No rest for Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck - TwinCities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
www.twincities.com/2018/02/07/gophe...press-on-with-2018-recruiting-class-complete/

Minnesota’s football coach finished an early afternoon meeting with general manager Gerrit Chernoff and ate a couple bites of tacos as he talked with the Pioneer Press for 25 minutes in his new corner office at the Larson Football Performance Center. Then he had another phone interview at the bottom of the hour.

“I woke up this morning and I said, ‘Is it signing day? Oh, it’s signing day,’ ” Fleck said. “It was kind of a joke, and there was a lot of sarcasm involved in that joke, but it was odd waking up (Wednesday) morning and there was no pressure. There is no stress of who is signing, who are the boosters coming and what are we doing and where am I speaking?”

The Gophers signed a 25-member recruiting class during the new early signing period in December and were then able to get a jump-start on their 2019 class. Minnesota’s class ranked 35th in the nation and seventh in the Big Ten on Wednesday night, according to the 247sports.com composite order. The U also announced the addition of eight preferred walk-ons for 2018 on Wednesday — including new quarterback Vic Viramontes, who has exceeded expectations since arriving on campus a few weeks ago.

“It’s been incredibly beneficial for our program,” Fleck said of the early signing window. “I think everyone has had their own way of doing it, and now I think everyone has their own way of what they are going to do in the future because of what happened this year. There are probably people that love it, and there are probably some people that hate it just like any rule or new implementation of a new process.”

www.twincities.com/2018/02/07/gophe...press-on-with-2018-recruiting-class-complete/

Minnesota’s football coach finished an early afternoon meeting with general manager Gerrit Chernoff and ate a couple bites of tacos as he talked with the Pioneer Press for 25 minutes in his new corner office at the Larson Football Performance Center. Then he had another phone interview at the bottom of the hour.

“I woke up this morning and I said, ‘Is it signing day? Oh, it’s signing day,’ ” Fleck said. “It was kind of a joke, and there was a lot of sarcasm involved in that joke, but it was odd waking up (Wednesday) morning and there was no pressure. There is no stress of who is signing, who are the boosters coming and what are we doing and where am I speaking?”

The Gophers signed a 25-member recruiting class during the new early signing period in December and were then able to get a jump-start on their 2019 class. Minnesota’s class ranked 35th in the nation and seventh in the Big Ten on Wednesday night, according to the 247sports.com composite order. The U also announced the addition of eight preferred walk-ons for 2018 on Wednesday — including new quarterback Vic Viramontes, who has exceeded expectations since arriving on campus a few weeks ago.

“It’s been incredibly beneficial for our program,” Fleck said of the early signing window. “I think everyone has had their own way of doing it, and now I think everyone has their own way of what they are going to do in the future because of what happened this year. There are probably people that love it, and there are probably some people that hate it just like any rule or new implementation of a new process.”

Vic's a preferred walk-on???

"Recruiting is 80% of success in college football" - Glen Mason

Top Bottom