Anfernee Simons says he is considering Minnesota, planning a visit

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
5 star guard Anfernee Simons (currently ranked #7 by 247) is reportedly considering Minnesota and planning a visit, per 247sports. He currently plays for IMG Academy.

Link to the article here: https://247sports.com/college/minne...aps-NC-State-visit-talks-recruiting-115049364

He is an interesting case because he is allowed to enter the NBA draft, despite being in high school. I can't remember exactly but I think his age and academic standing allow him to do so.

6'4, 170lb guard. Originally planned to commit to...Louisville. Tennessee, SMU, NC State, Florida and Dayton also in the mix.

Kind of a strange list, but Minnesota fits with that strangeness. Not sure if its a personality thing, or people assume he is going pro, or what the deal is.

Definitely an interesting revelation though.

He's attending prep school this year after graduating from high school. It's not a loophole. He would be a year removed from high school, so he's eligible for the NBA Draft if he so chooses.

Get him on campus for an official visit before we get too excited. Haven't heard much of anything about him, so I'm a bit surprised the Gophers are in the mix. Then again, we didn't know a thing about Fitzgerald until the day he officially transferred here. It would set a great precedent for the future to land a top-10 recruit and you can never have enough guards. That would be an awfully young back-court with IW, but you also have Coffey and McBrayer to help with that.

That would be an awfully young back-court with IW, but you also have Coffey and McBrayer to help with that.

Simmons would be 20 or close to 20 next year.

The Star Tribune teased out that someone else might be leaving the program opening another scholly.

It also mentioned Courtney Ramey as someone we are recruiting.
https://247sports.com/Player/Courtney-Ramey-86029

With the Louisville connection to both Ramey and Simons, I can only assume Rick will be an assistant on Richard's staff next year.

So, if anyone knows - is this guy named after Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway?

(for the benefit of younger readers, Penny Hardaway was an all-Star PG in the NBA. Was on a hall-of-fame type career until the injuries started piling up. also did a lot of commercials, and was in the movie "Blue Chips" with Shaq and Nick Nolte (doing his best Bobby Knight impersonation).

The Star Tribune teased out that someone else might be leaving the program opening another scholly.

It also mentioned Courtney Ramey as someone we are recruiting.
https://247sports.com/Player/Courtney-Ramey-86029

With the Louisville connection to both Ramey and Simons, I can only assume Rick will be an assistant on Richard's staff next year.

Nobody, not even Jesus Christ himself, would be on this staff after being involved in Rick's cheating scandal.

The new Athlete's Village will seal the deal. Anfernee Simons is OURS!

Very strange list if you are rated #7. My guess is high risk character issues. Pass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Character questions? He would only be here a year, what could happen?

Plus, consuming food at the Athlete's Village that has been purposely laced with saltpeter will have a calming effect on him and the Lads.

Very strange list if you are rated #7. My guess is high risk character issues. Pass.

Or maybe most teams think he's going straight to the NBA and don't want to waste their time?

d6008a80f8d85db30f41ae43f19a5f76.gif

Not targeted at you but very unfair for posters to even began to cast the idea on character unless they know. He has friends coming to play football here. One year and gone or none and not fun for the guys playing here at his position waving goodbye to their investment. If the U gets in that one and done business you better get in all the way and i am not sure the regents like that way of doing business.

Not targeted at you but very unfair for posters to even began to cast the idea on character unless they know. He has friends coming to play football here. One year and gone or none and not fun for the guys playing here at his position waving goodbye to their investment. If the U gets in that one and done business you better get in all the way and i am not sure the regents like that way of doing business.

Well, Richard isn't stupid. He likely knows next season is make or break and that we need another talented ball-handling guard that can produce right away. I expect Pitino to be heavily involved in the grad transfer market as well.

Well, Richard isn't stupid. He likely knows next season is make or break and that we need another talented ball-handling guard that can produce right away. I expect Pitino to be heavily involved in the grad transfer market as well.

That's how I would treat Simmons anyways. View him like he is a grad transfer because that is essentially what he would be. If he decides to stay a couple of years for some bizzare reason, then we have a great recruit. Really see no reason why you would not take him unless he has issues we do not know about.

I have little insight into this recruit but it is very tough pull over Florida where he also has friends going and NC State as he is close with 2 recruits and Keatts. Keven is a very charismatic and at the same time humble guy . Does anyone have some information that indicates that that the Gophs have even a chance. I had heard that he was such a long shot that they threw their hat in the ring for Josiah James.

I have little insight into this recruit but it is very tough pull over Florida where he also has friends going and NC State as he is close with 2 recruits and Keatts. Keven is a very charismatic and at the same time humble guy . Does anyone have some information that indicates that that the Gophs have even a chance. I had heard that he was such a long shot that they threw their hat in the ring for Josiah James.

Seems like you know every single recruit Minnesota is involved with yet, I have never really seen any info that has corroborated your claims.

If he visits you have a chance and he recently told a reporter he will probably take a visit to Minnesota. I still think there is a good chance he just goes straight to the draft even though I don't think he should, but getting a top 10 recruit on campus seeing and talking about the new facilities is good for the program whether he ultimately decides to be a Gopher or not.

Seems like you know every single recruit Minnesota is involved with yet, I have never really seen any info that has corroborated your claims.

I knew very little on this one, none on Gabe. None on Harris. Much on IW, Everything on Mason. Scout some high school and AAU and over the years you know a great many coaches and they tell you tidbits without breaking privacy. When i have no clue i ask. Late into my seventies now i do not go that often but still make recommendations on who a coach will not have to see. What would you like, your more than welcome to join me the next time i see any of the locals.

He looks like a nice player and he would be an unbelievable addition to this team who will need some scoring from the guard position next year. That said, I’m surprised this guy is the #7 recruit in the country. Don’t get me wrong, I just thought the #1 combo guard in the country would have a little more of a complete game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xAzcz4f08E

IMG isn't that big. My guess is the athletes at IMG all know one another. We have 3 football players who enrolled at the U of M in January from IMG. My guess: there is your connection.

Top Bottom