Frost Fever hits Phase 2 at Nebraska

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
ESPN:

In the past week alone, Frost Fever produced a sellout of the April 21 spring game -- 85,000 tickets claimed, most at $10 a pop in less than two days -- and much clamoring over the results of a recruiting class ranked 21st nationally.

Frost and his staff, transplanted in whole from UCF, pulled in 24 signees to build a class that sat outside the top 40 in the rankings two months ago. They landed eight prospects from Florida and won signing-day decisions for coveted targets from the Sunshine State, Georgia, Alabama, Texas and California.

“It’s one of the few times ever in college football where everything has been aligned,” Nebraska defensive coordinator Erik Chinander said. “Where the administration, the school, the students, the fans, the alumni, the state, they all wanted one guy to be the head coach. And he became the head coach.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/...ool-again-to-talk-about-nebraskas-glory-years

It is going to be fun to see the ongoing comparison between Frost and Fleck...the similarities and differences in their approaches, year-over-year.

Nebraska fans get a little overboard.... but that crooting jump was some impressive stuff.

Nebraska's national average recruiting ranking between 2011-2017 is 26.29.

So, they've always been able to recruit. The difference now is they have a coach who can coach.

It will be interesting what happens between them and Wisconsin. The whole B1G West has become tougher.

Long as he doesn't start balling one of his assistant coach's old ladies, he should be okay. There probably aren't any assistant coaches on staff like Lawrence Phillips though. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Wonder if it will be another let down much like Norte Dame has experienced over the years or if the program will get going again.

Well, if Nebraska Football somehow pinches a loaf I will not shed any tears. :clap: But, I think under Frost they will be the one pitching loaves on everyone else before too long. :cry:

They've always had the talent. In 2017, talent-wise Nebraska was ranked 29th while the Gophers 63rd.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

If PJ Fleck has 16 4-Stars on the roster like Nebraska had in 2017, imagine what sort of noise the Gophers can make.

Wonder if it will be another let down much like Norte Dame has experienced over the years or if the program will get going again.

Scott is at least a way better prospect than say Mike was.....

Scott is at least a way better prospect than say Mike was.....

I think Frost will do well there. Man, how the heck was he able to coach his former team for the bowl game, recruit for Nebraska and welcome a newborn? That is being busy.

Nebraska has moved up from 5th to 4th in wins all time under Frost....

Long as he doesn't start balling one of his assistant coach's old ladies, he should be okay. There probably aren't any assistant coaches on staff like Lawrence Phillips though. I'm sure everything will be fine.

funny, i hear very similar comments from many people down here....

Do they have Jackalopes in Nebraska?

What a bunch of buffoons for going all-in on a young, energetic, hot-shot recruiter who is unproven as a head coach at this level. Talk about irrational blind faith. I mean, the program is stuck in a rut, there is almost no way he can turn......wait a second...

Unfortunately, for the rest of us in the West, he will do well with his amazing football platform and support. He has a murderous road schedule his first year but should make a bowl, anyway. Trouble for us down the road.

Unfortunately, for the rest of us in the West, he will do well with his amazing football platform and support. He has a murderous road schedule his first year but should make a bowl, anyway. Trouble for us down the road.

Frost, Brohm, and yes PJ were all HR hires for the B1G West, and I still think Lovie was a stand up double. It's doubtful the BTW will ever pull the talent of the BTE, but at the very least I think we can say the days of the Badgers getting a free pass to Indy are over.

I agree. If frost fails, Nebraska is the new Minnesota.

If he succeeds at least Wisconsin will win less.

I'll start stressing about Nebraska's resurgence when/if the Gophers get to the point where they are challenging for the West title. Until then, I will welcome their improvement if it means wisconsin is hurt by it.

The Gophers need to have someone tenderize Wiscy before the Gophers play them at least in 2018 away (Nov. 24) and 2019 at home (Nov. 30).

IN 2020, the Gopher play Wiscy away (Oct. 10), and 2021 at home (Oct. 9).

At one point a coach left Ohio State to go to Minnesota and people thought the same thing

54pHjmU.gif

What a bunch of buffoons for going all-in on a young, energetic, hot-shot recruiter who is unproven as a head coach at this level. Talk about irrational blind faith. I mean, the program is stuck in a rut, there is almost no way he can turn......wait a second...

unproven? Perhpas you missed he took over an 0-12 team and went to a bowl (lost) in his first season. no year zero. No whining about talent, just coached and won at UCF.

Of course, you might have missed the two years as Oregon's O Coordinator where he coached the country's #2, 3 and 5 ranked offense.

So yeah, unproven.

And his ability to recruit, while coaching another school, while having a kid suggests that he'll be as if not more successful when he's focused full time on it.

Frost's hire put a major roadblock in PJ Fleck's strategy. So far, our unproven coach hasn't shown he can win with inferior talent that don't compeltely drink his kool-aid. Doesn't mean he won't, but to compare Frost to PJ Fleck AND the commitment of the University of Nebraska to the University of Minnestoa is wishful thinking. We are the longshot in this scenario. Wisconsin the even money favorite, frost the trendy 3-2 up and coming threat.

But hey, at least we lead the league in excuses and stupid terminology. I guarantee you, like Brohm, Frost is here to win now, not in three years. Regarless of the talent on the roster.

unproven? Perhpas you missed he took over an 0-12 team and went to a bowl (lost) in his first season. no year zero. No whining about talent, just coached and won at UCF.

Of course, you might have missed the two years as Oregon's O Coordinator where he coached the country's #2, 3 and 5 ranked offense.

So yeah, unproven.

And his ability to recruit, while coaching another school, while having a kid suggests that he'll be as if not more successful when he's focused full time on it.

Frost's hire put a major roadblock in PJ Fleck's strategy. So far, our unproven coach hasn't shown he can win with inferior talent that don't compeltely drink his kool-aid. Doesn't mean he won't, but to compare Frost to PJ Fleck AND the commitment of the University of Nebraska to the University of Minnestoa is wishful thinking. We are the longshot in this scenario. Wisconsin the even money favorite, frost the trendy 3-2 up and coming threat.

But hey, at least we lead the league in excuses and stupid terminology. I guarantee you, like Brohm, Frost is here to win now, not in three years. Regarless of the talent on the roster.

Because saying there was a lack of talent at UCF is untrue. They've always been one of the more talented teams in that league. The 0-12 season was the anomaly, they were 10-4, 12-1, and 9-4 in the 3 seasons before that. Even 6-6 was an underachievement in year one.

So yeah, unproven.

It shows what coaching can do if you already have quality horses in the stable.

Scott Frost walked into a perfect situation at UCF to showcase his coaching ability.

Florida is flushed with football talent. With so many talented football players in Florida, it make you wonder if someone who is rated as a two star may be a three star elsewhere. Is there such a thing as ratings deflation with so many quality players in Florida?

Let's face it, Minnesota feels like a tundra when it comes to recruiting from the deep south. Hopefully, this will change under PJ Fleck if he can continue to have recruiting classes in the 30s or better. You've got to have the horses to do any damage.

Winning, and winning consistently will change perceptions in a hurry. PJF will have to walk the walk to back up the talk.

<b>Because saying there was a lack of talent at UCF is untrue. </b>They've always been one of the more talented teams in that league. The 0-12 season was the anomaly, they were 10-4, 12-1, and 9-4 in the 3 seasons before that. Even 6-6 was an underachievement in year one.

What was UCF's talent ranking?

There can be better hires than PJ. It's OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was UCF's talent ranking?

There can be better hires than PJ. It's OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 12 they were 11th in AAC and 96 overall
In 13 they were 8 and 79
In 14 they were 3 and 68
In 15 they were 3 and 71
In 16 they were 4 and 65

Top Bottom