CBS: Dozens of major programs could be subject to NCAA scrutiny in FBI probe

I'm calling Duke being dirty. Coach K probably has a bag man 5 assistant coaches away from him. Duke seemingly started getting one and dones out of nowhere after not being that type of program.

To get one and dones you have to compete with other schools that are going after them and other schools are for sure offering to pay these kids. Duke started paying kids to keep up.

I'm calling Duke being dirty. Coach K probably has a bag man 5 assistant coaches away from him. Duke seemingly started getting one and dones out of nowhere after not being that type of program.

To get one and dones you have to compete with other schools that are going after them and other schools are for sure offering to pay these kids. Duke started paying kids to keep up.

Plausible.

There are a multitude of reasons that I don't think Duke is involved, but the main one is that they weren't close on any of the kids where it has been revealed that money was offered/exchanged. Despite many being top 25 recruits, only one had an offer from Duke and they weren't in that player's top 5. I also know the Jones family (of Tyus and Tre fame), and I'm 100% positive that they would never be involved anything like that.

If you want to look at where the real dominoes are going to fall I'd look at the schools who were in heavy on those kids. (Also, I'd look closely at the Adidas schools.) I'm guessing coaches at Mississippi State, Kansas, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and possibly Maryland are feeling pretty nervous right now in addition to the schools already mentioned in the FBI case. And if Mississippi State is involved then you have to go back and look at Howland's time at UCLA (Adidas school at the time) under a microscope.

I honestly don't think a lot of the blue bloods that people want to see fall (Kentucky/Duke/UNC) are involved. Cal and K don't have to throw bags of money at kids with their track record of producing lottery NBA draft picks. They just have to let the kid play for them for a year and then let the NBA throw the bags of money at him. I'd normally include Kansas on that list, but I think it's interesting that the Jayhawks were among the final schools for many of them. Throw in the Billy Preston fiasco from earlier this year and the fact that they are an Adidas school -- I'm seeing some smoke.

The NCAA has two separate standards of justice for the haves and the have nots.

One for the North Carolinas of this world.

The other for the rest of college basketball.

Money talks.

However, with the Feds involve it will quickly become very interesting.

Kansas basketball has been punished. Oklahoma football has been punished. Ohio State football has been punished. Miami football has been punished. USC football has been punished. Penn State football has been punished. Michigan basketball has been punished.

I thought UNC hoops should have been punished, but ultimately the NCAA determined that there was an academic dept on campus that was basically a fraud for everyone, not just athletes. Having read about it, I can understand that position. But there have been lots of examples of the NCAA going after the big dogs.

If anybody has contacts at the FBI, I'll chip in 10 dollars if they sweep this under the rug like the hillary debacle.

For once I sort of agree with Fraternity2017.

It is interesting how the level of raw talent coming into Duke has increased so much in the last 7-10 years. Previously Duke brought in very good talent, and a few great players, but never classes on par with or better than Coach Cal's best classes.

Something has changed and I am not if sure Duke is not getting a bit dirty or not. On the other hand the Duke academic standards are still there to some extent. Unlike some Big Ten programs (Michigan, Illinois) over the years, they did not completely depart from their normal very demanding academic profile to get BB players in school.

I am on the fence about coach K. I used to hate coach K (and I liked his pal Bobby Knight), and disliked his teams. I started to notice that he trusted his players let them play a pretty exciting free flowing game, and with even better players, he looks even better as a coach. I am actually a Coach K fan now and will miss him when he is gone soon.

I think now he is recruiting top crust elite basketball players, that are very different from some of the elite players going other places .. Many of these top guys (Trent, Jones for example) come from upper middle class families or come from affluent areas (with good public schools and college prep), but also have NBA/ 1 and done talent, which is the big shift. In years past coach K tried to steer clear of that 1 and done stuff, which if you recall is why Kris Humphries ended up at Minnesota.

I suspect Duke might be slightly crooked (hiring family members in some capacity, ect), but not nearly as crooked as others, but less likeable due to their image. I guarantee the John Wooden UCLA program in its last 12 years was way more crooked than anyone today.

Those schools are named as victims in the federal report. They are not charged with anything.

I guess that is one way to look at it, Adidas made payments so players would attend Kansas and NC State, not sure I would call them victims, I'm sure they had no knowledge that the players were being steered their way.

Those schools are named as victims in the federal report. They are not charged with anything.

Yeah I saw that when I read the report and could only roll my eyes... I am so sure that Kansas is the "victim" in all of this mess. lol give me a break, no way that Kansas, Duke, UNC and Kentucky are clean in all of this.

Yeah I saw that when I read the report and could only roll my eyes... I am so sure that Kansas is the "victim" in all of this mess. lol give me a break, no way that Kansas, Duke, UNC and Kentucky are clean in all of this.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that most of the top schools do something wrong. It doesn't come as a surprise to anyone, but I do believe there is some truth behind schools not knowing these kids are being paid by big time companies. If a company like Adidas or Nike know they are going to be signing a kid a year from now when he leaves college. They are going to try and lure him to the spot where he is going to get the most exposure.

Letting companies like Adidas, Nike, and UA sponsor AAU teams, and basically use the people around that organization is what is wrong with college basketball recruiting. Letting kids uncles make side deals with agents and others is never a good thing.

The top kids are going to end up at one of the top schools anyway. So the only reason for Adidas, Nike or UnderArmor to steer them anywhere is to benefit the company. Either they have a contract with the school, so Adidas pushes players to schools with Adidas contracts, or teams are paying the companies to make sure the players end up at their school. In the second case the schools are part of the problem, not just innocent bystanders or victims.

The top kids are going to end up at one of the top schools anyway. So the only reason for Adidas, Nike or UnderArmor to steer them anywhere is to benefit the company. Either they have a contract with the school, so Adidas pushes players to schools with Adidas contracts, or teams are paying the companies to make sure the players end up at their school. In the second case the schools are part of the problem, not just innocent bystanders or victims.

The way the system currently works the only outcome is that most of the top kids are steered to a few schools and it really needs to be cleaned up. I want to say that AAU basketball is corrupt to the core but I know that there are those that selflessly give their time and energy to the programs with little or nothing in the way of rewards and compensation. The problem is that there are those that have taken over the process for their own benefit without regard to the kids and what it is all about. There needs to be some kind of oversite and control placed on these programs but because of their nature it will be very hard to do.

Maryland is an Under Armor school. So there is no involvement with the Adidas scandal there.

I'll give you two power 5 schools who are clean:

1. Penn State (now anyway)
2. Vanderbilt

Maryland is an Under Armor school. So there is no involvement with the Adidas scandal there.

I'll give you two power 5 schools who are clean:

1. Penn State (now anyway)
2. Vanderbilt

Well seeing that Vandy might land 3 of the top 15 kids in the nation is pretty remarkable. A school that hasn't been to good gets 3 top 15 kids :confused:

Well seeing that Vandy might land 3 of the top 15 kids in the nation is pretty remarkable. A school that hasn't been to good gets 3 top 15 kids :confused:
...they love country...

Top Bottom