No PJ Fleck interview today on the Sports Huddle (2-11-18)

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Dave Mona just announced that there will be NO PJ Fleck interview today on the Sports Huddle on WCCO.

Fleck is travelling and is unavailable.

You may now resume your regular Sunday morning activities.

Crooting is more important for our Three Million Dollar Man.

Maybe he is cooking up a replacement Handy-Holly.

Anniversary probably just as important to he and his wife.

Anniversary probably just as important to he and his wife.

His wedding anniversary is more important than the WCCO Sports Huddle? Where are his priorities?

Does PJ have a planner or a calendar or a cell phone? How many other appointments does he forget about? Does he have a secretary to remind him? Are there any coaches left on staff he could delegate the time slot to? Could he ask one of his players from the leadership council to fill in? Could he ask a senior who used up his football eligibility but has something interesting to say? Could he ask his communications director to step in for him?
Yes, it bugs me he can't keep a commitment. Solve the problem PJ. You look unprepared, irresponsible nearly each Sunday. If you don't want to do the show, negotiate to cancel the contract, but make a decision. In or out?
What, we are not excited enough about the direction of Gopher football to share it? We have nothing to talk about? We aren't grateful enough for the new practice facilities to share 10 minutes a week on the radio to publicize how awesome Gopher football is? What an amazing time and opportunity to connect the past, present and future all over the state on the radio?

Does PJ have a planner or a calendar or a cell phone? How many other appointments does he forget about? Does he have a secretary to remind him? Are there any coaches left on staff he could delegate the time slot to? Could he ask one of his players from the leadership council to fill in? Could he ask a senior who used up his football eligibility but has something interesting to say? Could he ask his communications director to step in for him?
Yes, it bugs me he can't keep a commitment. Solve the problem PJ. You look unprepared, irresponsible nearly each Sunday. If you don't want to do the show, negotiate to cancel the contract, but make a decision. In or out?
What, we are not excited enough about the direction of Gopher football to share it? We have nothing to talk about? We aren't grateful enough for the new practice facilities to share 10 minutes a week on the radio to publicize how awesome Gopher football is? What an amazing time and opportunity to connect the past, present and future all over the state on the radio?
Are you sure there is a contract?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Give it a rest. All you do on here is complain.

Are you sure there is a contract?

A contract would require Fleck to submit to repetitive and insipid interviews on the Sports Huddle every Sunday come hell or high water. My guess is there is no contract and probably no verbal agreement beyond Fleck's willingness to be on the show if he doesn't have a previous commitment or personal matter to take care of. And furthermore, he is probably already bored with eating at Murray's.

Let it be, let it be, let be.

Of all the things PJ has to do each day even on his weekend, an appearance at Sports Huddle can take a back seat every once in a while especially when personal or relaxation time is involved.

Even super humans need re-charging.

Yeah pretty sure there is no contract. He just agreed to come on when he can.

The guy is everywhere recruiting and promoting the program and school. I get some don't like his personality or how he does things, but it's ridiculous IMO to act like he's not constantly doing many of the things you're questioning.

Folks, he is not beholden to Gopherhole. Relax. Drink the Koolaide, and enjpy the magic carpet ride.

PJ has to make a decision - go on the Sports Huddle or pay for his own Murray's steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for the heck of it, I tried to find the details of Fleck's contract dealing with media appearances. All I could find is a general description of the clause dealing with "Supplemental compensation" that mentions media appearances including radio and television programs.

I thought - but I could be wrong - that the "Gopher Football Weekly" program (the one that airs at Noon on Tuesdays during the season) was the "Official" coaches show. I just don't know how the Sports Huddle gig and the TV show on channel 9 figure into his contract - if that is considered part of the supplemental compensation or not.

Again, some of this goes back to the days when WCCO had the radio rights to the Gophers. The Gopher FB coach would do the 9:30-10:00 segment during the season. During hoops season, the Men's basketball coach did the 9:30 slot, and during baseball season, the Twins manager did the 9:30 slot. That is when CCO held the rights for the Gophers and Twins.

These days, 'CCO does not have the rights to Gopher Football, but the Coach has continued to appear on the Sports Huddle. I believe it was Kill who started doing a weekly segment year-round, instead of just during the season. Claeys kept that going.

so, as far as I know, Fleck is under no obligation to do the Sports Huddle. He did tell Sid a couple of weeks ago that he would be appearing every week. We'll see how that goes.

Ironically, 'CCO has the rights to the Twins back starting this year, but the Twins are not doing an official Manager's show on the Radio Network.

npa5yMn.gif

It could just as easily be WCCO "stringing us along" that PJ is involved, and not revealing until the last minute that he isn't going to be on. Thanks SON for taking the time to be ready to listen for us.

It could just as easily be WCCO "stringing us along" that PJ is involved, and not revealing until the last minute that he isn't going to be on. Thanks SON for taking the time to be ready to listen for us.

That's what I was thinking. It would be nice if CCO could figure it out ahead of time and if PJ isn't available, maybe see if an assistant will come on. This also could have been a perfect time to have Coyle on to explain the new athlete's center (and how it was funded).

It would be good exposure for the Gophers to have someone on every week, even if it's not PJ.

That's what I was thinking. It would be nice if CCO could figure it out ahead of time and if PJ isn't available, maybe see if an assistant will come on. This also could have been a perfect time to have Coyle on to explain the new athlete's center (and how it was funded).

It would be good exposure for the Gophers to have someone on every week, even if it's not PJ.

You would think the marketing department could figure that out and get a speaker lined up every week.

You would think the marketing department could figure that out and get a speaker lined up every week.

Marketing has nothing to do with it. Fleck flat out does not want to do the show and could care less about finding a substitute like previous staffs did. The feeling might be mutual between CCO and Fleck. Won't be long and he will not be on at all. Coyle gets no reception in his cave so he won't be on.

It sounds like Ground Hog Day at times.

First, I highly doubt he's "forgetting". He's probably prioritizing something else ahead of this. It could be 'CCO doesn't get the message to Mona until show time.

Also, you're assuming 'CCO would be OK with an assistant. They might say they won't carve out time unless it's the head coach.

Or it may be a compensation thing with the assistants they can't do or don't want to deal with the ramifications of doing.

I agree it's a little surprising and disappointing they say there's going to be a segment that routinely gets canceled, but it may legitimately be out of PJF's hands.

Although I'll admit it is a little odd that he can't at least call in on a Sunday morning (is he really at a recruit's house at that time?), but I have no idea what he's doing. But then I'm assuming they're OK with him calling from the road, which they may not be.

Marketing has nothing to do with it. Fleck flat out does not want to do the show and could care less about finding a substitute like previous staffs did. The feeling might be mutual between CCO and Fleck. Won't be long and he will not be on at all. Coyle gets no reception in his cave so he won't be on.

That's not very good HOW, nor is he growing in all 4 areas (socially) by not being on the show.

I like the way you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom