. Do you despise restoration?

Investigation
Consultation
Education

Interesting -thanks for posting.

By their own numbers the percent of accusations found to be not credible even by their incredibly low bar of guilt was 32% in 2015, 25% in 2016, and 35% in 2017.

Those numbers don’t include the reports where the accuser decided not to pursue the case further or cooperate. The reasons for that could be any number of things. There were 171 reported cases of sexual misconduct in 2017 and 48 were investigated and brought to conclusion. Of those 48, 17 were found to be more likely than not to be false or not meeting the definition of misconduct. I would guess this means there was evidence supporting the accused.

I don’t think these numbers include the cases that went on to the SSMS panel, a separate entity. It would be interesting to see the results of those hearings.

Get this sicko out of MN. Anybody who pretends Lynch is innocent either can't read or is a predator trying to feel better about their own past actions.

I don't know if he is guilty or not and neither do you, to pretend you do is ludicrous, the problem is the process does nothing to substantiate the position of the accused nor the victim, and that is the greatest wrong that can be propagated in a supposedly just and informed society, much greater than the fear of the guilty possibbly going free.

You must not see that racism is bring used as a tool to further women's rights.

I don't know if he is guilty or not and neither do you, to pretend you do is ludicrous, the problem is the process does nothing to substantiate the position of the accused nor the victim, and that is the greatest wrong that can be propagated in a supposedly just and informed society, much greater than the fear of the guilty possibbly going free.
^^^^This^^^^

^^^^This^^^^
If you choose to believe there is some kind of mass conspiracy of women who do not know each other, over multiple years, than sure, we can pretend there is some doubt here. Plus, hmm, drop the appeal, that screams innocent right?

He was a great player that's true. Hopefully other young men who find themselves in situations will start to learn from these examples.

If you choose to believe there is some kind of mass conspiracy of women who do not know each other, over multiple years, than sure, we can pretend there is some doubt here. Plus, hmm, drop the appeal, that screams innocent right?

He was a great player that's true. Hopefully other young men who find themselves in situations will start to learn from these examples.
Do you desire restorative justice or retributive justice? It seems like you desire the witch trial approach to justice.

If you had a basic understanding of the civil and administrative law systems in America you wouldn't have made this post. Education is a lifelong pursuit. Never quit trying to learn what you don't know.

If you had a basic understanding of the civil and administrative law systems in America you wouldn't have made this post. Education is a lifelong pursuit. Never quit trying to learn what you don't know.
Do you desire restorative justice or retributive justice? It seems like you desire the witch trial approach to justice.

Top Bottom