MSU likely to be new #1 this week

book

Reaction score
Hope Amir and McBray can play --- so we have a chance against them!

So you're telling me there's a chance. Seriously, folks, this would make my entire life up to this point worthwhile.

Hope Amir and McBray can play --- so we have a chance against them!

MSU will not be the new #1.

Villanova and Virginia losing once won't knock them down. At best they could move up to #2, but I doubt it. More likely they and Purdue will just switch places.

Villanova (albeit shorthanded) lost at home to a team that previously was 0-11 in its conference.

Virginia lost at home to a bubble team.

Michigan State won both its games, including over the #3 team in the country, and has won 8 straight games.

It's certainly possible MSU lands at #2, but to definitively say they won't be #1 is a bit of a stretch.

MSU would be a terrible injustice, they have 2 top 50 wins !

MSU would be a terrible injustice, they have 2 top 50 wins !

Yes, if the AP voters follow the lead of the committee, Michigan State will not be #1. It will be interesting today because we'll find out if that's what the voters do, stick with their prior opinions, or follow the committee like sheep. I tend to agree with you, MSU shouldn't be #1, but if the voters stick to their guns of how they usually do things (this team won so they should move up, this team ahead of them lost, so they should move down) it makes sense MSU would be #1, especially given who and where (at home) Villanova & Virginia lost to.

AP & Coaches polls just came out

AP
1. Virginia
2. Michigan State
3. Villanova

Coaches
1. Michigan State
2. Villanova
3. Virginia

UVa chokes a 5 point lead in OT and gets rewarded with their first #1 in 35 years?

"Rewarded", well what do you really get with the #1 Ranking? No banners. No impact on seeding or conference standings. All you get is the chance to see a #1 by your name on TV & highlights are quicker on SportsCenter and the like, but you also get the added incentive of teams to knock you off, storm the court and chant "Overrated!".

Whoopdeedarndoo.

"Rewarded", well what do you really get with the #1 Ranking? No banners. No impact on seeding or conference standings. All you get is the chance to see a #1 by your name on TV & highlights are quicker on SportsCenter and the like, but you also get the added incentive of teams to knock you off, storm the court and chant "Overrated!".

Whoopdeedarndoo.

Easy for us to say.

AP
1. Virginia
2. Michigan State
3. Villanova

Coaches
1. Michigan State
2. Villanova
3. Virginia

Well, I was half wrong. What do the coaches know anyway, lol. And lot of good being #1 in the coaches poll did for the Gopher Softball team last year, and that was going into Selection Day, too.

But, if somehow we pull off a win vs them, then great for us. Should we storm the court? lol I hope not. How many will we have able to play? 7? 6? 5? Maybe we should try that 4 guy thing Bama had to do against us, it worked pretty well for them, lol.

Well, I was half wrong. What do the coaches know anyway, lol. And lot of good being #1 in the coaches poll did for the Gopher Softball team last year, and that was going into Selection Day, too.

But, if somehow we pull off a win vs them, then great for us. Should we storm the court? lol I hope not. How many will we have able to play? 7? 6? 5? Maybe we should try that 4 guy thing Bama had to do against us, it worked pretty well for them, lol.

If we lose by less than 35, the team should carry Richard off on their shoulders to a standing ovation, IMO.

UVa chokes a 5 point lead in OT and gets rewarded with their first #1 in 35 years?

It is about the full body of work. 4-0 against the top 25, 8-1 against the top 50, 7-1 on the road. Winning at Duke, MSU has 2 top 50 wins, that is it. Lost to Duke and it was not at Duke. That is why they are on the 3 seed line. As a side note : over the last 5 years UVA is a full 10 games better than Duke and UNC in the ACC, 15 over Louisville and 20 over Cuse and ND. Fyi, it does not do much but the 2019 class is pretty taken by the winning just like the 2016 class was by the 2014 team. Great model on what could be built here. We would build statues over that.

It is about the full body of work. 4-0 against the top 25, 8-1 against the top 50, 7-1 on the road. Winning at Duke, MSU has 2 top 50 wins, that is it. Lost to Duke and it was not at Duke. That is why they are on the 3 seed line. As a side note : over the last 5 years UVA is a full 10 games better than Duke and UNC in the ACC, 15 over Louisville and 20 over Cuse and ND. Fyi, it does not do much but the 2019 class is pretty taken by the winning just like the 2016 class was by the 2014 team. Great model on what could be built here. We would build statues over that.

I haven't seen a ton of UVa games this year, but it feels like we've seen this movie before. Great D, not enough offense = early NCAA exit.

I haven't seen a ton of UVa games this year, but it feels like we've seen this movie before. Great D, not enough offense = early NCAA exit.

Exactly, and it's BORING bb to watch, too, but he's definitely a die hard fan of it???

Exactly, and it's BORING bb to watch, too, but he's definitely a die hard fan of it???
I love Bennett ball. Great defense punctuated by fundamentally sound offense. Watching Bennett's teams play defense reminds me just how weak our team is and why we will perpetually be a bubble team.

Ask our coaches father the one team he loves watching is UVA. Go to YOUTUBE and search Pitino-UVA press conference. Listen closely. It really is a aquired taste. Coaches love it. Highly efficient offensive numbers, best defense in the country. Side note, 6-1 against Louisville. It is not for the fan who wants to see a ton of running, shots jacked up early in the shot clock and often poor shot selection in addition to matador defense. It is not about milking the clock. They use what amounts to 4 dribbles per possession more than a team that plays at UNC'S PACE. Where they slow you down is how they do not give you good looks on offense so yes, if you like to watch the ball and are not prone to watching screens, picks , ball security , help defense and winning it will not be for you. 4 straight years of winning at least a game in the tourney is not failure, only nine teams on that trail. Boring to me is sitting at Williams in my very expensive seats watching losing year after nearly every year. Winning a 3 rd of our conference games is boring. Being inefficient on offense and mediocre on defense is boring. I go to UVA a few times a year to see great basketball and continue to go to games at UW, UM and my alma, UCLA. Basketball junkie for life. MY clients for 40 years have been coaches and they think UVA is tremendous basketball. To each their own. Heck some people like watching AAU.

Took longer than I thought it would but builtbadgers on his way to turning this thread and another into a Tony Bennett shrine.

Took longer than I thought it would but builtbadgers on his way to turning this thread and another into a Tony Bennett shrine.

Tough to argue with his comments in the above post.

Hard to be #1 for long when the Gophers destroy you.

Ask our coaches father the one team he loves watching is UVA. Go to YOUTUBE and search Pitino-UVA press conference. Listen closely. It really is a aquired taste. Coaches love it. Highly efficient offensive numbers, best defense in the country. Side note, 6-1 against Louisville. It is not for the fan who wants to see a ton of running, shots jacked up early in the shot clock and often poor shot selection in addition to matador defense. It is not about milking the clock. They use what amounts to 4 dribbles per possession more than a team that plays at UNC'S PACE. Where they slow you down is how they do not give you good looks on offense so yes, if you like to watch the ball and are not prone to watching screens, picks , ball security , help defense and winning it will not be for you. 4 straight years of winning at least a game in the tourney is not failure, only nine teams on that trail. Boring to me is sitting at Williams in my very expensive seats watching losing year after nearly every year. Winning a 3 rd of our conference games is boring. Being inefficient on offense and mediocre on defense is boring. I go to UVA a few times a year to see great basketball and continue to go to games at UW, UM and my alma, UCLA. Basketball junkie for life. MY clients for 40 years have been coaches and they think UVA is tremendous basketball. To each their own. Heck some people like watching AAU.

First of all 5.4 million dollar issue that would need to be addressed. 2nd, is you speak as if Bennett or his closest disciples are just out there in the market, just waiting for a program like Minnesota, located up in the frozen tundra to ask them to come help them out, lol. 3rd, you forget that besides his 5.4 mil dollar buy out, our young Mr Pitino has a nice crew of players that HE is responsible for recruiting to this University, that probably wouldn't all return if he was fired. If he his fired, some school, several schools will be fighting for him and will take 2+ players with him if he goes. Oh, and did I forget to mention that he is last year's B1G COY???

Finally, most Gopher fans, honestly, deep down in their hearts, would rather go 11-7 every year than 13-5, if 11-7 meant exciting basketball, and 13-5 meant boring ash defensive 60 pt games that everyone poked fun of.

And seeing as Bennett ball has YET to produce a Natl Champion, and what? just one or two FFs, in how many years or trying?

I'd say the majority, not all of course, but the majority of Gopher fans would go with the guy who wins fewer Conf Titles, but has more potential to win a Natl Title.

First of all 5.4 million dollar issue that would need to be addressed. 2nd, is you speak as if Bennett or his closest disciples are just out there in the market, just waiting for a program like Minnesota, located up in the frozen tundra to ask them to come help them out, lol. 3rd, you forget that besides his 5.4 mil dollar buy out, our young Mr Pitino has a nice crew of players that HE is responsible for recruiting to this University, that probably wouldn't all return if he was fired. If he his fired, some school, several schools will be fighting for him and will take 2+ players with him if he goes. Oh, and did I forget to mention that he is last year's B1G COY???

Finally, most Gopher fans, honestly, deep down in their hearts, would rather go 11-7 every year than 13-5, if 11-7 meant exciting basketball, and 13-5 meant boring ash defensive 60 pt games that everyone poked fun of.

And seeing as Bennett ball has YET to produce a Natl Champion, and what? just one or two FFs, in how many years or trying?

I'd say the majority, not all of course, but the majority of Gopher fans would go with the guy who wins fewer Conf Titles, but has more potential to win a Natl Title.[/QUO
Now everyone will laugh at you for that foolish suggestion that they would rather go 11-7 every year instead of 13-5. How about going 11-7 more than once every 5 years. No one thinks Richard has a better chance at a final 4 or NCAA title then Bennett . Not even Pitino's father believes that.

I'd say the majority, not all of course, but the majority of Gopher fans would go with the guy who wins fewer Conf Titles, but has more potential to win a Natl Title.

1. I don't think he was implying that Bennett would come here.

2. I don't believe any players would leave if Pitino were fired. Maybe Washington or Harris, but I also think there is a possibility that either one may transfer anyways. I think the 2018 recruiting class would stay intact. They're all MN guys, and Oturu has made it pretty clear that he wants to play here because staying home is important to him.

3. I'd take 13-5 over 11-7 even if the 13-5 team was the most boring ever to watch. It's sports, the goal is to win.

4. I don't understand the logic at all that any coach is more likely to win a national title than a conference title. That doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom