Marcus West in, Bryce Paup reportedly out as Gophers coaching changes continue

There is quite a study in contrast between old school Jerry Kill with coaching stability and the young high octane PJ Fleck's dynamism.

Both of them have successes in coaching and off the playing field. Both of them eschew developing young men to prepare them for life.

After PJ Fleck's first full year he already has three of his coaches depart.

Jerry Kill's coaching staff were loyal to him. Tracy Claeys was with him since 1995 at Saginaw Valley State. Matt Limegrover was with him in 1999 at Emporia State. So many of his coaches followed him to every stop.

We will never know how successful Jerry Kill would have been if he did not have his health issues. His recruiting style is different. The type of kids that he recruits where two and three stars except for two four stars Jeff Jones (2015) and Carter Coughlin (2016). He finds hidden gems and two/three star players and coach them up. But, I don't know that would have been enough to produce B1G West championships. He and Tracy Claeys came close.

I was hoping that once he starts winning, he will attract more high caliber three star and four star recruits.

The story of PJ Fleck is still being written. We know that he can recruit and is a strong deal closer. Sit back and relax. I think this rocket that we have is going to the stratosphere.

PJ Fleck just brought in the best ever recruiting class (Avg. 247 Sports Composite Score of 0.8617 after re-ratings) eclipsing Tim Brewster's 2009 class (Avg. 247 Sports Composite Score of 0.8603). Scott Frost just threw in a wrench into the fray.

View attachment 5380

IMHO, the Gophers must maintain an Average Composite Score of 0.8600 or higher to challenge the teams ahead of them (Wisconsin - 1st, Nebraska - 2nd, Iowa - 3rd, Northwestern - 4th), and to stave off Purdue - 6th.

View attachment 5381

There is no doubt that the Gophers' success hinges on PJ Fleck's ability to recruit. Coaching is important, but having the thoroughbred horses in the stable will make it easier.

Coaching History:
(See Gophersports History, Coaches, Jerry Kill http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-mtt-11-12.html#coaches, PJ Fleck http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/minn-m-footbl-mtt-2017.html#coaches).

If I recall, Jerry Kill fought for pay raises for his coaching staff successfully. Most of his assistant coaches have been with him. Does anybody know if PJ Fleck's coaching staff are being paid competitive salaries?

Ability to coach and develop up is underestimated in many cases. I believe Flecks salary pool was higher than previous years.

Ed made $375K with MN. He will make $250K with MI. He took a demotion in title and pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed made $375K with MN. He will make $250K with MI. He took a demotion in title and pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My GH speculative take on Warinner's move:

Warinner is an Ohio Valley guy who wants to be coaching somewhere in the region.

1. There must be a gentleman's agreement between PJF and Warinner about a short stint with the Gophers.
2. Accepting a job (albeit a demotion) gets him closer to his son at MSU, and his home in Powell OH is less than 3 hours away.
3. He is more interested in the B1G East. Either Harbaugh has something cooking behind the scenes down the road for him, or he is biting his his time for another job to open up. The price of admission is a position with a lot less pay, responsibility, and stress.

He'll pop up sooner or later. What is going to happen at MSU with all those scandals that make the Gophers sex scandal pale? Maybe someone is sniffing something is about to happen.

Top Bottom