CBS: Dozens of major programs could be subject to NCAA scrutiny in FBI probe

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

The two-year FBI probe into corruption in college basketball could result in more than just the charges already levied against the coaches and individuals implicated last fall.

According to a report from ESPN, the ongoing FBI investigation that continues to cast a cloud over the sport could result in potential NCAA penalties for as many as three dozen Division I programs, several of which reportedly could be upper-tier programs.

"It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top," a source reportedly told ESPN. "It's the teams that are already there."

Here's more details from the ESPN report.

Regardless what happens with the criminal cases, sources with knowledge of the FBI investigation told ESPN this week that the clandestine probe could result in potential NCAA violations for as many as three dozen Division I programs, based on information included in wiretap conversations from the defendants and financial records, emails and cell phone records seized from NBA agent Andy Miller. His office was raided on the same day the FBI arrested 10 men, including four assistant coaches, in late September.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...uld-be-subject-to-ncaa-scrutiny-in-fbi-probe/

Go Gophers!!

Let's do a straw poll: Who's squeaky clean?

Name 2 Power 6 schools you feel 100% confident will not be implicated in the FBI's investigation into college basketball. Ready, set, go. ...

I'll start us. ...

Villanova (Jay Wright)

Virginia (Tony Bennett)

Duke (Mike Krzyzewski)

Stanford (Jerod Haase)

I could think of a few more, but those are 2

Name 2 Power 6 schools you feel 100% confident will not be implicated in the FBI's investigation into college basketball. Ready, set, go. ...

I'll start us. ...

Villanova (Jay Wright)

Virginia (Tony Bennett)

I'd be surprised if Michigan is involved this time around. Both because of Coach B. and because they ought to have learned their lesson.

I'll start us. ...

Villanova (Jay Wright)

Virginia (Tony Bennett)

Minnesota and Northwestern

Take a look at our recruitment of Konate and Gaston. I’d say everything looks clean since then but I’m not giving 100% certainty.

Those two taking us down would be so fitting. The history of Gopher sports.

Take a look at our recruitment of Konate and Gaston. I’d say everything looks clean since then but I’m not giving 100% certainty.
If Pitino has been cheating, I'd say looking at his overall conference record he is pretty terrible at it.

I doubt anything substantial will come from all of this. Too much money involved. I don't care if it is the FBI.

You have found the two Sta-Puft Marshmallow Men who will be the instruments of our destruction!

What a crock. UNC dead to rights and? Nothing.

Go Tar Heels! Go Kentucky!

Silence from the gh bb elite on the powder blue.

I don’t think those 2 will, but Pitino’s willingness to play that game suggests he may have been willing to roll around in the mud more.

Not 100% on Nova but agree probably not likely.

I'll go with Wisconsin and Butler

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So what if the big dogs paid for player? What is the NCAA going to do? The 36 bigs will just leave the NCAA behind and openly pay players as employees of their University. Welcome to the new league.
The NCAA can't afford to lose the big dogs.

Yahoo: Sources: College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs, lottery picks

It has been five months since the FBI arrested 10 men in a sweeping federal probe into the underbelly of the basketball world. As the three ongoing criminal cases resulting from the investigation plod along, it’s increasingly unlikely there will be another wave of double-digit arrests.

More legal charges still could come, but what’s becoming increasingly clear as the discovery portion of the case comes to a close is that the breadth of potential NCAA rules violations uncovered is wide enough to fundamentally and indelibly alter the sport of college basketball.

The soundtrack to the three federal basketball corruption cases is essentially a ticking time bomb, which will inevitably explode. It will impact every major conference, Hall of Fame coaches, a score of current top players and some of the nation’s most distinguished and respected programs.

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

So how bad could be it? In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-co...hes-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

Go Gophers!!

From the Yahoo article: there's almost no telling how deep and broad this is, and the FBI isn't sure whether they'll even pursue this to its potential end, which would be poking around into other shoe companies. This might be so pervasive that it's considered the only way to operate and compete. Just speculating on that, but it's almost a logical conclusion.

In the other thread, it's discussed what would get Richard fired, and knowledge about Lynch's behavior is cited as the only thing. Well, it's not the only thing obviously; it's not out of the question he was involved in the Louisville situation, and it's not out of the question that he's doing funny stuff here. No evidence yet, but it's possible.

In the other thread, it's discussed what would get Richard fired, and knowledge about Lynch's behavior is cited as the only thing. Well, it's not the only thing obviously; it's not out of the question he was involved in the Louisville situation, and it's not out of the question that he's doing funny stuff here. No evidence yet, but it's possible.

If he's doing it here he's doing it rather ineptly.

Comes out to about $6,400 dollars per person on the trip. Assuming that covers flight, hotel, in-country travel, gym fees, and potentially some of that went to setting up the expedition games it may not be as fishy as it looks at face value.

This is not a travel agency for the average Joe, they who would most likely have an expertise in the sports landscape in organizing expedition games throughout the country.

Comes out to about $6,400 dollars per person on the trip. Assuming that covers flight, hotel, in-country travel, gym fees, and potentially some of that went to setting up the expedition games it may not be as fishy as it looks at face value.

This is not a travel agency for the average Joe, they who would most likely have an expertise in the sports landscape in organizing expedition games throughout the country.

Read the Sports Illustrated article that was linked. Every coach that used this travel agency magically got a recruit or three for their troubles. There were multiple schools that all got recruits through this guy.

I don’t think this act was illegal by the book, but if you’re willing to pay a markup to a “travel agency” for recruits, joining daddy’s other ventures is not a far off idea.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ruiting-canarias-academy-minnesota-seton-hall

So what if the big dogs paid for player? What is the NCAA going to do? The 36 bigs will just leave the NCAA behind and openly pay players as employees of their University. Welcome to the new league.
The NCAA can't afford to lose the big dogs.

Feel the same about the bolded. The NCAA will handle this in a similar way as they handled no punishment to UNC for the academic fraud.
When it comes out from the FBI, I have a feeling it is going to be many schools/coaches involved and the NCAA is going to hand out no punishment. They will say some BS about all the top schools were doing it therefore no competitive advantage was gained, thus they won't punish any of them for being involved other than to maybe put them on some type of probation where if they are caught in any scandal in the next 5 years, they would not be allowed to participate in the Muai Invitational or Preseason NIT for a 2 year period.

The NCAA has two separate standards of justice for the haves and the have nots.

One for the North Carolinas of this world.

The other for the rest of college basketball.

Money talks.

However, with the Feds involve it will quickly become very interesting.

The NCAA has two separate standards of justice for the haves and the have nots.

One for the North Carolinas of this world.

The other for the rest of college basketball.

Money talks.

However, with the Feds involve it will quickly become very interesting.

:clap:

DO NOT tell ess ess. After all, excuses are for losers.

Top Bottom