Anfernee Simons says he is considering Minnesota, planning a visit

IMG isn't that big. My guess is the athletes at IMG all know one another. We have 3 football players who enrolled at the U of M in January from IMG. My guess: there is your connection.

They have athletes all over the place. Like if he has friends a year older plus this current class for football and basketball he could conceivably have 30-40 connections to different colleges.

Landing a 5 star right now would sure make it easier to tolerate watching the 30 point drubbings.

I hope he wasn't watching tonight and visits after the season is over. Landing Simons or Ramey would be a very welcome piece of good news for a program/fan base that has had endured 2 of the worst seasons in the history of the program in the past 3 years.

Well, Richard isn't stupid. He likely knows next season is make or break and that we need another talented ball-handling guard that can produce right away. I expect Pitino to be heavily involved in the grad transfer market as well.

Make or break? Please provide all possible scenarios of “make”! We’d be idiots to get rid of a coach 2 years removed from a near big 10 title and big 10 coach of the year

Simons

Patrick Reusse was raving about Simons on KSTP 1500 last night. Sounds like Reusse has seen him play more than once. And this wasn't snarky Patrick talking. Said he's a way better guard (prospect) than Jelly. Said if Pitino landed him he'd be the best Gophers guard since Bobby Jackson. High praise.

Patrick Reusse was raving about Simons on KSTP 1500 last night. Sounds like Reusse has seen him play more than once. And this wasn't snarky Patrick talking. Said he's a way better guard (prospect) than Jelly. Said if Pitino landed him he'd be the best Gophers guard since Bobby Jackson. High praise.

Come on SS. What are the chances that fricking Patrick Reusse attended a high school basketball game, let alone one of a kid from Bradenton, Florida, and let alone "more than once?"

Or maybe most teams think he's going straight to the NBA and don't want to waste their time?

I don't think so. I looked at NBADraft.net and he's not listed in their mock draft. They do have a profile on him with a rating. His composite rating is 89. One-and-dones typically have higher ratings than that. For example, Collin Sexton, who played for Alabama against us earlier this year, is listed as the #9 pick on their draft board (of the 14 projected lottery picks, 11 are freshmen and one is an international player). Sexton's rating is 97. #14 is a shooting guard at KY and he has a 92 rating. Freshman guard Trevon Duvall (Duke) is listed as #24; he also went to IMG. His rating is 91. Few freshman leave if they're not projected first rounders.

Come on SS. What are the chances that fricking Patrick Reusse attended a high school basketball game, let alone one of a kid from Bradenton, Florida, and let alone "more than once?"

I don't know. Why don't you ask him?

I knew very little on this one, none on Gabe. None on Harris. Much on IW, Everything on Mason. Scout some high school and AAU and over the years you know a great many coaches and they tell you tidbits without breaking privacy. When i have no clue i ask. Late into my seventies now i do not go that often but still make recommendations on who a coach will not have to see. What would you like, your more than welcome to join me the next time i see any of the locals.

I wouldn't hate doing that. Let me get my ear in these discussions.

Pretty good actually. He snow-birds in that area.

Make or break? Please provide all possible scenarios of “make”! We’d be idiots to get rid of a coach 2 years removed from a near big 10 title and big 10 coach of the year

I'd say it's pretty make or break. One tournament appearance (and a poor showing in that one appearance) in five years isn't going to cut it at most P6 schools. It's tournament or bust and Pitino has to expect that. He's been around the game long enough to know how all this works which is why I think we are seeing the shift in recruiting.

I hope he wasn't watching tonight and visits after the season is over. Landing Simons or Ramey would be a very welcome piece of good news for a program/fan base that has had endured 2 of the worst seasons in the history of the program in the past 3 years.

I would argue the exact opposite, to be honest. If he watched last night, he saw an IMMEDIATE opportunity for a lot of playing time with Mason graduating. Recruits of his caliber couldn't care less about a team's record or the past. They care about playing time, access to facilities and a path to professional basketball.

Remember that while Calipari turns 1-and-done's every year at Kentucky, it wasn't that long ago that they lost to Robert Morris in the opening round of the NIT. And when Coach K started at Duke, they were hideous for some time before they consistently got the NCAA tournaments and contended for national titles.

Near B1G title? Look, we had a really good season, but let's not get carried away.

And don't even get me started on how big of a joke the Coach of the Year award is in any conference. Izzo (regardless of how you feel about him personally) somehow has only won B1G Coach of the Year three times in 23 seasons. Bill Self has won the last thirteen Big 12 titles in a row and he only was voted Big 12 COY five times. Coach K hasn't won ACC COY since 2000 despite winning five conference titles and three national championships since then. It's a joke of an award and should not be considered at all when determining a coach's future. It's more of an expectations award, and not really a merit award.

Near B1G title? Look, we had a really good season, but let's not get carried away.

And don't even get me started on how big of a joke the Coach of the Year award is in any conference. Izzo (regardless of how you feel about him personally) somehow has only won B1G Coach of the Year three times in 23 seasons. Bill Self has won the last thirteen Big 12 titles in a row and he only was voted Big 12 COY five times. Coach K hasn't won ACC COY since 2000 despite winning five conference titles and three national championships since then. It's a joke of an award and should not be considered at all when determining a coach's future. It's more of an expectations award, and not really a merit award.

Yep. He won it by virtue of how bad we were two years ago. Just as Molitor won AL manager of the year. They should rename it 'coach who most exceeded expectations' because that's what it is.

Doh'k....Happy Valentine's day sunshine [emoji8]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your take stunk whether it's Valentine's Day or not. Great basketball player doesn't have offer from Duke, must be a troublemaker, pass. I just wanted to profoundly thank you for your contributions to the conversation, tremendous insight you have.

Near Big Ten title? I didn't realize that finishing in 4th place and 3 games back was a near Big Ten title. Interesting.

Near Big Ten title? I didn't realize that finishing in 4th place and 3 games back was a near Big Ten title. Interesting.

Nearer than Tubby ever got........

Nearer than Tubby ever got........

Yea, but Tubby had those 2 and 3 win B1G seasons that got him fired. Plus a .426 career B1G winning percentage -- yuck, we are better than that

Tubby had full team and still floundered. Just like he is at Memphis

Let's focus on the 5-Star that is considering coming here. If you Tubby loyalists want to play I could set up a date for you to do so.

I'd re-direct that comment to the person who brought him up

What does 247 say about simmons and this other Louisville de-commit? Do they even list Minnesota?

Top Bottom