***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

It's useful to have some perspective here. Even in the disastrous 2-16 season two years ago - what many consider to be the worst U of M season of all time - the Gophers lost to #1 ranked Michigan State by only 8 points at home. That team was generally much more competitive than this year's depleted team, which has now lost home games by 34 and 30 points. At this moment in time, the shorthanded Gopher team we're watching is probably the worst performing squad in program history.
I agree. This year's squad plays abysmal defense. Tino should make it priority #1 to bring in a coach who will produce players who lock down on the defensive end.

I agree. This year's squad plays abysmal defense. Tino should make it priority #1 to bring in a coach who will produce players who lock down on the defensive end.

I don't get the feeling from hearing him on his programs or reading his quotes in print that he thinks there's a defensive coaching problem. His general approach from day 1 seems to be to recruit more talented players than our opponents have and then outscore them. As has been opined herein, the best defensive teams we've had are due to individual players who come in with a defensive background/motivation and prior defensive coaching.

I don't get the feeling from hearing him on his programs or reading his quotes in print that he thinks there's a defensive coaching problem. His general approach from day 1 seems to be to recruit more talented players than our opponents have and then outscore them. As has been opined herein, the best defensive teams we've had are due to individual players who come in with a defensive background/motivation and prior defensive coaching.

Tino is being unrealistic if he imagines he can recruit at a blue blood level where coaching and training become less important. We have to get more with less and that requires teaching our players how to move without the ball on offense as well as how to play effective team defense.
If Tino cannot do this then UMN needs to cut bait and find a coaching staff who can.

Top Bottom