Proud of this team

If you think the effort in the first half against Nebraska was acceptable, much less worthy of praise, I just can't respect your opinion on basketball. Someone started a thread during the week without a game asking what the they hoped the Gophers would work on/improve during that break. The majority of the responses had to do with improving the defense. Since that point, we've given up 90 plus points to Iowa and Nebraska in 2 of the 3 games played (not exactly MSU and Purdue).

Once again, in the 10 games since Lynch was suspended the Gophers are 1-9. They are 2-8 against the spread in that time and have lost as favorites (at HOME) according to Vegas and Ken Pom 3 times during that stretch. How can you rationally claim this team is doing something worthy of praise when presented with these facts? If they were merely doing what the current roster was expected to do, they would be a minimum of 4-6 during these past 10 games. Exactly how could the past 10 games have gone worse? The team is underachieving by virtually every tangible metric you could look at. I don't see how it's helpful to the program to accept, much less praise, what we've seen on the court the last 10 games or really all season when you consider some of the uninspired performances during December.

Perhaps you can enlighten all of us here. I for one would love to know what goes into the creation of a point spread, and a Ken Pom prediction. I consider myself extremely tuned into Gopher basketball, and would have bet the house against the Gophers straight up in each of the past six games.

This team has effectively been playing without a center for the past eight games. Vs Michigan it was a layup line when Murphy went out with foul trouble. If you put in BK in it's still a layup line, plus they get to the line in addition.

It's incredibly laughable to me that Vegas is putting the Gophers as favorites in any match-up, when the ordinary Gopher fan can see that we're obviously underdogs.

For all of your whining about the praise they're receiving, I don't think anybody on here is super excited about the results. Nobody likes watching them repeatedly lose, but at least the scores are closer than the 20-30 point blowouts they've received lately. Also, IW has played better, and Pitino has removed BK and GD from the equation. These are tangible things that we can point to to say, well heck, at least I can watch them play without wanting to vomit all over my living room. THAT is an improvement over the past few games. Which is the ONLY point of this thread. So yeah, count me among the fans who are mistaken in trying to find a SHRED of optimism in the most disappointing season ever. SOOOOO many on here just want to kick them while they're down, and it's pathetic.

So this thread is about ignoring some of the previous effort issues and being proud of the effort over the last two games. What if they effort is not there Friday against IU are we then to ignore that because the effort was there the prior two games?

Yes, you are free to be upset with bad effort it rears it's head on Friday. Happy?

Could you please describe what "on the rise" means to you?

Maybe I'm dense, but I have a hard time believing there are sane people who see a team at 3-10 in conference the year after going 11-7 in conference as "on the rise."

And if you are going to list all the excuses again that's not really going to cut it. People might say "a team fighting through a lot of adversity" or something like that, and it would be reasonable, but they wouldn't say we are "on the rise" because we aren't winning or even looking competitive at times. That wouldn't make sense. Or if you are going to cite the recruiting class for next year which is currently at a solid #33 in the country and #7 in the B1G on 247 then I might agree that there is potential for a turnaround, but I definitely wouldn't say "on the rise" without actually seeing those players participate in a college basketball game.

I do believe the program has risen from where it was over the past 20 years. Recruiting is better, and the results are better when the team is healthy. I'm optimistic for next season and beyond. I believe it would be a mistake to fire RP. I don't think he's our savior, but he's better than starting over.

Just a suggestion to avoid the “Jesus F’ing Christ” reference as it is quite offensive to many people. Plenty of other exclamations available out there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noted, and I'm sorry if I offended you, reminders are good.

I do not think last year was a fluke but it also did not include a lot of marquee national wins. What gets him a break would be every player always playing great defense. Back to that culture thing. You act like he is established as a top 25 coach and that simply is not the case.

I pretty much agree with this. As a counter I would say that we're at a major size disadvantage right now vs most teams, so that hurts us defensively. Effort and results aren't always the same thing, and it's extremely difficult to quantify effort.

No problem here, thanks for the apology. I realize when folks use that exclamation that they aren’t meaning to offend anyone. Just good to know that it can.

Just to stir the pot:

Let's say the Gophers looked better the last couple of games because Pitino made adjustments in the lineup and rotation. You can give Pitino credit for making the adjustments ----- But, you can also question why it took him that long to make the adjustments.

I think that's a fair question. It doesn't mean I think Pitino is a bad coach. Just suggesting that, sometimes, he seems a little slow to make adjustments when things are not working on the court. he is still relatively young as a coach, and has room to learn. But, it makes me wonder what the other coaches are saying to him in their meetings and on the bench. Is he not getting any advice - or is he getting advice and not listening to it?

Thoughts?

Just to stir the pot:

Let's say the Gophers looked better the last couple of games because Pitino made adjustments in the lineup and rotation. You can give Pitino credit for making the adjustments ----- But, you can also question why it took him that long to make the adjustments.

I think that's a fair question. It doesn't mean I think Pitino is a bad coach. Just suggesting that, sometimes, he seems a little slow to make adjustments when things are not working on the court. he is still relatively young as a coach, and has room to learn. But, it makes me wonder what the other coaches are saying to him in their meetings and on the bench. Is he not getting any advice - or is he getting advice and not listening to it?

Thoughts?

Part of this could be due to match-ups. Michigan is a smaller team, and he probably didn't feel it was necessary to play BK. If you're playing Purdue, you probably have to put BK on Haas.

There aren't a lot of good options right now. I was impressed that he adjusted where it was possible though.

I do believe the program has risen from where it was over the past 20 years. Recruiting is better, and the results are better when the team is healthy. I'm optimistic for next season and beyond. I believe it would be a mistake to fire RP. I don't think he's our savior, but he's better than starting over.

Great post. Not sure if it has risen over any 5 year period but do think starting over is a mistake . Unless of course we can hire a great coach and no one at the U has been able to do that in forever.

Deep sigh

I pretty much agree with this. As a counter I would say that we're at a major size disadvantage right now vs most teams, so that hurts us defensively. Effort and results aren't always the same thing, and it's extremely difficult to quantify effort.

Technique is not hard to grade. Taking away the strong hand is basic. Getting wide, taking the proper angle, helping and recovering. It is not just a effort thing. There is a beauty when it is done well but requires precision teaching and must be a non negotiable.

Just to stir the pot:

Thoughts?

I would say he is not listening to any advice offered. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't apologize to those people GopherHoopsFan. I mean, you are nice guy, so. But honestly, they are idiots who don't even know the real name of the "messiah" they supposedly follow, so why would their bs opinion matter? How have you honestly offended them? They offend their own God and then dare to scold you???

I wouldn't apologize to those people GopherHoopsFan. I mean, you are nice guy, so. But honestly, they are idiots who don't even know the real name of the "messiah" they supposedly follow, so why would their bs opinion matter? How have you honestly offended them? They offend their own God and then dare to scold you???

You are now in the business of determining that someone else is offending their own god ! Who are you to to put others down or judge . Fyi, Tubby got lucky to inherit great players at UK but he was not lucky in getting that job. He won that job. Who actually did better at Minnesota Tubby or Richard ?

All we can do is hang on for the ride. I hope the coaching staff has a good game plan for next year and beyond recruiting the players that will fit the system and the injury bug stays away

All we can do is hang on for the ride. I hope the coaching staff has a good game plan for next year and beyond recruiting the players that will fit the system and the injury bug stays away
The problem with this is that it we have been doing since Monson took over for Clem. I am tired of the Minnesota rally cry being "Wait until next year!"

This is year five. The only decent big man we have had is an accused rapist. We lucked out with a power forward who switched commitment as a school changed coaches. Our guards have be inconsistent, at best and three off them tweeted their personal intimate relations. The depth on this year's bench would have problems competing in the MIAC.

We're faced with throwing away a golden opportunity to start fresh with everything in this program if we settle for waiting for next year.

The problem with this is that it we have been doing since Monson took over for Clem. I am tired of the Minnesota rally cry being "Wait until next year!"

This is year five. The only decent big man we have had is an accused rapist. We lucked out with a power forward who switched commitment as a school changed coaches. Our guards have be inconsistent, at best and three off them tweeted their personal intimate relations. The depth on this year's bench would have problems competing in the MIAC.

We're faced with throwing away a golden opportunity to start fresh with everything in this program if we settle for waiting for next year.

If feel like we are snake bitten. Seems we take 5 steps forward and 10 steps back. The recruiting class coming in next year is promising. Hope we can attract a few seasoned JC transfers to create more depth.

I didn't see the Indiana game. (I was at a HS Basketball game).

Since this thread has been largely about giving the Gophers credit for their effort, how was the effort against Indiana?

I didn't see the Indiana game. (I was at a HS Basketball game).

Since this thread has been largely about giving the Gophers credit for their effort, how was the effort against Indiana?

I'd give it a C. Murph and Mason appeared to give up with about 10 minutes left. Konate forgot to hustle back on D a couple times but it's Konate. The rest of the squad put in an effort, but they just sucked.

I think half the reason posters are turning on Pitino is the poor play of the Gophers and the other half is that Pitino's principle defender on here makes Lavar Ball seem like an intellectual giant.

The staff still should still get credit for being on his short list to begin with. It's not like he wasn't recruited prior to that or anything.

The staff still should still get credit for being on his short list to begin with. It's not like he wasn't recruited prior to that or anything.
I kind of agree with your assessment, but it feels like the exception not the rule. I keep thinking "even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

I kind of agree with your assessment, but it feels like the exception not the rule. I keep thinking "even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

I think recruiting has been pretty solid overall. Obviously taking two projects at the same position like Konate and Gaston was a big mistake. What's hurt depth the most besides injuries and suspensions is taking on so many transfers. One here and there is fine if it's a good player but I'd rather have 13 scholarship guys available going into the season most of the time if you can.

Guys like Hurt, Harris, and Fitzgerald wouldn't be playing much more than 5 minutes each if we were healthy.

I think recruiting has been pretty solid overall. Obviously taking two projects at the same position like Konate and Gaston was a big mistake. What's hurt depth the most besides injuries and suspensions is taking on so many transfers. One here and there is fine if it's a good player but I'd rather have 13 scholarship guys available going into the season most of the time if you can.

Guys like Hurt, Harris, and Fitzgerald wouldn't be playing much more than 5 minutes each if we were healthy.

Doesn't the fact that when Hurt and Fitzgerald have to play more than 5 minutes, they contribute almost nothing run counter to the 'recruiting has been solid' argument?

Maybe I put too much weight on last year but it was fun following a top 4 big ten team with coach and players getting individual awards at the end of the season. How can we assume last year was a mirage? I've watched too many bad gophers teams to not at least see if last year can be built upon given a healthy team.

If we knew for sure that a new coach would elevate us more then that would be different, but there are no guarantees. I was a big fan of Tubby the first couple years but changed my mind as starters transferred and recruiting slipped. If next season is a disaster no doubt my mind will be changed again and I hope I'm the first to admit it, but at this point think there is plenty of reason for optimism and want to see where it goes.

Maybe I put too much weight on last year but it was fun following a top 4 big ten team with coach and players getting individual awards at the end of the season. How can we assume last year was a mirage? I've watched too many bad gophers teams to not at least see if last year can be built upon given a healthy team.

If we knew for sure that a new coach would elevate us more then that would be different, but there are no guarantees. I was a big fan of Tubby the first couple years but changed my mind as starters transferred and recruiting slipped. If next season is a disaster no doubt my mind will be changed again and I hope I'm the first to admit it, but at this point think there is plenty of reason for optimism and want to see where it goes.

This is a very lucid and logical take on this season. I think everyone is frustrated, but if you take a deep breath and look at the big picture of where this team could have ended up if not for the mass exodus...we likely are a tourney team this year. Were we a top 15 team in the country? Perhaps not but neither were we last year and i'd take last year every single season if I could.

Doesn't the fact that when Hurt and Fitzgerald have to play more than 5 minutes, they contribute almost nothing run counter to the 'recruiting has been solid' argument?

Not really. Even the best coaches in America will recruit guys who end up being non-contributors.

Top Bottom