Doogie on Pitino's future, roster fluidity, Murphy's legacy and more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doogie had some tid-bits on Gopher hoops in his latest Scoops podcat:

- He wonders if Fitzgerald will be back next year. It's possible there is more than one scholarship open for next year. He said the roster is "incredibly fluid."

- Doogie said he expects "1 if not multiple guys to test the NBA draft waters" - that means you can go work out for a few teams, pay your own way, get some feedback, etc.

- "There is no sense Richard Pitino is in trouble, he should not be in trouble unless we find out he knew a bunch of stuff on Reggie's background. I don't see a scenario "where on the court he loses his job.)...pressure is on next year. Where would the money come for a buy out? They don't have it."

- Jordan Murphy does not graduate until December. He's not graduating this summer and looking to bail. Doogie says he thinks Jordan Murphy has a chance to down in the history books, he'll be right at the top in so many categories including points and rebounds.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

I am having a hard time picking anyone that would transfer from this team. Maybe Harris? NBA? Coffee and Murphy seem to be the only ones capable of NBA play and Neither is ready.

I am having a hard time picking anyone that would transfer from this team. Maybe Harris? NBA? Coffee and Murphy seem to be the only ones capable of NBA play and Neither is ready.

"Being ready" hasn't stopped previous early NBA entrants from making a stupid decision. I do get the feeling Murph is a pretty smart guy, and wouldn't make an unsound decision.

Doogie had some tid-bits on Gopher hoops in his latest Scoops podcast:

- "There is no sense Richard Pitino is in trouble, he should not be in trouble unless we find out he knew a bunch of stuff on Reggie's background. I don't see a scenario "where on the court he loses his job.)

Agree with Doogie 100% on this. The only way Pitino is getting fired is if he knew of Reggie's (alleged) transgressions/proclivities when he was recruiting him. Pitino flat out said there were no red flags when he was recruiting Reggie. If that proves not to be true, that's the scenario where he could be in trouble.

Assuming he is back next year, and if I am looking at the records and his stats correctly, it probable only takes a handful of games for all time Gopher rebounder. Should he get 33+ or more the rest of the conference games this year and assuming only one tourney game and he gets another 11+, he’s only 46 or less away.

I don't see any underclassman for this team "testing the waters." I haven't seen Murphy on any mock draft boards so he doesn't have a chance after this season. He might as well stay here, get his degree, earn the accolades, and try his luck in summer league after next season.

I do wonder if Fitzgerald may get the Otto deal: grad assistantship (I have no idea what he's like as a student). He could land a scholarship somewhere.

Agree, I think the most likely is Fitzgerald. If Pitino gets the sense he can get a great grad transfer(Travis) he may "encourage" Fitzgerald or Stockman to transfer. I really hope Harris stays, sounds like he is an incredibly hard worker and I could see him being a great 6 or 7 man off the bench over the next couple of years.

Would any team make a spot for Michael to land Matthew?

Agree, I think the most likely is Fitzgerald. If Pitino gets the sense he can get a great grad transfer(Travis) he may "encourage" Fitzgerald or Stockman to transfer. I really hope Harris stays, sounds like he is an incredibly hard worker and I could see him being a great 6 or 7 man off the bench over the next couple of years.

Would any team make a spot for Michael to land Matthew?

What?! Yeah, he brings him over to use a schollie, sitting out a year....then asks him to transfer? C'mon man.

I don't see any underclassman for this team "testing the waters." I haven't seen Murphy on any mock draft boards so he doesn't have a chance after this season. He might as well stay here, get his degree, earn the accolades, and try his luck in summer league after next season.

I do wonder if Fitzgerald may get the Otto deal: grad assistantship (I have no idea what he's like as a student). He could land a scholarship somewhere.

I think what Doogie means by "testing the waters" is simply entering the draft process with no intention of staying in until the end. They can go to some workouts and get feedback, and still return to school. With the relaxed rules implemented a few years ago it is a good idea for any player with legitimate hopes of playing pro basketball to "test the waters." I bet Coffey throws his name in the ring. He'll definitely come back next year as there is virtually no chance of getting a first round grade, but if he does that then teams can tell him what they want to see him work on to improve his draft stock in the future.

What?! Yeah, he brings him over to use a schollie, sitting out a year....then asks him to transfer? C'mon man.

Albeit it is verrry unlikely, but Pitino is not stupid. He is coaching for his job next year without question. I think there is about a 2% chance Reid Travis comes home, but if he wants to and Pitino needs a roster spot, Pitino would be stupid to not kick Fitz or Stockman to the curb. Once again, I agree it is unlikely but coach will do whatever he feels he needs to still be coaching here after next year even if that means pissing a player off.

I think what Doogie means by "testing the waters" is simply entering the draft process with no intention of staying in until the end. They can go to some workouts and get feedback, and still return to school. With the relaxed rules implemented a few years ago it is a good idea for any player with legitimate hopes of playing pro basketball to "test the waters." I bet Coffey throws his name in the ring. He'll definitely come back next year as there is virtually no chance of getting a first round grade, but if he does that then teams can tell him what they want to see him work on to improve his draft stock in the future.

Yes, under those circumstances, I suppose those things are possible (although I can't see it for Coffee given his injury; I could see that after his junior season). Murphy's circumstances are a bit different. He's not going to get drafted at this point but he might benefit from going to some camps.

I think there is about a 2% chance Reid Travis comes home, but if he wants to and Pitino needs a roster spot, Pitino would be stupid to not kick Fitz or Stockman to the curb.

So, you're going to speculate on a 2% chance? I don't see why Pitino would get rid of Stockman (Fitzgerald, yes, and he probably wouldn't need Reid Travis to do it). Stockman will at least be a credible backup center and those always come in handy.

So, you're going to speculate on a 2% chance? I don't see why Pitino would get rid of Stockman (Fitzgerald, yes, and he probably wouldn't need Reid Travis to do it). Stockman will at least be a credible backup center and those always come in handy.
Isn't this whole thread based on speculation? For what it's worth, I'd rather keep Fitzgerald in that scenario(getting Travis) because he can actually space the floor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Doogie had some tid-bits on Gopher hoops in his latest Scoops podcat:

- He wonders if Fitzgerald will be back next year. It's possible there is more than one scholarship open for next year. He said the roster is "incredibly fluid."

- Doogie said he expects "1 if not multiple guys to test the NBA draft waters" - that means you can go work out for a few teams, pay your own way, get some feedback, etc.

- "There is no sense Richard Pitino is in trouble, he should not be in trouble unless we find out he knew a bunch of stuff on Reggie's background. I don't see a scenario "where on the court he loses his job.)...pressure is on next year. Where would the money come for a buy out? They don't have it."

- Jordan Murphy does not graduate until December. He's not graduating this summer and looking to bail. Doogie says he thinks Jordan Murphy has a chance to down in the history books, he'll be right at the top in so many categories including points and rebounds.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

I'd be shocked if Pitino doesn't add another ball handler this spring, either late signee or a grad transfer. IF, always a big IF, we can add another solid ball handler or guard (which he has done a couple times in the spring) then we have a nice top 7 players in Dupree, Jordan, Amir, Daniel, Isaiah plus Eric and the new guard. If one of the other freshman or transfers can step up, that would give us 8 players. Either way, if healthy, next year should be a good turnaround from this year.

Albeit it is verrry unlikely, but Pitino is not stupid. He is coaching for his job next year without question. I think there is about a 2% chance Reid Travis comes home, but if he wants to and Pitino needs a roster spot, Pitino would be stupid to not kick Fitz or Stockman to the curb. Once again, I agree it is unlikely but coach will do whatever he feels he needs to still be coaching here after next year even if that means pissing a player off.

How many practices have you watched Stockman play? 4 star recruit and Pitino says he is doing well.

How many practices have you watched Stockman play? 4 star recruit and Pitino says he is doing well.

I hope he is a beast, I want as many good big men as possible...but was unimpressive at Louisville and Pitino said Fitzgerald was the best player on the team based off practice before this season so I don't really put any stock in that.

I hope he is a beast, I want as many good big men as possible...but was unimpressive at Louisville and Pitino said Fitzgerald was the best player on the team based off practice before this season so I don't really put any stock in that.

He said it about Fitzgerald two years ago before he tore his acl - this last year he was brought along slowly

I have mix opinions on comments like this. Stockman has gotten to know his teammates well and is practicing hard against them. Its a different story in my belief once you start playing against other teams. Not always convince the effort is there with some players as well as the thought process as to what you're to do being in the lime light. I've yet to see Stockman play nor do I know him so my comments may not be warranted.

I hope Fitz does leave and open up a scholarship. Need to get Curry and Thomas those minutes.

I hope Fitz does leave and open up a scholarship. Need to get Curry and Thomas those minutes.

Fitz would contribute much more than I would expect Jarvis to contribute. 5th (6th?) year senior vs a young freshman? Jarvis highlight reels are fun to watch, but it's very rare that a freshman power forward that is undersized can come in and contribute more than what Fitz is giving us.

Remember it shouldn't be a massive amount of minutes the 4 and 5 spots will rotate between Curry, Oturu, Stockman, Murphy. Gotta assume 30 mpg for Murphy and 20mpg for Curry coming off knee surgury. Having a vet IMO is a better play here.

Fitz would contribute much more than I would expect Jarvis to contribute. 5th (6th?) year senior vs a young freshman? Jarvis highlight reels are fun to watch, but it's very rare that a freshman power forward that is undersized can come in and contribute more than what Fitz is giving us.

Remember it shouldn't be a massive amount of minutes the 4 and 5 spots will rotate between Curry, Oturu, Stockman, Murphy. Gotta assume 30 mpg for Murphy and 20mpg for Curry coming off knee surgury. Having a vet IMO is a better play here.

Redshirts aren't common in basketball, but I wonder if we would consider redshirting Jarvis if Fitz stays. A young, raw player like him who has a really high ceiling could really benefit from having an extra year.

You mean someone like Jordan Murphy?

He was a 4-star on Rivals.
What were the scouts at Rivals thinking? Louisville appears to be the only school that recruited him. Rick Pitino found some hidden gem? "Wow! He's foreign and he's really, really tall! 4 stars! 4 stars!"

What were the scouts at Rivals thinking? Louisville appears to be the only school that recruited him. Rick Pitino found some hidden gem? "Wow! He's foreign and he's really, really tall! 4 stars! 4 stars!"

It's almost as if ratings aren't based on offers.

Sometimes they get them right, and sometimes they don't - just like the coaches doing the recruiting.

Top Bottom