B1G Game 12: Gophers Host Penn State (2-11-18)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Penn State (5-7) arrives at Williams Arena following a 80-76 defeat in Iowa City. Similar to Sunday’s Gopher loss to the Hawkeyes, Penn State fell behind early before staging a late comeback pressuring Iowa to the final buzzer. The Lady Lions, trailing 58-40 mid-way through the third quarter, rallied to a 75-73 deficit with 3:00 minutes to play. From there, Gustafson and Coley managed to hold off Penn State for the win. Iowa’s posts troubled Penn State all night. Gustafson finished with 33 points and Coley with a career high 24 points. For Penn State, as usual, the action was at the guard position with Teniya Page netting 23 points and Amari Carter 16.

Earlier in the season, Minnesota handed the Lady Lions their worst B1G home loss 91-71. The Gophers charged to a 48-31 half time lead and coasted home with the win. Wagner lead the scoring with 23, Pitts scored 16 and grabbed 9 rebounds and Hubbard 12 points. Of note: Taiye Bello, in 12 minutes, had 8 points and 8 rebounds. For Penn State, the leaders were Page with 21 and Carter with 13.

Penn State has had its moments in B1G games. The Lady Lions have three good shooting guards. The Gophers have four. That's likely the difference.

B1G Wins: Indiana 77-74, @ Wisconsin 69-62, Rutgers 70-67, Illinois 68-59, and Michigan State 74-59.

B1G Losses: @ Michigan 69-89, @ Maryland 65-69, @ Rutgers 65-70, Minnesota 71-91, @ Purdue 73-88, @ Ohio State 64-94 and @ Iowa 76-80.

B1G Stats:

Offense

2. Minnesota 80.6
6. Penn State 70.1

Defense

11. Minnesota 75.0
12. Penn State 75.2

Three Point %

4. Minnesota 95-246 (.386)
6. Penn State 78-220 (.355)

Steals

1. Bell 3.2
2. Carter 2.9

Scoring

5. Bell 19.2
6. Page 18.6
11. Wagner 16.1
15. Carter 15.2
19. Pitts 14.2
21 Travascio-Green 13.2
24. Hubbard 12.1

Starters

6’3” F Jr. Jaylen Williams
6’2” F So. De’Janae Boykin
5’8” G So. Amari Carter
5’7” G Jr. Teniya Page
6’2” G So. Jaida Travascio-Green

Others

6’3” F Fr. Alisia Smith
5’9” G So. Siyeh Frazier
5’10” G Fr. Kamaria McDaniel

First 1,000 fans get a pink scarf in honor of breast cancer awareness. So, dress in pink!! And, sounds like the team is making a special donation to the cause as well, pre-game.

First 1,000 fans get a pink scarf in honor of breast cancer awareness. So, dress in pink!! And, sounds like the team is making a special donation to the cause as well, pre-game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10-2 Gophers out of the gate

Hubbard with 8 pts

33-18 MIN end of Q1

The team is looking really good today. Ball movement. Even the defense is looking sharp.

33infirst609.jpg

Gophers score 33 in first. BTN shows #33 between quarters.

Carlie on the bench with 2 fouls.

eCMcVu2.jpg

55-26 MIN at the half

Did Brunson play the entire 2nd quarter? Kaposi was out there a lot too. Trying to find a working box score. :confused:

Did Brunson play the entire 2nd quarter? Kaposi was out there a lot too. Trying to find a working box score. :confused:

Wagner had 2 fouls in the first quarter. Not sure about the others since I can't find live stats that work for me.

Wagner had 2 fouls in the first quarter. Not sure about the others since I can't find live stats that work for me.

Hope they save some of these baskets for Wednesday. They have a great opportunity to get a signature win.

It's awesome that Perez's three put the gophers over the century mark.

101-68 MIN final

obviously very pleased with the performance today. But man did Penn State lack energy. Felt like the ladies were two or three steps ahead from the start.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

PSU is surprisingly awful but it was fun to see the Gophers put the hammer down early and not let up. I'm feeling better about Minnesota's chances against a seemingly-lagging Michigan. They win that game (and take care of Indiana and Illinois business) and I think they're in the tournament.

Nice team win for the Gophers. It was nice to see so many people play and contribute. Hubbard got the team off to a great start before getting in foul trouble that put her on the bench for the second quarter. But she finished 10 of 13 from the field. Pitts with some inside hoops to go with some threes and 7 boards. Gophers defense has definitely improved since the start of the season. PSU a team without any seniors and without natural leaders and it showed today. Both teams' foul trouble in the first half may have hurt the Nittany Lions more than it hurt the Gophers. Wagner with only 4 of 13 from the floor but 7 rebounds. Hopefully, she saved some of her hot shooting for Michigan. The Wolverines come to Minneapolis reeling, but given the magnitude of this game for both teams, I'm hoping the Gophers approach this game with some urgency. It has NCAA tourney ramifications and also BIG tourney seeding ramifications which could mean the difference between a double bye and a single bye.

Judging by the general mood on the bench this afternoon, I'm assuming hard work paid off-the plan worked. The Gophers extended zone disrupted the Lady Lions and Minnesota seemed to have a solid plan for disrupting Teniya Page. They overplayed Page and forced her into double teams (I wonder if they will try the same D with Flaherty?). As far as PSU lacking energy, I think Minnesota zapped it out of them. Particularly, the Gophers really drew down Travascio-Green's energy level with the constant attacking. That helped remove a three point threat. All in all, a great set-up for the Michigan game and remainder of the conference schedule.

Of Note: Taiye Bello fouled out in 9 minutes of play. 3 minutes more than Edwards took last week; but much quicker than either Harper and Campbell as we previously discussed.

I'll take 13-23 from three and 53 rebounds any day.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded):

29 Bell
28 Pitts
25 Wagner
25 Hubbard

25 Brunson
22 Edwards
14 Kaposi
9 Taiye Bello
8 Fernstrom
7 Lamke
4 Kahinde Bello
4 Garrido-Perez

Great to see the bench play a few minutes especially Brunson so good to see her again! I have been critical of this team in the past, tonight need to say great job. Seem to be playing with more confidence bodes well moving forward. It’s all in front of you ladies now go and get it!

Really nice performances today by the Gophers. The PINK game is always a special day. And, we had Aubrey King back on the bench today to cheer us on. Hope she is doing well in her health struggles.

Top Bottom