Suspended Gophers player Reggie Lynch drops his appeal

He bypassed his own hearing where he is actually allowed to present evidence as well as face witnesses. If i was accused falsely i would show hell or high water to protect my good name. Walk away without a fight !
He couldn't win. He could present all the evidence in the world from an event that allegedly happened 2 years ago, but the haters were gonna hate. His option was only to walk away and leave the racists and haters behind.

If this is the new standard for lives being ruined and punishment being doled out, we are all screwed. Just set Abby up in a nice wood lined suite with a gavel, robe, and bench then start bringing in the accused to be punished.

Salem witch trials all over again. Cruze actually posed something earlier that reminded me of the logic of the judgment standards of the witch trials.

I am not sure if Tim Tebow could overcome one of these panels if he were one of the accused. Justice starts and stops with real evidence and if no evidence is collected at all for years, then any panel attempting to mete out any sort of justice is a farce. If they findings of this kangaroo kourt (EOAA) had no real impact other than PR it would be a different story, but this EOAA has absolute and devastating power over others (and apparently young "African-American" males in particular)

Why not take it one step further, maybe the EOAA could carry out a prison sentence or execution? Why not, they are ruining young lives based on flawed and unjust processes. Was 1875-1963 "southern justice" much different than the tyranny of the EOAA other than the lynching or sentencing to death in a work camp? Yes I know this is massive hyperbole, but the impact of the EOAA on young, possibly innocent people is massive and not to be taken as lightly as some on this board do. The slope is very slippery and needs to be addressed.

The definition for "ruining a life" is different for us all, , but stealing a 20 year olds reputation, taking away his scholarship, and branding him for life is a pretty good start for a trip to the bottom. Sometimes the dividing line is pretty narrow when determining the path a persons live takes.

If this is the new standard for lives being ruined and punishment being doled out, we are all screwed. Just set Abby up in a nice wood lined suite with a gavel, robe, and bench then start bringing in the accused to be punished.

Salem witch trials all over again. Cruze actually posed something earlier that reminded me of the logic of the judgment standards of the witch trials.

I am not sure if Tim Tebow could overcome one of these panels if he were one of the accused. Justice starts and stops with real evidence and if no evidence is collected at all for years, then any panel attempting to mete out any sort of justice is a farce. If they findings of this kangaroo kourt (EOAA) had no real impact other than PR it would be a different story, but this EOAA has absolute and devastating power over others (and apparently young "African-American" males in particular)

Reggie was allowed to present evidence, contest evidence and face his accusers. He declined. What evidence do you have that there was a bias among those making the decision. I am African-American and do not gave any concern regarding fairness . The only concern i have is Reggie not even having the courage to stand up and face his accusers.

How many students, how many accusers. Pretty simple math. Damn rare. Never said this case was black and white but those that got the complaints and the info and found something was not right. There is no indication that these folks had a agenda to unfairly treat Reggie. In my company we had one complaint in 47 years and it turned out to be true. Everything is viewed by the bias of our own experience and mine says rare.

Your definition of rare is faulty. 1/10 or thereabouts is not rare. That’s common in every area of life, mathematics, statistics. Pacyga has laid out exactly how the process is slanted. The SSMS chair is a women’s advocate/domestic violence professor. The SSMS members are indoctrinated in faulty science prior to the hearing.

Here are just a small sampling of the numbers available:

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl...ns_why_must_be_pretend_they_never_happen.html

He bypassed his own hearing where he is actually allowed to present evidence as well as face witnesses. If i was accused falsely i would show hell or high water to protect my good name. Walk away without a fight !

Because it’s a probably a lost cause, he has to pay Pacyga, and he’s moving on. And yet you’ll claim women that don’t bring charges or otherwise confront their alleged attackers won’t do it for the same reason.

Nothing I’m saying here is meant to imply Lynch is innocent, but I don’t know what he’s guilty of. Could be nothing, could be an affirmative consent issue (not criminal), or could be rape in which case the victim really ought to have gone to the hospital and police with the photos of the alleged bloody room photos, etc. That would have been a good case to help put him away.

Reggie Lynch is a coward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know exactly why you think prejudice against the male sex is ok, I can only assume you’re an activist and seem to be chummy with Abby. It’s awful what happened to her, but she’s not exactly an impartial arbiter of justice or rationality.

There is no doubt in my mind he should be removed from the basketball team. Preponderance of evidence or even rumor makes me think he is a bad representative of the university.

I do think it is odd you can be expelled for non criminal sexual activity at a public university.
If it was me I would remove him from the team, tell him he can finish out the year and either graduate or transfer. No doubt in my mind he is a creep, I don’t think you should be expelled for being a creep.

I don't know if Reggie did what he was accused of, but I do know for a fact that he is not a good person that doesn't act in a respectable manner around women. I just want you all to know that is the kind of person you are defending, no matter if he is innocent of this accusation or not. What I know of him leads me to believe he is not, but there is no evidence to prove it so I'm not going to claim I know.

There is no doubt in my mind he should be removed from the basketball team. Preponderance of evidence or even rumor makes me think he is a bad representative of the university.

I do think it is odd you can be expelled for non criminal sexual activity at a public university.
If it was me I would remove him from the team, tell him he can finish out the year and either graduate or transfer. No doubt in my mind he is a creep, I don’t think you should be expelled for being a creep.

The pattern of multiple allegations raises a red flag. However, he could just be a creep who has no social graces when it comes to engaging socially with women. The truth may be somewhere in between.

I don't know if Reggie did what he was accused of, but I do know for a fact that he is not a good person that doesn't act in a respectable manner around women. I just want you all to know that is the kind of person you are defending, no matter if he is innocent of this accusation or not. What I know of him leads me to believe he is not, but there is no evidence to prove it so I'm not going to claim I know.

And what you should know is that good people do the hard thing and not the easy thing and defend the right of the accused to have a fair hearing. Striving for justice: good. Prejudice against blacks, Muslims, Hispanics, males, police officers, etc etc: bad. Don’t be the bad guy.

Some of you need to reassess.

Your definition of rare is faulty. 1/10 or thereabouts is not rare. That’s common in every area of life, mathematics, statistics. Pacyga has laid out exactly how the process is slanted. The SSMS chair is a women’s advocate/domestic violence professor. The SSMS members are indoctrinated in faulty science prior to the hearing.

Here are just a small sampling of the numbers available:

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl...ns_why_must_be_pretend_they_never_happen.html

2 out of 100 is rare. His lawyer laid out only part of the process and those involved, the part that puts his client in a better frame. That is his job. The members did not just form their own panel and their own rules. The administration backs the process.. It worked. Based on the evidence they saw they removed him not only from the team but from the school. I no clue what he did wrong but they deemed it was something.

And what you should know is that good people do the hard thing and not the easy thing and defend the right of the accused to have a fair hearing. Striving for justice: good. Prejudice against blacks, Muslims, Hispanics, males, police officers, etc etc: bad. Don’t be the bad guy.

Your not the judge of who is a good and bad person. Reggie decided he did not want to face a hearing where he was afforded the chance to tell his side but also be forced to face whatever evidence there was.

He was given the opportunity of a fair hearing and refused it, so?

Your not the judge of who is a good and bad person. Reggie decided he did not want to face a hearing where he was afforded the chance to tell his side but also be forced to face whatever evidence there was.

He should not have appealed in the first place given there was zero chance of reversal given hypersensitivity to the issue and the earlier accusation.

It is reasonable to believe that all three reported incidents were similar: questionable if not detestable interactions with women, probably with both parties under the influence of alcohol. Maybe all three situations were borderline but there was no way he was going to get a pass with woman #2 or woman #3 regardless of whether he was "innocent" or not. The liberal elements of the university and media would have have gone insane.

I for one think these things should be dealt with in the criminal courts and that universities need to stay out of the sexual misconduct business. That said, Reggie played with fire and probably had it coming. If the women were truly victimized in these situations then I hope that have some sense of vindication. If, however, they popped "5 or 6 shots" before heading out to party (see football debacle) andy predictably got themselves into a bad situation...I hope they learned a lesson.

As much as mens attitudes toward sexual harassment need to change, women need to take some ownership of this important issue as well.

Reggie Lynch is a coward.

You can feel that if you like but imo he has taken a good position here. He has already been convicted in the court of public opinion now and by doing this he has turned a large share of that public opinion against the EOAA without having to bear the burden of proof. He knew that it was highly likely that his campus ban and expulsion would stand based on the fact that it was recommended by the EOAA two years after something happened or didn't happen. What evidence could they possibly have had to base that on if the police had none? He knew it and a large part of the public knew it too. Not saying he is innocent but public opinion mattered and he just turned it back on the EOAA without having to prove a thing because a large portion of the public will agree with him and his lawyer.

Not saying who is guilty or who is not.

Just saying that two years after the fact, memories may not be 100% reliable. Not to mention that fact that two people can be in the same room, take part in the same activity, and remember it differently. Especially if alcohol is involved. Person A thinks both parties had a good time. Person B thinks they were taken advantage of.

Lynch could be a bad guy. He could be sexually aggressive with women. But I tend to think he does not see himself as a bad guy. Other people may see him that way. What is the truth? I don't know. and I'm not sure anyone, 2 years after the fact, can really determine the "truth" of the situation. Our memories are clouded by time, our emotions, what other people tell us or suggest to us.

Now, I have my doubts as to the impartiality of the EOAA process. I suspect there is an inherent bias in favor of a female accuser, especially given the whole "me too" movement.

But, I just think it's almost impossible for any group or organization to really know what the truth is. They are making a judgment, based on what evidence they have, but also based on their own experiences, biases, and feelings.

In the end, I think Lynch maybe was right in walking away. he should try to get on with his life, as best as he can.

Just saying that two years after the fact, memories may not be 100% reliable. Not to mention that fact that two people can be in the same room, take part in the same activity, and remember it differently. Especially if alcohol is involved. Person A thinks both parties had a good time. Person B thinks they were taken advantage of.

Lynch could be a bad guy. He could be sexually aggressive with women. But I tend to think he does not see himself as a bad guy. Other people may see him that way. What is the truth? I don't know. and I'm not sure anyone, 2 years after the fact, can really determine the "truth" of the situation. Our memories are clouded by time, our emotions, what other people tell us or suggest to us.

Now, I have my doubts as to the impartiality of the EOAA process. I suspect there is an inherent bias in favor of a female accuser, especially given the whole "me too" movement.

But, I just think it's almost impossible for any group or organization to really know what the truth is. They are making a judgment, based on what evidence they have, but also based on their own experiences, biases, and feelings.

In the end, I think Lynch maybe was right in walking away. he should try to get on with his life, as best as he can.

Thanks SON! Yet another even keeled and fair post. I agree that as hard for him (Lynch) as it may have been, he made a good decision. Even if he had "cleared his name", there would still be some who doubt him.

You can feel that if you like but imo he has taken a good position here. He has already been convicted in the court of public opinion now and by doing this he has turned a large share of that public opinion against the EOAA without having to bear the burden of proof. He knew that it was highly likely that his campus ban and expulsion would stand based on the fact that it was recommended by the EOAA two years after something happened or didn't happen. What evidence could they possibly have had to base that on if the police had none? He knew it and a large part of the public knew it too. Not saying he is innocent but public opinion mattered and he just turned it back on the EOAA without having to prove a thing because a large portion of the public will agree with him and his lawyer.

You say Lynch has been convicted by the court of public opinion and by skipping the appeal he has now turned public opinion in his favor?

That is highly unlikely.

I was on a rape case jury in Dakota County. The trial was in Hastings.

The County Attorney ( a woman) presented her case over 3 days. We found the young black man not guilty after deliberating 60 minutes.

Thank goodness the young man was able to be present at the hearing and defend himself. Not like the kangaroo process at the University.

You say Lynch has been convicted by the court of public opinion and by skipping the appeal he has now turned public opinion in his favor?

That is highly unlikely.

Nowhere did I say everyone was going to take his side now but you know as well as I that there were people on both sides and in the middle. What he had done by having the press conference is get a large group of people to stick to his side and/or take his side of things. That's important to him since he felt it wasn't likely to win against the EOAA. He literally had to prove nothing by doing this but for many it is enough.

The photos on of the accuser's room should still be on the girlfriend's phone or at least forensically recoverable. Medical records (if any) should be available.

Go to the police and at least attempt to put him away. Otherwise he cannot be said to have committed a crime. He was found responsible for a violation of a code of conduct by a biased and unfair school panel.

There is a responsibility to society to try to put offenders away rather than release them back into the wild. If you have proof use it.

2 out of 100 is rare. His lawyer laid out only part of the process and those involved, the part that puts his client in a better frame. That is his job. The members did not just form their own panel and their own rules. The administration backs the process.. It worked. Based on the evidence they saw they removed him not only from the team but from the school. I no clue what he did wrong but they deemed it was something.

And that's a false statistic and even if true (it isn't) that's still not "rare". I'm trying real hard to give you the benefit of the doubt here...of being uninformed.

Rumney's smart debunkings leave us with a group of American, British, Canadian, and New Zealand studies that converge around a rate of 8 percent to 10 percent for false reports of rape. Not all of these studies are flawless, but together they're better than the rest of the lot. They include a massive 1997 report on sexual assault by the U.S. Department of Justice, which includes data from 16,000 local, county, and state law enforcement agencies. The DoJ found that "in 1995, 87% of recorded forcible rapes were completed crimes and the remainder were classified as attempts. Law enforcement agencies indicated that about 8% of forcible rapes reported to them were determined to be unfounded and were excluded from the count of crimes."

More here:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...9/10/how_often_do_women_falsely_cry_rape.html

Actually, I can decide who is a good or bad person, just like you. Guess what you are?

Nowhere did I say everyone was going to take his side now but you know as well as I that there were people on both sides and in the middle. What he had done by having the press conference is get a large group of people to stick to his side and/or take his side of things. That's important to him since he felt it wasn't likely to win against the EOAA. He literally had to prove nothing by doing this but for many it is enough.

He had a chance to face his accusers and didn’t. People who were on his side were going to stay on his side regardless.

His not going forward with the appeal is not going to get a large share of the public opinion turned against the EOAA which is exactly what you suggested.

He had a chance to face his accusers and didn’t. People who were on his side were going to stay on his side regardless.

His not going forward with the appeal is not going to get a large share of the public opinion turned against the EOAA which is exactly what you suggested.

If you say so. This was probably his best play imo.

If you say so. This was probably his best play imo.

For sure his best play. Otherwise he would be facing the evidence and testimony against him and he clearly does not want that.

What is disappointing is that the University has no form of or procedure for Restorative Justice. Reggie was never tried for a crime, but he was accused. In that setting a University process of restoration for both parties could be offered so that both the accuser and accused could work toward understanding and healing. But, there seems to be no such procedure available in the Title IV process.

What is disappointing is that the University has no form of or procedure for Restorative Justice. Reggie was never tried for a crime, but he was accused. In that setting a University process of restoration for both parties could be offered so that both the accuser and accused could work toward understanding and healing. But, there seems to be no such procedure available in the Title IV process.

I like it but in that case the responsibility would be on Reggie to be rehabilitated and then to seek forgiveness. Read about the process of Restorative Justice in law.

Top Bottom