Sid: Jerry Kill said he made a huge mistake when he left Associate AD job at K-State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Former Gophers football coach Jerry Kill said he made a huge mistake when he left his associate athletic director job at Kansas State to become offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Rutgers last season. Now he is at Southern Illinois, where he was head football coach from 2001-07, and he will work as a fundraiser and in other roles. He said he is happy again.

http://www.startribune.com/randy-mo...e-helped-him-get-hall-of-fame-call/473254823/

Go Gophers!!

In hindsight, he should have stay put.

But, what we know about Jerry Kill is he is passionate about coaching and thought he could handle being an offensive coordinator. He would have left any job at that point for coaching.

The realization set in about the toll on his health and quality of life if he continues to pursue coaching. IMHO, his new gig at SIU is a good deal for him being close to his place on the lake and to family and friends.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's in his blood, it's who he is. he just wants to help the kids turn into men.

He felt good at KSU so he decided to give coaching one more shot. When he took that hit on the sidelines, the ensuing troubles told that finally, he had enough.

Good luck to him.

It was such a strange hire... I love jerry, but nothing about that hire made sense.

He felt good at KSU so he decided to give coaching one more shot. When he took that hit on the sidelines, the ensuing troubles told that finally, he had enough.

Good luck to him.

I hope you're right - but we have said that before with Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I please get updates on other former coaches life reflections?

Jerry is an inspiration, but he's got some mental issues as well

Funny, the job at SIU is similar to what was offered to him at the U. Of course leaving a made-up plumb job at KSU was a major mistake. What was his duties at KSU? It looked like an on field cheerleader and football buddy were his major responsibilities.

Any job that isn't head coach will make Jerry think he made a mistake. I wonder if he should seek counseling at this point.

First: A guy who feels so strongly the need to validate his meaningless opinions that he posts to total strangers in a virtual social environment (yes, that's all why we're here deep down) is casting aspersions on mental issues? Irony-laden.

Second: What a strange thing to say. Wanting to keep pursuing something you love (coaching) despite a health issue is a "mental problem," now? If he had autism, cancer, was sexually harassed or any number of other issues, he'd be lauded as a courageous hero. We've now reached the point where we're saying he's literally insane for refusing to be relegated to house arrest just so he doesn't offend some some internet troll or hack-journalist with a seizure?

Oh, the hysteria that follows every time Jerry Kill gets interviewed by a local media member.

First: A guy who feels so strongly the need to validate his meaningless opinions that he posts to total strangers in a virtual social environment (yes, that's all why we're here deep down) is casting aspersions on mental issues? Irony-laden.

Second: What a strange thing to say. Wanting to keep pursuing something you love (coaching) despite a health issue is a "mental problem," now? If he had autism, cancer, was sexually harassed or any number of other issues, he'd be lauded as a courageous hero. We've now reached the point where we're saying he's literally insane for refusing to be relegated to house arrest just so he doesn't offend some some internet troll or hack-journalist with a seizure?

Oh, the hysteria that follows every time Jerry Kill gets interviewed by a local media member.

Sounds as tho you have some of those same issues JK has. There's help out there, dude.

I'll throw out another possibility. JK made a huge mistake when he left Minnesota... he didn't have to, the University was willing to work with him...

Leaving a retirement job in your home state to be an OC at Rutgers with his stress induced health history may indicate an issue, especially after repeated failures to follow protocal in the past.

I'll throw out another possibility. JK made a huge mistake when he left Minnesota... he didn't have to, the University was willing to work with him...

The U was willing to work with Kill, but he had to relinquish his control and limit his contacts with the football program. He couldn't and his willingness to take that Rutgers job showed that he still had the desire to try it again.

The same relentlessness that pushed him up thru the college football ranks made accepting that his coaching days were over impossible for him to accept in 2015.

That last incident on the Rutgers sidelines probably ended it.

He was admired for his determination many, many times on here, but now that he's no longer the Gopher Head Coach, for many he needs to be attacked and degraded. It's been going on for quite awhile. See Mason. Haskins, Claeys, Tubby, Woog etc. When Pitino and Fleck are gone they'll be ripped by many here too. Lucia is getting it already.

For the simpleminded you're not supporting the current coach if you say something nice about the previous one.

The U was willing to work with Kill, but he had to relinquish his control and limit his contacts with the football program. He couldn't and his willingness to take that Rutgers job showed that he still had the desire to try it again.

The same relentlessness that pushed him up thru the college football ranks made accepting that his coaching days were over impossible for him to accept in 2015.

That last incident on the Rutgers sidelines probably ended it.

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm not talking about the administrative role, I'm talking about remaining HC.

The U said when Jerry told them he was going to quit, the U said he could remain HC, take a leave or whatever he wanted, but could still be the HC.... Jerry didn't want to do it while medicated and such and I get that... but he could have tried and still coached.

Maybe it wouldn't have worked out, but the alternative is now where he is just out, and the Rutgers thing even if he remained healthy was a bad fit.

I think we're talking about two different things. I'm not talking about the administrative role, I'm talking about remaining HC.

The U said when Jerry told them he was going to quit, the U said he could remain HC, take a leave or whatever he wanted, but could still be the HC.... Jerry didn't want to do it while medicated and such and I get that... but he could have tried and still coached.

Maybe it wouldn't have worked out, but the alternative is now where he is just out, and the Rutgers thing even if he remained healthy was a bad fit.

Misunderstood and yeah, that makes sense. Though always wondered how "actual" that offer was. After that last episode bet there was a huge sigh of relief from the Administration when he turned it down. Don't think they wanted to go through things again.

Misunderstood and yeah, that makes sense. Though always wondered how "actual" that offer was. After that last episode bet there was a huge sigh of relief from the Administration when he turned it down. Don't think they wanted to go through things again.

I really think they would have stuck with Jerry, maybe if only because they knew they weren't yet ready to or willing to buy someone better. Jerry built it, even if not 100%, I think they would have stuck it out with Jerry for quite a while. Outside of some media attention seeking folks, everyone seemed to support Jerry overall.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking at this quote and shaking my head. He is an inspiration and he has health issues, not mental issues. Give the guy a break.

Good post.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking at this quote and shaking my head. He is an inspiration and he has health issues, not mental issues. Give the guy a break.

BS. He has mental issues that prevent him from slowing down, and taking care of himself. I love the guy but he could use some help.

BS. He has mental issues that prevent him from slowing down, and taking care of himself. I love the guy but he could use some help.

Being a long suffering Gopher fan is a form of mental illness. We live with hope that someday our dreams will be realized to see the Phoenix rise from the ashes.

“Suffering and joy teach us, if we allow them, how to make the leap of empathy, which transports us into the soul and heart of another person. In those transparent moments we know other people’s joys and sorrows, and we care about their concerns as if they were our own.”
~Fritz Williams

I was invited to a Mount Olivet Men's club event at Mount Olivet Lutheran Church in SW Minneapolis in the August of 2015 and Coach Kill was the featured speaker.

He looked better than ever, and seemed very fit, relaxed and committed to following the program his doctors set up. I also saw him that summer walking with his wife all over the Minneapolis DT riverfront.

That was all a mirage, as he seems to be unable to not revert to his old coaching lifestyle and poor decision making as the football season drags on into the fall. The stress factor is probably the part he had more trouble controlling. The telling thing he admitted, for me at least, when he admitted not taking his medications during the 2015 season as he did not like the way they made him feel, in a coaching environment.

Many of us are like Jerry Kill, unable to change our patterns of behavior and stubborn to a fault as we get older. This is a tragedy, but at least he should have a good life moving forward.

For me there is some irony involved when thinking of Kill, as I thought that whole job he was trying to cook up at the U of M was redundant and silly. As it turns out, having Jerry Kill as a layer between Claeys/ the Football program and the administration probably would have saved Tracy Claeys in 2016, as Kaler and the others never would have been able to pull any of their tricks and BS off with Kill in the picture. Jerry Kill would have headed a lot of this off in a bulldog like way that TC was not ready for or incapable of.

Regarding the comments above,

Most highly driven people have these types of "mental" issues. Also most highly successful people are egomaniacs and workoholics, and tend to not retire quietly, but work until they die, even if they have no need for the money. Lou Holtz, Donald Trump, Curt Carlson, Carl Pohlad are examples of these types of people.

If they retire it is because others force them out.

He was admired for his determination many, many times on here, but now that he's no longer the Gopher Head Coach, for many he needs to be attacked and degraded. It's been going on for quite awhile. See Mason. Haskins, Claeys, Tubby, Woog etc. When Pitino and Fleck are gone they'll be ripped by many here too. Lucia is getting it already.

For the simpleminded you're not supporting the current coach if you say something nice about the previous one.

It may be too complex for the simpleminded, but haven’t you noticed that Feck and Pitino have already been ripped by many here on GH? The criticism for prior coaches is not directly related to them not being a current coach. It is more related to the differences that those fans have with the way the team was coached. Most of the coaches you mentioned were fired, so it is reasonable to assume that there would be some disagreement with the way they coached their teams at the end of their tenure at the U. The home crowds chanted “fire Woog” for his last couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may be too complex for the simpleminded, but haven’t you noticed that Feck and Pitino have already been ripped by many here on GH? The criticism for prior coaches is not directly related to them not being a current coach. It is more related to the differences that those fans have with the way the team was coached. Most of the coaches you mentioned were fired, so it is reasonable to assume that there would be some disagreement with the way they coached their teams at the end of their tenure at the U. The home crowds chanted “fire Woog” for his last couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Missed all the posts defending Fleck and Pitino then?

Like the others once they're gone the number of their defenders dwindle and the number of complainers gradually get larger. Even though they aren't coaching any more games.

Some encourage that behavior while loudly defending whoever the new guy and whining about any complaints. If things aren't going well they loudly promise how things are gonna be better in the future. They'll only allow praise for the new guy and try and vilify anybody who suggests otherwise and take every shot they can at the old coach. Until of course the new coach becomes the old one.

Pretty simple really.

Leaving a retirement job in your home state to be an OC at Rutgers with his stress induced health history may indicate an issue, especially after repeated failures to follow protocal in the past.

Where did you get your degree in psychology?

Being forced out of doing what you love, what you were born to do can’t be easy.

Making efforts to go back to that suggests he’s unhappy with not coaching and is willing to try to get back.

That this is being equates to mental illness is just....wow. Really?

It may be sad (which I think it is), and that these failures are high profile doesn’t help, and it appears he can’t do it anymore, but if he wants to try and finds someone willing to give him the chance, good luck to him.

Let me know where you got your degree in psychology/psychiatry. If I ever need help I’ll want to avoid graduates from that school.

Top Bottom