Frost Fever hits Phase 2 at Nebraska

What was UCF's talent ranking?

There can be better hires than PJ. It's OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are pretty similar hires. Both had great seasons at low level schools. Frost turned his around faster but the program Frost was at had a BCS bowl win, a 12-1 season, and a top 15 finish in 2013-14. I’d expect the guy in that program to be able to turn it around faster.

What makes Frost a better hire is there is a 100% chance that frost will not leave for a better job if he is successful. Also making it a better hire is the fact that it is Nebraska’s Heisman winning quarterback. Those two thing have nothing to do with the quality of the two as coaches though.

Likewise, Frost is more likely to be successful. And it has nothing to do with their ability as coaches.
If Frost was at Minnesota and Fleck was at Nebraska, Fleck is more likely to be successful.

In 12 they were 11th in AAC and 96 overall
In 13 they were 8 and 79
In 14 they were 3 and 68
In 15 they were 3 and 71
In 16 they were 4 and 65

And in 17 they were 1 and 55

Meanwhile the Gophers were 12th in the B1G and 63 overall, lower than UCF.

Both schools need to stay away relatively free of scandals in this hyper sensitive social media era.

What does the 17 rating have to do with how many games Frost won in his two years there?

Interesting article on Frost’s time as a player at UNL. It was not all roses, for sure. Friction between Frost and Osborne, the team, the fans. All seems to be forgiven at this point...

This article helps explain why I always chuckle when some assert we have the worst fans. Passion goes both ways and can turn in a heartbeat. We just have a smaller number.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/the-st...cle_d23a0bb0-ba7f-11e7-85a1-07e004b8e998.html

UCF was lower than Rutgers tho, and way below that MD juggernaut you were pimping.

They are pretty similar hires. Both had great seasons at low level schools. Frost turned his around faster but the program Frost was at had a BCS bowl win, a 12-1 season, and a top 15 finish in 2013-14. I’d expect the guy in that program to be able to turn it around faster.

What makes Frost a better hire is there is a 100% chance that frost will not leave for a better job if he is successful. Also making it a better hire is the fact that it is Nebraska’s Heisman winning quarterback. Those two thing have nothing to do with the quality of the two as coaches though.

Likewise, Frost is more likely to be successful. And it has nothing to do with their ability as coaches.
If Frost was at Minnesota and Fleck was at Nebraska, Fleck is more likely to be successful.

I don't think I disagree with anything you wrote. Bottom Line, for me, is that I would rather have Frost than PJ - so in my mind (100%, BTW) he was a better hire. I'd take Brohm over either one, in a heartbeat.

I don't think I disagree with anything you wrote. Bottom Line, for me, is that I would rather have Frost than PJ - so in my mind (100%, BTW) he was a better hire. I'd take Brohm over either one, in a heartbeat.

You, my friend, just earned yourself a pass to Gopherhole hell.

Because saying there was a lack of talent at UCF is untrue. They've always been one of the more talented teams in that league. The 0-12 season was the anomaly, they were 10-4, 12-1, and 9-4 in the 3 seasons before that. Even 6-6 was an underachievement in year one.

Fair. I didn't look at the end all be all of college football win/loss predictors, so they did have the best talent in the AAC.

Navy, who had the worst in the AAC was 4-4. Wonder what that means?

Fair. I didn't look at the end all be all of college football win/loss predictors, so they did have the best talent in the AAC.

<b>Navy, who had the worst in the AAC was 4-4. Wonder what that means?</b>

Simple. Outlier.

I think any of those three COULD be successful. I don’t think any are slam dunks (success being relative) to win the conference.

I probably rank them in terms of my level of wanting them:
Frost
Fleck
Brohm

I think Brohm is the most likely to bolt at the earliest opportunity. I fully expect them to be 7-5 or 8-4 next year and for him to leave for greener pastures. He already flirted with TN last fall.
I personally find Fleck a little annoying, thus Frost 1.

UCF was lower than Rutgers tho, and way below that MD juggernaut you were pimping.

And they beat them. But they were 55 and the gophers 63 in the arbiter of all knowing win projecting.

And we all know that higher is better in these completely consistent completely accurate rankings of players made before they’ve ever played a down of college football so the difference from 55 to 63 apparently is enough to spank a team in the 20s and not jeopardize the validity of these sacred numbers.

Simple. Outlier.

Gee, I thought it might indicated that coaching actually matters.

Or at worst, maybe as you go down the list, the rankings are more general than specific.

I don’t argue that better talent isn’t good, but better coaching along with better talent is better.

Given our strategy is to out recruit everyone (well only in the west) and we failed in that so far (regardless of what things looked like in December) the coaching needs to take a massive step forward this year or were looking at being an “outlier” like:

Florida
Arkansas
Florida State
Oregon State
Nebraska
Etc

From 2017.

Or at worst, maybe as you go down the list, the rankings are more general than specific.

This has been my view from day 1. I have never doubted 5-star players are more talented than 3-star or 4-star than 2-star players, generally. I have never doubted a team made of 4/5-stars is more talented than one made of 3-stars. Take the top 20 classes and know they have more talent. After that... 20-60? Flip a coin, factor in coach, style, who flunks out, who flops, etc. Why we still include the AL vs KY matchups to help prove rankings matter throughout (55 better than 63) is silly. IMO, of course.

The talent rankings 247 started may very well be more accurate - only because they have removed their biggest misses from the initial rankings (players who flunked out, flopped, didn't make it to campus, transferred for other reasons, etc.) - but the motive behind them is so transparent that I can't take them seriously.

You made a comparison that Frost didn't need a year 0 and Fleck did. Yet Frost inherited a team with top end talent in the AAC, and still only won 1 more game in year 1 than Fleck did in the B1G.

If you wanted to compare apples to apples, Fleck would have had to inherit talent on the level of Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St in the B1G. If Fleck would have inherited that, would he have won more than 5 games? Absolutely.

Frost proved he could go undefeated with half of O'Leary's talented players and half of his own. Fleck proved more by going undefeated in the regular season with a roster made up entirely of his own players.

Frost proved he could go undefeated with half of O'Leary's talented players and half of his own. <b>Fleck proved more </b>by going undefeated in the regular season with a roster made up entirely of his own players.

You're joking, right? PJ's season at WMU was awesome, but his signature wins were vs IL and jNW (the same teams we beat that year). What Frost and UCF did last year was a level of magnitude more impressive.

When talking about recruiting rankings and on-field results, it doesn't really make sense to include any of the service academies. They recruit so much differently than any other school in the country. They sometimes sign 70-80 new recruits in a year - they don't have to stick to the annual limits that everyone else does, because everyone at their schools gets a full ride whether they're athletes or not.

It's tough to say whether it's good coaching or just simply a much greater margin for error. Even though they have challenges with weight limits and the overall difficulty of being a student there, it's kind of amazing that all the service academies aren't at least decent every year when they can choose from among that many players on their own roster. Navy and Air Force have been consistently good for a while, and now that Army finally found a good coach, look what they did last year.

Aren't the football players expected to do all the other requirements of a cadet in addition to football?

That has to make it tougher at the end of each day than playing football at a university.

Lovie looks much more like a wild strikeout swinging at pitches in the dirt than a stand up double.

I think for Illinois it was a worthy roll of the dice that hard a low chance of success.... and it seems like it is working out that way...

Aren't the football players expected to do all the other requirements of a cadet in addition to football?

That has to make it tougher at the end of each day than playing football at a university.

Yes, and I don't really understand your second sentence because they are playing football at a university.

Yes, and I don't really understand your second sentence because they are playing football at a university.

Playing for West Point for instance, a friend's son still had to get up at an early morning hour for their drills among other requirements. They are not exempted.

The student athletes have to do all these in addition to all the course work and conditioning and practice for football, hockey, etc...

I can see where no limits on scholarships does not necessarily translate into more victories.

On top of that, I think they have to serve six years in the Armed Forces.

Playing for West Point for instance, a friend's son still had to get up at an early morning hour for their drills among other requirements. They are not exempted.

The student athletes have to do all these in addition to all the course work and conditioning and practice for football, hockey, etc...

I can see where no limits on scholarships does not necessarily translate into more victories.

On top of that, I think they have to serve six years in the Armed Forces.

Right, I get all of that. I think all of what you've mentioned and the lack of scholarship limits tend to balance each other out.

Top Bottom