Blind Resume Part IV: 2 Teams for Final At-Large Bid

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
You're a member of the Selection Committee, and you have 2 teams under consideration for the final at-large bid. Which team do you select? I think this one is much tougher than the last two I've posted.

Team reveals and results will be posted here at noon.

vs. = neutral-site game
@ = road game
# only = home game

Team A
Record: 18-6
RPI: #44
KenPom: #68
Record vs. Quadrant 1: 3-2
Record vs. Quadrant 1/2 Combined: 6-4
True Road Record: 6-4
Overall SOS: #103
Non-Conference SOS: #52
Best 3 Wins (using RPI): @ #33, @ #41, vs. #43 (total = 117)

Team B
Record: 17-8
RPI: #52
KenPom: #49
Record vs. Quadrant 1: 2-4
Record vs. Quadrant 1/2 Combined: 5-7
True Road Record: 2-5
Overall SOS: #63
Non-Conference SOS: #71
Best 3 Wins (using RPI): @ #18, vs. #20, #45 (total = 83)

This one is pretty tough, I was going to say A, but then I sort of questioned the choice. What if B just plays in a deeper conference that has more solid teams, and A plays in a weaker conference that just has some firepower at the top (potentially evidenced by the difference in SOS and Non-Conf SOS). I would almost argue that B should get in for playing a more complete schedule but then they are 2-4 against quad 1 teams, so you kind of have to go A.

A close but the true road record maybe is the key for me

The result is unanimous: Bonnies have it Bruin

Apparently I'm not very good at putting truly comparable bubble teams side by side! We had another unanimous vote, with Team A receiving all 9 votes. You might be surprised by who we all selected.

Team A = Saint Bonaventure
Team B= UCLA

Saint Bonaventure
Best 3 Wins (using RPI): @ #33 Buffalo, @ #41 Syracuse, vs. #43 Vermont (total = 117)

UCLA
Best 3 Wins (using RPI): @ #18 Arizona, vs. #20 Kentucky, #45 Washington (total = 83)

Top Bottom