***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Give it to Nebraska. They were making crazy shots one after another. Every open shot. Every contested shot. Every free throw when it counted.

Sure they played hard but the defensive effort can absolutely be criticized.

Not sure if it's effort. Might be execution. Or lack of coaching. But our D is bad. Period .

My takeaways from the game.

Ball movement was much improved tonight. Mason Washington and Murphy all moved the ball very well tonight and hurt had a couple of nice assists if I remember correctly as well. This is been one of my biggest criticisms of the team so it was nice to see us actually move the ball around for once.

The effort all around was once again great and it showed a lot of heart to come back from 15 down in the first half. Defensive execution was not great but I will say that Nebraska made every shot that they had to and always seem to have a counter punch whenever the Gophers got on a roll.

There is a reason why Nebraska is in fourth place in the Big Ten they are a very good team with good size and length. This was especially a problem for our guards such as Harris and Washington who often times were forced to guard players much larger than them.

Bottom line is, Nebraska is a tournament team with a lot of talent and depth in the Gophers are simply not. Whether you blame Pitino or not for the depth issues that Gophers have the bottom line is Nebraska at has depth and that is the main reason why they were able to come away with the win tonight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gave great effort in one aspect of the game but the defensive grades will be poor even by the standards of this staff. Lot of empty seats.

The defensive effort was there in the second half, but Nebraska made everything and caught the Gophers in a few mismatches with McBrayer out. Took advantage of every single one of them too. We were too slow defensively in the first half, didn't close out on anything and Nebraska got any shot it wanted in the first half. It was a miracle we were only down 7 at the half.

The killer was the possession where Hurt got the block, Harris almost gets a steal and Nebraska drains a ridiculous contested three. When we did get a stop, couldn't get a critical rebound with our lack of size on the floor, multiple players contesting one shot and no box out.

Washington was fantastic, love his future with what's coming back next year. Mason left everything he had on the floor. You can't ask much more when we played 5 guys most of the second half. McBrayer has a stress fracture in his left leg and is playing through it, but the pain must have been awful if he couldn't play the last 20 minutes. You could see him limping and laboring on the defensive end in the first half.

So that leaves 2 of our anticipated top 6 healthy to start the year with Mason and Murphy. There isn't one coach who could win with that.

I have no idea why Pitino lost his mind and got the T in the second half. It was a clear foul on Mason. It came at a horrible time, Gophers went from down 2 to down 8. That cannot happen in that situation. I can't blame his frustration under the circumstances, but we can't beat ourselves there.

The defensive effort was there in the second half, but Nebraska made everything and caught the Gophers in a few mismatches with McBrayer out. Took advantage of every single one of them too. We were too slow defensively in the first half, didn't close out on anything and Nebraska got any shot it wanted in the first half. It was a miracle we were only down 7 at the half.

The killer was the possession where Hurt got the block, Harris almost gets a steal and Nebraska drains a ridiculous contested three. When we did get a stop, couldn't get a critical rebound with our lack of size on the floor, multiple players contesting one shot and no box out.

Washington was fantastic, love his future with what's coming back next year. Mason left everything he had on the floor. You can't ask much more when we played 5 guys most of the second half. McBrayer has a stress fracture in his left leg and is playing through it, but the pain must have been awful if he couldn't play the last 20 minutes. You could see him limping and laboring on the defensive end in the first half.

So that leaves 2 of our anticipated top 6 healthy to start the year with Mason and Murphy. There isn't one coach who could win with that.

I have no idea why Pitino lost his mind and got the T in the second half. It was a clear foul on Mason. It came at a horrible time, Gophers went from down 2 to down 8. That cannot happen in that situation. I can't blame his frustration under the circumstances, but we can't beat ourselves there.
Lots of good points and observations. Nebraska played well but definitely also had a little bit of luck on their side tonight.
It wasn't just that Mason got called for a foul there. There was a few minute sequence where it seemed like Nebraska got every call. The ending of that sequence was Hurt got hit by Tschminga and no call, Nebraska comes down and minimal if any contact by a straight up Konate is called, Murphy gets hit on the arm on a missed shot no call, and then Mason gets called for a reach. For whatever reason when we play Nebraska it seems like they get the benefit of a lot of calls it happened at Nebraska and it happened again tonight. It took them 14 minutes in the 1st half to call the touch foul on Nebraska that they had been calling on the Gophers much earlier. The frustration eventually adds up and hits a boiling point and I'm sure the players definitely appreciate Pitino showing he has their back and is willing to fight for them.

Ball movement was much improved tonight. Mason Washington and Murphy all moved the ball very well tonight and hurt had a couple of nice assists if I remember correctly as well. This is been one of my biggest criticisms of the team so it was nice to see us actually move the ball around for once.

The effort all around was once again great and it showed a lot of heart to come back from 15 down in the first half. Defensive execution was not great but I will say that Nebraska made every shot that they had to and always seem to have a counter punch whenever the Gophers got on a roll.

There is a reason why Nebraska is in fourth place in the Big Ten they are a very good team with good size and length. This was especially a problem for our guards such as Harris and Washington who often times were forced to guard players much larger than them.

Bottom line is, Nebraska is a tournament team with a lot of talent and depth in the Gophers are simply not. Whether you blame Pitino or not for the depth issues that Gophers have the bottom line is Nebraska at has depth and that is the main reason why they were able to come away with the win tonight.

Nebraska a very good team ? Kenpom 88th best team . That would be 12th in the ACC ! Worse, they are 0-5 against the top 25 and have one top 50 win. Did like the ball movement but the lack of anticipating on defense, terrible help and not getting low and wide and better closing to shooters is glaring.

Nebraska a very good team ? Kenpom 88th best team . That would be 12th in the ACC ! Worse, they are 0-5 against the top 25 and have one top 50 win. Did like the ball movement but the lack of anticipating on defense, terrible help and not getting low and wide and better closing to shooters is glaring.
In this case, I don't care what Kenpom says. They are a tourney lock unless they completely collapse. They have 9 wins already in the b10, and 3 of their 4 losses are to Ohio State, Michigan State and Purdue. The 3 best teams in the conference. They comfortably beat Michigan and have beaten every other team they were supposed to outside of Penn State. I'm not saying they are a top 4 seed, but they are a very solid to very good team imo.

Do you care about a very poor body of work. Remember, you do have to beat someone good. Kenpom measures your points for and against per possession. That is a extraordinary way to see how well you play. Very important but not to you. Fine. What of that 0-5 record against the top 25, and 1 win against the top 50.

Anyone on this board that criticizes the team for their effort either didn’t watch the game or is an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Our guys battled. We now have two bonafide BT starters available and third in the making in Washington (but still a work in progress). You just are not going to win with what we have left. It is just one of those unreal seasons where nothing good happens. Tonight was winnable with decent refs.

Disagree again. They worked their buts off defensively, too. Were they always in the right place? No, but it wasn’t due to lack of effort.

Absolutely spot on.

How about lack of personnel?

We're still allowed to have 5 out there.

Not many teams are playing better than Nebraska right now, and even they outdid themselves tonight, but you have to find a way to hold them under 91. It breaks my heart that we wasted Mason's career night and a stellar offensive showing and are sitting with a sixth straight loss.

The Gophers were favored to win this game. That's now 3 HOME losses as FAVORITES for Pitino since Lynch was suspended. People talking about a good effort? Are you F'ing kidding me? The effort in the first half was not only not "good" it was flat out atrocious. The Gophers started out the game up 7-0, then got outscored 37-15(!) over the next 14 minutes of game time. During this stretch, Nebraska hit a ton of wide open jumpers and scored in the paint at will. One of the key guys showing little to no effort on the defensive end during this stretch? Jordan Murphy. Three separate 3's were made over Murphy where he either didn't get out to the shooter on a screen or failed to even put his hand up. How about the "effort" on the offensive end? It was hard to discern what type of sets the Gophers were even attempting to run. Literally every offensive possession ended with a contested one on one move by a Gopher player. So either the Gophers were not "fighting" for good shots or were not running their "offense" whatever that is at this point.

I will give them credit for a much better effort in the second half. There was far more ball movement on offense and way fewer slumped shoulders and poor body language on both ends. That said, they gave up 47 points at home in the 2nd half to Nebraska with that effort.

The Gophers were favored to win this game. That's now 3 HOME losses as FAVORITES for Pitino since Lynch was suspended. People talking about a good effort? Are you F'ing kidding me? The effort in the first half was not only not "good" it was flat out atrocious. The Gophers started out the game up 7-0, then got outscored 37-15(!) over the next 14 minutes of game time. During this stretch, Nebraska hit a ton of wide open jumpers and scored in the paint at will. One of the key guys showing little to no effort on the defensive end during this stretch? Jordan Murphy. Three separate 3's were made over Murphy where he either didn't get out to the shooter on a screen or failed to even put his hand up. How about the "effort" on the offensive end? It was hard to discern what type of sets the Gophers were even attempting to run. Literally every offensive possession ended with a contested one on one move by a Gopher player. So either the Gophers were not "fighting" for good shots or were not running their "offense" whatever that is at this point.

I will give them credit for a much better effort in the second half. There was far more ball movement on offense and way fewer slumped shoulders and poor body language on both ends. That said, they gave up 47 points at home in the 2nd half to Nebraska with that effort.

By who? Vegas? Give me a break. Didn't Vegas also pick the Patriots to win??

Lots of good points and observations. Nebraska played well but definitely also had a little bit of luck on their side tonight.
It wasn't just that Mason got called for a foul there. There was a few minute sequence where it seemed like Nebraska got every call. The ending of that sequence was Hurt got hit by Tschminga and no call, Nebraska comes down and minimal if any contact by a straight up Konate is called, Murphy gets hit on the arm on a missed shot no call, and then Mason gets called for a reach. For whatever reason when we play Nebraska it seems like they get the benefit of a lot of calls it happened at Nebraska and it happened again tonight. It took them 14 minutes in the 1st half to call the touch foul on Nebraska that they had been calling on the Gophers much earlier. The frustration eventually adds up and hits a boiling point and I'm sure the players definitely appreciate Pitino showing he has their back and is willing to fight for them.

I'm not into conspiracy theories....but the Gophers have little to play for now. Nebraska is looking at NCAA seeding.

Seriously??? unreal

Unbelievable, Murphy goes for 22 and 13 and you question his effort?

I'm not into conspiracy theories....but the Gophers have little to play for now. Nebraska is looking at NCAA seeding.

I have to say, that occurred to me during the game. Not that I suspect the one official that was calling 100% of the bogus calls had questionable intentions, but...

In this case, I don't care what Kenpom says. They are a tourney lock unless they completely collapse. They have 9 wins already in the b10, and 3 of their 4 losses are to Ohio State, Michigan State and Purdue. The 3 best teams in the conference. They comfortably beat Michigan and have beaten every other team they were supposed to outside of Penn State. I'm not saying they are a top 4 seed, but they are a very solid to very good team imo.

What?? Nebraska isn't even in the tournament field right now according to every major bracketology out there. In some cases they aren't even in the first four out. They have one good win.

Heads up for you: Coffey was a day of the game decision. McBrayer was unable to play effectively and had to be shut down for the 2nd half. Those were probably not in the oddsmakers calculations. We simply don't have the bodies. You are looking to be critical because you are frustrated- as we all are. Look at the obvious- We now have 2 of our projected top 6 players available. When those top 6 players were healthy and not suspended as in Lynch's case the prognosis on the team was a deep run in the NCAAs if we could find some depth. Now we are playing the questionable depth as starters. I wouldn't be surprised if McBrayer is done for the year- he had nothing. He drove in free for what would always be a dunk for him and he couldn't get up in the air to finish. Shortly after that he was pulled and done for the night. It's just a disaster year where you can't draw any conclusions about anything. Horribly officiated game btw...

I have to say, that occurred to me during the game. Not that I suspect the one official that was calling 100% of the bogus calls had questionable intentions, but...

Have you ever seen a quicker technical foul call from half way across the court? Unbelievable....

Certainly we're on the bad end of some calls. But I feel like some of it is MN not adjusting to the refs allowing physical play this year. Murphy got a way with a couple chicken wings last night. Maybe he needs to do it more. If they're going to let Nebraska shove Michael Hurt out of the way to get a rebound or hit him in the face when he shoots, we have to shove back.

Top Bottom