Suspended Gophers player Reggie Lynch drops his appeal

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Suspended Gophers center Reggie Lynch will not continue the appeal process for sexual misconduct findings, ending his time at the University. Lynch spoke at a press conference with his mother and attorney Ryan Pacyga on Thursday.

"I did not commit any of the acts I'm being accused of,” Lynch said. “I’ve become a victim of false allegations. The truth did not set me free. In today's climate, people will automatically assume you're guilty if accusations are made."

The University of Minnesota recommended Lynch’s expulsion on Jan. 10 after he was found “responsible" for sexual misconduct against a third woman. Lynch’s mother, Marlene, told the media they believed the appeal process would be unfair. The family made the announcement they wouldn’t continue the appeal, just two hours before Lynch’s expected hearing on campus.

“We do not believe the appeal process will be fair and unbiased, given political climate at the U,” Lynch’s mother said. “He is a happy and harmless young man who has been a valuable part of this community. Reggie wanted very much to be part of the U and to work his butt off and be successful.”

Lynch’s attorney, Ryan Pacyga was critical of the University’s process for handling sexual misconduct allegations. He indicated the EOAA took three months to investigate Lynch, but expected his legal team to review the same evidence in four days.

“There’s a reason why the courts don’t call an accuser a victim in a trial, they wait until the facts play out,” Pacyga said. “Who is the victim? Is it the person who is an accuser? Or is it accused? It’s a no-win situation,” Pacyga said. “We can do better and we need to do better.”

Lynch said he has intentions to explore playing in the NBA, but expressed his innocence despite ending the appeal process. He will now accept the decision to expel him from campus.

“My friends, family and anyone who knows me knows the truth; I have never and would never commit any of the acts I am being accused of,” Lynch said. “As the son of an amazing mother, I respect all women. I have become a victim of false allegations, and it deeply saddens me to what that can do to someone’s life.”

You can watch a video of the full press conference here: '
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FKARE11%2Fvideos%2F10160193291200457%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Why is Nadine so hostile toward Lynch? I have noticed it on twitter on several occasions, including today.

It seems like there's a lot of "through the grapevine" stories about Reggie, especially among women, and he's basically been tried and convicted by this hearsay. I am surprised that a Gopher reporter like Nadine seems to have bought into that.

Why is Nadine so hostile toward Lynch? I have noticed it on twitter on several occasions, including today.

It seems like there's a lot of "through the grapevine" stories about Reggie, especially among women, and he's basically been tried and convicted by this hearsay. I am surprised that a Gopher reporter like Nadine seems to have bought into that.

It's okay to be hostile towards someone that more likely than not did some very heinous things. You don't have to wait for a judge to make a verdict to decide you don't like a person.

It's okay to be hostile towards someone that more likely than not did some very heinous things. You don't have to wait for a judge to make a verdict to decide you don't like a person.

Exactly. Reporters can be biased and hostile. See our mainstream media.

Exactly. Reporters can be biased and hostile. See our mainstream media.

I don't think Nadine would call herself a reporter or a journalist, that's not her job. When you run Gopherhole.com, it's kinda hard to claim to be unbiased.

Strong opinions and biases on internet message boards is the reason most people click on them every day. It is part of the deal. Furthermore, every journalist in America is biased in one way or another. In case who haven't noticed Bob Woodward is a right wing nut and Carl Bernstein is a left wing loon.

Hard to prove who is innocent and who is guilty these days. Turned into a mess.

Pretty much everyone in the world has an opinion about the guilt or innocence of people in the news. Why should Lynch be exempt from it. It wasn't the U that made this public. It was the alleged victim that reported it to the U and the news media. They large majority of people in the world only get their name in the paper when they are born and when they die. Reggie could have easily avoided this by treating women and everyone else he meets with respect and dignity. He obviously is not someone who routinely does this.

Perhaps she knows some of the women personally and it's not so 'through the grapevine"? Or knows more than we do in some other regard.

Accursed. That

Perhaps she knows some of the women personally and it's not so 'through the grapevine"? Or knows more than we do in some other regard.

One of the tenets of the American judicial system is the right to face your accurser. That right is paramount to our justice system. Apparently the U doesn't follow this standard as the accusers are no place to be found. they are pretty brave hiding behind the EOAA. Just think all this supposedly happened two years ago. His life is ruined, I hope they are satisfied.

Multiple allegations of sexual impropriety is disturbing, and maybe Nadine is privy to more information that we don't know about.

Social media is abuzz. Like they say, blow flies lead you to a dead body. Truth is the victim.

One of the tenets of the American judicial system is the right to face your accurser. That right is paramount to our justice system. Apparently the U doesn't follow this standard as the accusers are no place to be found. they are pretty brave hiding behind the EOAA. Just think all this supposedly happened two years ago. His life is ruined, I hope they are satisfied.

If Reggie had gone to the hearing the accuser would have been there and provided the hearing panel with all the information she had about what happened. The accuser has as much right as Reggie to have this case heard by the U's Campus Committee on Student Behavior. Since Reggie didn't want the hearing and appeal process to proceed we can only assume there must have been something to the accuser's claims.

This comes across as someone that wants to get out of the spotlight and get on with his life. Of course he’s going to claim his innocence as he walks away. If he really was innocent, I feel bad for him. His life will never be the same. If he’s not innocent, then he deserves far more than what he’s getting. But you and me will never know the whole truth.

Did I miss something? Wasn't this an appeal of a disciplinary suspension? I never heard anything about a trial or even criminal charges. Institutional procedures don't have the same standards of evidence and case disposition.

We don't know that his life necessarily is ruined. He's not being charged with a crime is he? He's not going to be put on a sexual offender list if he's not convicted of anything. We don't know all of the facts about why he dropped his appeal. Maybe their was an arrangement to allow him to finish his degree quietly. If he plays in Europe, this stuff won't be very well known over there.

Did I miss something? Wasn't this an appeal of a disciplinary suspension? I never heard anything about a trial or even criminal charges. Institutional procedures don't have the same standards of evidence and case disposition.

We don't know that his life necessarily is ruined. He's not being charged with a crime is he? He's not going to be put on a sexual offender list if he's not convicted of anything. We don't know all of the facts about why he dropped his appeal. Maybe their was an arrangement to allow him to finish his degree quietly. If he plays in Europe, this stuff won't be very well known over there.

Apparently you have never google searched anyone before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His attorney said he already has enough credits to graduate

Apparently you have never google searched anyone before.

Well, one could have googled up all kinds of damaging stuff on Donald Trump in 2016 but he was elected president. I'm sure there are plenty of professional athletes around the world who have been accused of serious misconduct (but not convicted) and still have professional careers.

Well, one could have googled up all kinds of damaging stuff on Donald Trump in 2016 but he was elected president. I'm sure there are plenty of professional athletes around the world who have been accused of serious misconduct (but not convicted) and still have professional careers.

Laughable comparison.

Pretty much everyone in the world has an opinion about the guilt or innocence of people in the news. Why should Lynch be exempt from it. It wasn't the U that made this public. It was the alleged victim that reported it to the U and the news media. They large majority of people in the world only get their name in the paper when they are born and when they die. Reggie could have easily avoided this by treating women and everyone else he meets with respect and dignity. He obviously is not someone who routinely does this.
Never underestimate the anger of a white woman scorned by a black man. Racism is alive and well in the good ole USA. s/

That's the best you can do? Not exactly the most eloquent or witty person on the planet.

Says the person with a bunch of letters as their username?

The point is, regardless of what might have happened in any appeal, public opinion has already ruled that he is a rapist. If he was any average student and this happened, it more than likely wouldn’t stop him from attaining job using his degree. You and I wouldn’t be discussing it. However, because he’s a basketball player its leaked to the media? Is that fair? To be honest, I’m not sure. But to say his life “may” not be ruined is a little naive.

I don't think Nadine would call herself a reporter or a journalist, that's not her job. When you run Gopherhole.com, it's kinda hard to claim to be unbiased.

If one is going to take advantage of opportunities such as exclusive media tours, media passes, and press conference attendance and questions, that person should probably at least make an attempt to appear to adhere to journalistic / reporting standards (as applicable).

This is a general point, I didn’t see Nadine’s tweets and have nothing against her, I’m just saying if you take the media access and privileges, you have a tougher time hiding behind “but I don’t really call myself a reporter”

Never underestimate the anger of a white woman scorned by a black man. Racism is alive and well in the good ole USA. s/

As a black man or what my parents called a human being, i resent your statement on every level. Your judging that they made up whatever happened. What do they gain. REGGIE IS NOT EVEN FIGHTING TO CLEAR HIS NAME. I would go to the end of the earth but of course i have never been accused of abuse.

If Reggie had gone to the hearing the accuser would have been there and provided the hearing panel with all the information she had about what happened. The accuser has as much right as Reggie to have this case heard by the U's Campus Committee on Student Behavior. Since Reggie didn't want the hearing and appeal process to proceed we can only assume there must have been something to the accuser's claims.

If there is only one reason that top recruits should think twice about coming to the U it is the political correctness and brainless logic that passes for justice at the U and apparently with a fair bit the general population here in Minnesota. For example, Cruze has no idea what really happened and neither do I. I think Lynch would have probably gotten a much more fair handling of the accusations if he would have just gone on Jerry Springer and let the applause decide his fate.

Probably - most people will never ever be put under pressure like this with their name, public reputation and future on the line for something they didnt do, or perhaps he did do... People in that situation will likely want more than the ladies in the Human Resources department voting on it and needing to spend $500 an hour to claw back any sort of proper handling of it.

If there is only one reason that top recruits should think twice about coming to the U it is the political correctness and brainless logic that passes for justice at the U and apparently with a fair bit the general population here in Minnesota.

If you think Minnesota is the only school like this, you're crazy. Almost every school has problems like this.

As a black man or what my parents called a human being, i resent your statement on every level. Your judging that they made up whatever happened. What do they gain. REGGIE IS NOT EVEN FIGHTING TO CLEAR HIS NAME. I would go to the end of the earth but of course i have never been accused of abuse.

Huh?

Top Bottom