CBS: Coaches on the hot seat (Tubby Smith, Tom Izzo)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

MEMPHIS
Coach: Tubby Smith

I don't expect a change the Bluff City, but the 14-10 Tigers just lost to East Carolina on Saturday, then fell by 20 against Wichita State on Tuesday night. ECU was ranked 315th at KenPom heading into that game. It marked a new low in Smith's tenure with the Tigers. If Memphis continues to crater, then a job change could be in order, but he is only in year two. I think it's more likely than not that Smith is back for 2018-19. It's hard to overstate just how frustrated the fan base is, though. Recruiting has sagged and positive morale has faded.

MICHIGAN ST.
Coach: Tom Izzo

This marks the first time in Izzo's career that he could be included on a list like this, and it's obviously got nothing to do with on-court performance. Let me be clear: Tom Izzo will not resign or be fired from his post unless truly incriminating information is revealed in the coming weeks or months. Izzo's job security has been brought up because of revealing details, and still-unanswered questions by Izzo, about how his program and athletic department handled accusations of sexual and physical assault against his players in the past. All of this is tied to an ESPN report. Some have called for Izzo to step down. He's stated he will not be doing so, and has repeatedly said he's always cooperated with every investigation into his program. If all that has been published winds up being all that gets attached to Izzo -- if no other information is released -- then it's highly unlikely any change is coming. That said, it would be wrong to not include him on a list such as this given the current climate and the queue of questions still hovering in the air, waiting to be answered by Izzo.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...t-seat-who-has-work-to-do-to-keep-their-jobs/

Go Gophers!!

Tubby had a nice thing going at TT. He should’ve never left with the expectations at Memphis.

Tubby had a nice thing going at TT. He should’ve never left with the expectations at Memphis.

It's the pattern repeating. His success and Tulsa and Georgia got him the opportunity at Kentucky, where he failed to meet most fans' expectations. Now his success at TT gets him the opportunity at another pressure cooker, where it's not working out.

Plus it is easier to slip into a 7-11 seed in the big 12 than in the American.
Maybe easier to be top 20 at Memphis but hard to get a ton of resume wins and easily to get resume killers.

Btw, guess who DIDN'T make this list???

Pitino!

Hate to break it to you, but Minnesota has become so unimportant that nobody in the national media pays attention anymore.

It sickens me that Izzo is not talking about anything and that the media is not on him more. The media was all over the gopher football and basketball programs. Izzo is not even responding to the Appling/Payne situation. It hasn't been uncovered, but I would like to know whether there is any correlation between the Payne situation and Payne befriending sick children and then having a "journey" episode all about it when Payne was a senior. Smells like one of many cover-ups. At least the Gophers followed the university procedures and did not hide from it like MSU is.

Hate to break it to you, but Minnesota has become so unimportant that nobody in the national media pays attention anymore.

And yet you think we should fire our last year's B1G Coach of the Year? Because we have "become so unimportant that nobody in the national media pays attention anymore" and hence should be able to find and hire a home run coach guaranteed to be better than Pitino and worth the 5.4 mil buyout?????????

lol

How do you think we had to settle for Pitino in the first place?

It sickens me that Izzo is not talking about anything and that the media is not on him more. The media was all over the gopher football and basketball programs. Izzo is not even responding to the Appling/Payne situation. It hasn't been uncovered, but I would like to know whether there is any correlation between the Payne situation and Payne befriending sick children and then having a "journey" episode all about it when Payne was a senior. Smells like one of many cover-ups. At least the Gophers followed the university procedures and did not hide from it like MSU is.

And you are right, more light should be shone on Izzo. My guess? With MSU having such a good year, the money people are trying to keep that light off of him as much as possible? Which is sickening.

Top Bottom