New Mexico State defends signing of ex-Minnesota player accused of sexual assault

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
New Mexico State last month announced the addition of a junior college transfer, but this one isn’t like most others.

As a redshirt freshman at Minnesota in 2016, Ray Buford, Jr., was allegedly involved in a sexual assault that would eventually engulf the program in result in head coach Tracy Claeys being pushed out. Though he was never charged by two separate investigations, Buford was suspended and later recommended for expulsion, along with three others, but instead announced he would leave the school before the school could kick him out.

He wound up at Independence Community College in Kansas and, now, New Mexico State.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...x-minnesota-player-accused-of-sexual-assault/

They (NMSU) are the first opponent on our schedule. That skeleton keeps falling out of the closet.

He shouldnt be on the Gophers after how he behaved. I'm fine with 2nd chances though, and I'm fine with NMS defending him and giving him the 2nd chance.

Congrats on the 2nd chance Mr. Buford, now make the most of it!

There is such a thing as redemption. I hope he makes the best of his second chance.

I don't have a problem with it provided he seems to have learned and etc.... no way for me to make that determination. Hopefully the coaches have.

We should always support people who learn from their mistakes. We are quick to get angry and judge them, and maybe rightfully so, but they all deserve a second chance. Good for Ray I hope he does well there.

Do you think the EOAA will approach NMSU and recommend they expel him?
The hubris of that office means I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to throw their influence around at other schools.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IMHO, he has been punished enough.

New Mexico State last month announced the addition of a junior college transfer, but this one isn’t like most others.

As a redshirt freshman at Minnesota in 2016, Ray Buford, Jr., was allegedly involved in a sexual assault that would eventually engulf the program in result in head coach Tracy Claeys being pushed out. Though he was never charged by two separate investigations, Buford was suspended and later recommended for expulsion, along with three others, but instead announced he would leave the school before the school could kick him out.

He wound up at Independence Community College in Kansas and, now, New Mexico State.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...x-minnesota-player-accused-of-sexual-assault/

There are a lot of pretty girls in NewMexico! Good for Ray I hope he makes good decisions and keeps his priorities striaght

These are kind of weird takes, IMO.

You either believe the girl's story and he absolutely does NOT deserve a second chance. He should in be jail and not playing football.

OR

You believe the players side of the story and he has not lessons to learn. He had consensual sex in a way that made some people like Joe Soucheray feel icky. He is an absolute victim and talking about him "keeping his priorities straight" is incredibly offensive.

It seems like it would have to be either/or in this situation.

I understand saying "I have no idea what happened", but then you shouldn't say that he should learn his lesson or anything like that (that implies wrongdoing).

These are kind of weird takes, IMO.

You either believe the girl's story and he absolutely does NOT deserve a second chance. He should in be jail and not playing football.

OR

You believe the players side of the story and he has not lessons to learn. He had consensual sex in a way that made some people like Joe Soucheray feel icky. He is an absolute victim and talking about him "keeping his priorities straight" is incredibly offensive.

It seems like it would have to be either/or in this situation.

I understand saying "I have no idea what happened", but then you shouldn't say that he should learn his lesson or anything like that (that implies wrongdoing).

Adding to this, the Aziz Ansari case (look it up) really highlights the distorted views and muddy waters of what constitutes sexual assault amongst activists and younger people. The label of sexual assault is thrown around way too loosely.

There were apparent issues of affirmative consent in the MN Ten case (which is not a crime in MN) but whether their was sexual assault as we commonly envision it is far from clear.

Adding to this, the Aziz Ansari case (look it up) really highlights the distorted views and muddy waters of what constitutes sexual assault amongst activists and younger people. The label of sexual assault is thrown around way too loosely.

There were apparent issues of affirmative consent in the MN Ten case (which is not a crime in MN) but whether their was sexual assault as we commonly envision it is far from clear.

I think the Aziz thing and the Gopher thing were quite a bit different. The Aziz story has a woman who isn't quite claiming she was assaulted (at least not at the time of the first article, haven't kept up since then), but the other situation her claim is quite a bit more clear, and she described her situation VERY differently.

Rehashing the topic, but there is an opening here to differentiate between liberals and liberal thought and the hard left that is pushing the EOAA processes that is perhaps incorrectly labeling some young men as sexual deviants

Bill and Bari explain

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E6lCPvwiIqo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the Aziz thing and the Gopher thing were quite a bit different. The Aziz story has a woman who isn't quite claiming she was assaulted (at least not at the time of the first article, haven't kept up since then), but the other situation her claim is quite a bit more clear, and she described her situation VERY differently.

She did say she was assaulted. How is the other situation different?

Verbatim from the Ansari accuser’s story:

Grace says her friends helped her grapple with the aftermath of her night with Ansari. “It took a really long time for me to validate this as sexual assault,” she told us. “I was debating if this was an awkward sexual experience or sexual assault. And that’s why I confronted so many of my friends and listened to what they had to say, because I wanted validation that it was actually bad.”

She did say she was assaulted. How is the other situation different?

She didn't even know if he ever heard her say no (she noted she was mumbling) until she said it clearly and it ended when it came to the Aziz thing.

That was not the situation described in the other event.... not even close.

She didn't even know if he ever heard her say no (she noted she was mumbling) until she said it clearly and it ended when it came to the Aziz thing.

That was not the situation described in the other event.... not even close.

Ok...then why publicly accuse him of assault? I’m not following you here.

The MN situation revolves around consent. The woman initially had a thresome with two guys she just met. This turned into a group sex situation and it wasn’t clear in the EOAA report she attempted to leave or even said no more until the end. So, were the guys raping her? Or was it a case of miscommunication with a girl they thought was a freak? I honestly don’t know. And with the climate around the issue, the distorted vocabulary I think it’s fair to question.

Ok...then why publicly accuse him of assault? I’m not following you here.

The MN situation revolves around consent. The woman initially had a thresome with two guys she just met. This turned into a group sex situation and it wasn’t clear in the EOAA report she attempted to leave or even said no more until the end. So, were the guys raping her? Or was it a case of miscommunication with a girl they thought was a freak? I honestly don’t know. And with the climate around the issue, the distorted vocabulary I think it’s fair to question.

I don't know why you're asking me the first question... I didn't accuse him of anything. You'd have to ask her questions like that.

I'm saying the two different situations just as they were described were not the same at all.

I just believe in 2nd chances. He may have needed a change of scenery to get his life in order after his name was thrown in the mud. As long as he has been a model citizen, more power to him.

I don't know why you're asking me the first question... I didn't accuse him of anything. You'd have to ask her questions like that.

I'm saying the two different situations just as they were described were not the same at all.

I pasted a verbatim quote of her stating he assaulted her after you falsely stated she did not say he assaulted...you know what, just forget it.

You still haven’t answered why the situations are different. Maybe you have a scenario painted in your mind, but that’s specifically why I’m asking. To me besides the number of participants they are not all that different. Did she specifically try to leave or say no? The report said she felt intimidated, similar to the Ansari accuser. So we’re left with an affirmative consent scenario which again is not a crime in MN even if it can get one kicked out of school.

So we’re left with an affirmative consent scenario which again is not a crime in MN even if it can get one kicked out of school.

Which is why many people wish him well and hope that he learned his lesson.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I wish him well. I'm glad he is getting a second chance. Not because I think anything he allegedly did here was proven, but because the EOAA and UofM took his first chance away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pasted a verbatim quote of her stating he assaulted her after you falsely stated she did not say he assaulted...you know what, just forget it.

You still haven’t answered why the situations are different. Maybe you have a scenario painted in your mind, but that’s specifically why I’m asking. To me besides the number of participants they are not all that different. Did she specifically try to leave or say no? The report said she felt intimidated, similar to the Ansari accuser. So we’re left with an affirmative consent scenario which again is not a crime in MN even if it can get one kicked out of school.

It is super easy to just reference something weird and awkward like the Aziz thing and paint every other situation distantly similar with it... doing that you could downplay just about anything.

There are people out there with prurient interests from sex addicts, to over sexed young male and female students, to bonafide sl#ts.

There are men and women out there who are into group sex. No matter how loose a woman is, no means no. That is where you cross the line. If I hear the story correctly, that is the original crux of the case against the Gopher football players who were expelled. That a rape was committed.

The police deemed no crime was committed because they could not find definitive prove. But, some of the players were found guilty of violating the students code of conduct.

The national stories of actors and actresses being exploited brought down powerful people who are pigs who abused their power. That was a long time coming. Then, the Me Too movement came into full swing and flushed other people like The Today Show Host Mat Lauer. That is fine and dandy. They are finally getting their day.

What about people who did not sexually harass someone but stand publicly accused? In this twitter age, how can you defend yourself if you are not guilty? Where do we draw the line?

This is becoming the new McCarthyism.

There are bound to be innocent people accused publicly and in social media. However, there are monsters out there especially ones with a lot of power like Harvey Weinstein who finally is getting a day of reckoning.

I hope he learned that certain situations will always look bad, pulling a train, even if the woman was willing, is one of them. I know it's a lot to ask a young man, but he has to think things through, there are a lot of no win situations.

I hope he learned that certain situations will always look bad, pulling a train, even if the woman was willing, is one of them. I know it's a lot to ask a young man, but he has to think things through, there are a lot of no win situations.

He has to think using the right head in the heat of passion.

Screw this guy. You don't have to be Minnesota nice and give your well wishes to every player that leaves the program.

I don't care if you believe he was guilty or not. His actions put a lot of people in horrible situations. When you blur the lines between consent and assault and cause the university to get dragged through the mud, you lose your privilege of playing football at the University of Minnesota.

He spent a year at a JUCO and now will continue to get a free education. He'll be okay. I certainly hope he gets his life in order, but I won't be cheering for him on the football field.

Rehashing the topic, but there is an opening here to differentiate between liberals and liberal thought and the hard left that is pushing the EOAA processes that is perhaps incorrectly labeling some young men as sexual deviants

Bill and Bari explain

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E6lCPvwiIqo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting. I've stopped watching Maher because his show became predictable, but this conversation is very good and is needed. I hope younger people take note and are rational about this issue as they will be the ones who have to navigate the workplace environment that's being shaped now.

Top Bottom