Shama on the future of The Barn

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

At least two major factors make it unlikely the arena will be replaced anytime soon. To many fans and ticket buyers, the thought of replacing the beloved building is heresy. A move to a new arena could cause a revolt by some season ticket holders and athletic department donors—telling the athletic department, “See you later.” Abandonment by supporters would be even more probable if the men’s team continues its almost annual performance of playing mediocre (and worse) basketball.

The second issue is money. The athletic department still has more than $60 million to raise in paying off the new $166 million Athletes Village project. There is also ongoing maintenance and renovations on existing facilities. And there is an overall annual challenge to fund the 23 sport men’s and women’s programs—with only football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey being profitable. Those three generate much of the money in the athletic department budget.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

The Barn is such an iconic place.

The fact that hockey is profitable is gravy. Coyle needs to fix that next before it starts losing money.

The barn needs to be remodeled, but not replaced.

I agree. A major renovation would be nice. I’d be willing to play a season at Target Center or the X if it was getting done (like what Northwestern is doing this year)

The fact that hockey is profitable is gravy. Coyle needs to fix that next before it starts losing money.
To do that, they would need to pull out of the Big Ten Farce of a Hockey Conference.

The court and seating around it (rafters and all) should be largely left alone, though more seatbacks would be nice. Best arena in which to watch a game. What could use major renovation would be the concourses, atriums, etc. Sort of like what they did with Lambeau Field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To do that, they would need to pull out of the Big Ten Farce of a Hockey Conference.

Agree and I doubt that it would ever happen. They wreck a good conference for the teams involved and the fans.

Agree and I doubt that it would ever happen. They wreck a good conference for the teams involved and the fans.

Let it go. The big 10 hockey conference is here to stay. College hockey in general is not what it use to be.

Top Bottom