Black History Month: Rachel Banham

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/021418aaa.html

In honor of Black History Month, Gopher Athletics is celebrating those who made us great. Throughout February, GopherSports.com will share short interviews with African-American alumni from almost every Gopher program. In these interviews, former student-athletes reflect on their time at the U of M, provide advice to current Gophers and share what Black History Month means to them personally.

What is it you honestly miss most about the University?
What I miss most about the University is the people. I loved being around such a supportive community and playing alongside a bunch of women who were like sisters to me.

If you could give the current student-athletes any piece of advice, what would it be?
My piece of advice would be to enjoy every moment. It flies by so fast and you have to soak it all in because nothing in your life is going to be like college, nor being on a team of people who understand your life in ways others cannot. Also use all the resources that are available to you!

Please share your favorite university or athletic event you've attended since you graduated and what made it so special to you?
The most special moment for me after graduating was going back to watch the women's basketball team take on top-ranked Maryland and have the privilege of getting my jersey retired!

What are you grateful for?
I am grateful for God, family, friends, and good health.

What does Black History Month mean to you?
Black History Month means a lot to me because it's a time to shine even more light on those who were strong, brave, and paved a way for all of us to live a more comfortable life.

What occupies your time now?
Basketball and working out occupy most of my time. But outside of that, hanging with friends/family and my dogs.

Top Bottom