Proud of this team

jmag21

Reaction score
Pitino is right. No team could withstand the injuries and suspensions to four of their top six players. But his team competed hard tonight and had a shot to take out a good Nebraska team who was shooting the lights out. I was actually encouraged by this one. Stinks that we’re down to moral victories in a year with such high expectations but it is what it is. Next year I expect a nice bounce back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. They keep battling and the players on the floor are all seeing improvement.

They NEVER GIVE UP. Gotta love their attitude. Pitino somehow has figured out how to keep them fighting.

Agree 100%. The last couple of games have been a joy to watch. Great effort and as good a result as can be expected from this bunch. I’m already really looking forward to next season.

Are you prouder of giving up 94 points at home or losing as favorites at home? The Gophers did both tonight. That's now 3 losses as home favorites since Lynch went down. Then you have the historic loss to Purdue, then you have the embarrassing loss at Iowa, then you have the 50-20 run Ohio State went on in the Garden, then you have the game where they flat out quit at Nebraska. They are 1-9 since Lynch was suspended and they are 2-8 against the spread in those 10 games. If this is a team that "fights" and "never quits" they are fooling a lot of people.

Are you prouder of giving up 94 points at home or losing as favorites at home? The Gophers did both tonight. That's now 3 losses as home favorites since Lynch went down. Then you have the historic loss to Purdue, then you have the embarrassing loss at Iowa, then you have the 50-20 run Ohio State went on in the Garden, then you have the game where they flat out quit at Nebraska. They are 1-9 since Lynch was suspended and they are 2-8 against the spread in those 10 games. If this is a team that "fights" and "never quits" they are fooling a lot of people.

Who gives a sh1t about the spread. Vegas also picked the Patriots to win, didn't they?

6 of their last 8 games before tonight were road games. btw

First 5 of those were played over an 11 day period.

And it wasn't just Lynch who went down, was it? It was also Coffey, and McBreyer has been seriously hobbled now for quite some time.

Do you think we compete in the MIAC or something??? This is the B1G conf. This Purdue loss that you are trying to highlight? Purdue is being talked about by some as being the best bet to win the Natl Title, by those Vegas people you love so much.

You might not realize this, but Vegas makes money no matter who wins the games, DUH!!!

And you cite this as proof of something?

I don't understand why the Gophers would be favorites in any games as the team currently sits.

I agree. Maybe Vegas doesn't know how dinged up we are (Coffey & McBrayer are complete guesses if they could play right now).

+1 moral victories are still marked in the loss column. We need to stop accepting mediocrity from this program.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agree 100% however in the moral victory standings we are 10-3 not 3-10 we got moral victories outside of @ Northwestern, Neutral Ohio State, Vs Purdue, so we have that going for us. Maybe 9000 there last night, I don't remember even 2 years ago there being such little interest.

+1 moral victories are still marked in the loss column. We need to stop accepting mediocrity from this program.

I wonder if everyone understands that RP is only one game above his 2015-2016 B1G Conference record? He won 2 conference games that year. Then he gets Lynch and becomes B1G CoY.

We've displayed heart and a solid level of urgency the last two games, which has been a nice change.

Where was that fighting spirit against Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State, etc??

give it a rest. this is a positive thread. go complain somewhere else.

Not the same team or circumstances. not even close

replying to EWERT86pc

Same coach.

True fans hang in there during tough times. Happy for the bench players getting big minutes. Gophers will win Big10 next year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

True fans hang in there during tough times. Happy for the bench players getting big minutes. Gophers will win Big10 next year.

Yes, I've always been impressed how significantly players improve under Pitimo. The future is bright.

"Why don't you knock it off with those negative waves?" Oddball...Kellys Heroes

I didn’t get to see the game and I’m curious how Harris played? If he and Washington can become decent Big Ten Guards for next year then the team can be competitive I think.

Go start you own Negative Nancy thread instead of hijacking this one. Must be pretty miserable to wallow in negativity and see every glass as half-empty. The rest of us here choose to see the clear positives that have been on display the last two games. We also believe the future is bright, in spite of your constant attempts to cast on us a blanket of darkness.

I love this thread. Roster has no depth because of recruiting misses. Whose fault is that? Who ignored red flags on Lynch? Maryland is missing 3 key players. Indiana was missing a couple players when they played here. I believe PSU was missing a key guy when the Gophers visited Happy Valley. Gophers were favored at home to beat IU, NW, and Nebraska. They didn't win any of them -- but almost beat a top 25 Michigan team on the road? You can't have it both ways.

I love this thread. Roster has no depth because of recruiting misses. Whose fault is that? Who ignored red flags on Lynch? Maryland is missing 3 key players. Indiana was missing a couple players when they played here. I believe PSU was missing a key guy when the Gophers visited Happy Valley. Gophers were favored at home to beat IU, NW, and Nebraska. They didn't win any of them -- but almost beat a top 25 Michigan team on the road? You can't have it both ways.

Very true about the first several games after Lynch went down. Most were ugly. Have you watched the last two? Big difference. I see increased effort and much better play all-around. I would rather focus on that instead of harping on old bad news. We are improving and figuring out how to best play without 4 of the top 6 players coming into this season. No other Big 10 team’s roster losses come even close. You and anyone else lose all credibility if you try to state otherwise.

MD, PSU, and Ind. all suck because they are depleted.

and please look back at the last 3 yeas of recruiting and tell me that it sucked

My 2 cents about last night, and I had a closer look than usual in Row 5 behind Marcus Fuller (not my regular seat)?

Yes, Nebraska shot the lights out in 1st half, but thought Gophers effort was lax in the first half. I didn't see a team working hard, especially on the defensive end.

2nd half was much better, the effort was there, if not necessarily the results.

Bottom line is if short-handed Gophers want to beat the teams they have a chance to beat (for me that's everyone in Big 10 except for Purdue/MSU), they'll have to outwork the opponent. I have not seen that much this season, dating back to the first Nebraska loss (when Gophers were full strength). (note, I did not see the Arkansas game)

The poor back-end recruiting by Pitino is being exposed with the lack of players who are able to step up (primarily because of haavin two scholarships locked in for 4 years with BK/Diedhou), but to not see some positives out of the last two games is just not being open-minded. 4 out of top 6 down, IW has really looked good and shown he can run the point next year. Quality minutes for Hurt (who I have ragged on), Harris and Fitz have all resulted in some improvement.

You essentially have the team on the court last night without Mason...sigh...next year, but add Coffey, Curry, 1/2 Dupree, Oturu, Thomas, Gabe. I feel like I've seen this situation somewhere in the past 24 months. People are underestimating how much having finishers like Murph, Curry, Oturu next year will help IW too. Konate kills our guards when they're in the paint and we've known that for a while now.

I also am looking forward to next year. I think its safe to say that this year has been disappointing but what is important is Pitino hasn't lost this team. Since they have gotten over the stretch of 8 games in 21 days and had some time to practice they have looked better. They are going out and competing despite some playing out of their position and role. The minutes that Hurt, Harris and Washington are getting this year are huge. You combine that with a possible starting line up of Curry, Murphy, Coffey, McBrayer and Washington and add the three local recruits into the mix I can't help but be excited. I have no doubt that Pitino will find another PG before next year which will be important. There will be a lot of flexibility with next years group barring no injuries (which this year should teach us). There is no doubt that Pitino got this job before he probably should have and has been learning on the job. This is what I see. From our junior class on down he has done a good job of recruiting, he is developing players and it seems the players like playing for him. Let's see what happens the next couple years with him.

The poor back-end recruiting by Pitino is being exposed with the lack of players who are able to step up (primarily because of haavin two scholarships locked in for 4 years with BK/Diedhou), but to not see some positives out of the last two games is just not being open-minded. 4 out of top 6 down, IW has really looked good and shown he can run the point next year. Quality minutes for Hurt (who I have ragged on), Harris and Fitz have all resulted in some improvement.

You essentially have the team on the court last night without Mason...sigh...next year, but add Coffey, Curry, 1/2 Dupree, Oturu, Thomas, Gabe. I feel like I've seen this situation somewhere in the past 24 months. People are underestimating how much having finishers like Murph, Curry, Oturu next year will help IW too. Konate kills our guards when they're in the paint and we've known that for a while now.

Solid analysis.

I do think Gophers need to add an experienced player or two (grad transfer and/or JC) to supplement a solid core coming back. Preferably a guard. I don't want to be counting on (all) 3 freshmen and a guy who couldn't get off the bench at Louisville as the top reserves. Of course, to be fair, that's a better option than what we had this year.

Top Bottom