Recruiting Class Bet

Rivals now has Goph ranked 42nd...

I was browsing the forum not logged in and realized PMWinSTP had an issue with one of my posts.

PMWinSTP has an issue with almost anything I post, so I've had him on ignore for quite some time.

PMWinSTP, when you read this, check out the ignore feature and please ignore me so you don't feel the need to be so upset by each of my posts.
My writing style and sarcasm obviously aren't a match for the type of reading material you like to consume.

Just FYI we ended the day 35th in the 247 composite rankings. One spot HIGHER than we were when the argument bewteen dpdoll and JB happened.

Just FYI we ended the day 35th in the 247 composite rankings. One spot HIGHER than we were when the argument bewteen dpdoll and JB happened.

The signing of 4 Star Dunlap and the later re-rating of Faalele (I tried) to a 4 Star certainly helped maintain the mid 30s rating. The arcane 247 weighted points system that nobody can explain appears to be heavily biased towards higher-rated players.

So, in the end both were right. We moved up very slightly from 36 on the signing of two 4 stars, but just barely so. Had we not had the surprise croot coup we certainly would have dropped closer to 40 today.

Without Zack Annexstad's recruiting prowess, we'd be mired somewhere in the mid forties, so I'm gonna say nobody really won the bet. We need posters in the offseason, so instead of a whole year hiatus, I propose a four game posting suspension during the season. JB can sit out the first four cupcakes, allowing Dopo to temper my euphoria about starting 4-0. Then Dopo can sit out the next four, so JB's irrational optimism can make me feel better as the Big Ten losses start to stack up.

After all the perturbations by the kissing cousins, it all boils down to re-ratings.

It is a draw. Go get a room. Kiss and make up. We don't want to know the details. :eek:

It's not a draw. I won, he lost. See you in a year, Johhny. Or rather, I should say, see you later today under whatever new screen name you sign up for.

Last edited:

I have now seen a few posts talking about JB's positivity and optimism. Now I am no expert on positivity and optimism, but Come again? He was blindly positive and optimistic about all things PJ, all things, but it stopped there. Dude got into more pissing matches than me, and was so negative about the previous staff that it made GWG blush. How soon we all forget.

A draw? They both won? Huh? The bet was 1-30 or 31+. Plain and simple. Good riddance JB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB if Spoofin and dpo are against you, you got no shot.

JB if Spoofin and dpo are against you, you got no shot.

Who is JB? There is no JB on this site...at least for a year!! I did miss his goodbye post though, assumed he would have posted one.

I do believe that getting the right fit of recruits in classes consistently in the 35-40 range, along with a high level of player development by the coaching staff, can absolutely translate into a sustained higher level of success (wins totals). There are plenty of examples out there.

This has yet to be seen with the current staff here with only zero year. Given what they did in the mid-MAC we are all hopeful they will be able to develop players and get us back to a nine win season soon.

I have now seen a few posts talking about JB's positivity and optimism. Now I am no expert on positivity and optimism, but Come again? He was blindly positive and optimistic about all things PJ, all things, but it stopped there. Dude got into more pissing matches than me, and was so negative about the previous staff that it made GWG blush. How soon we all forget.

A draw? They both won? Huh? The bet was 1-30 or 31+. Plain and simple. Good riddance JB.

Nooooooo...you don't say. He once denied that....check out my signature.:clap:

This has yet to be seen with the current staff here with only zero year. Given what they did in the mid-MAC we are all hopeful they will be able to develop players and get us back to a nine win season soon.

Completely agree. Just pointing out that there are quite a few programs who take classes in that range and win consistently at a high level.

No doubt the program took an unnecessary (IMO) large step backwards in 2017. Rubber hits the road this Fall. If Gophs limp in with another year like 2017, recruiting another comparable class will become much tougher for Fleck. As I've posted before, Fleck's cult of personality definitely helped in getting this class, but it's got a short shelf life if the Gophs do not win at a higher level.

It's not a draw. I won, he lost. See you in a year, Johhny. Ir rather, I should say, see you later today under whatever new screen name you sign up for.
Congrats on your major victory

Completely agree. Just pointing out that there are quite a few programs who take classes in that range and win consistently at a high level.

No doubt the program took an unnecessary (IMO) large step backwards in 2017. Rubber hits the road this Fall. If Gophs limp in with another year like 2017, recruiting another comparable class will become much tougher for Fleck. As I've posted before, Fleck's cult of personality definitely helped in getting this class, but it's got a short shelf life if the Gophs do not win at a higher level.

Agree. If we have a similar year next year (and have you heard...we will be younger), he won't have the same recruiting carrot of early playing time.

It's not a draw. I won, he lost. See you in a year, Johhny. Ir rather, I should say, see you later today under whatever new screen name you sign up for.

You certainly won the bet hands down, but you were wrong in your initial argument saying the gophers would not move up, since we were ranked 36 in the composite score when you made that claim and we ended ranked 35.

Neither of these guys should go. They both care about the program and one is very positive and the other a reality checker.

You certainly won the bet hands down, but you were wrong in your initial argument saying the gophers would not move up, since we were ranked 36 in the composite score when you made that claim and we ended ranked 35.

Ultimately the bet was about top 30 or not. He (JB) was wrong in the sense even if we had signed an additional 4 Star we likely wouldn’t have cracked top 30 after NSD (but who knows - still waiting on formula explanation). Very few thought PJ would sign a couple 4 stars late in the cycle after a largely disastrous season so it was a fair thought to believe we’d end up in the 40s.

Surely we have someone else plugged in to Gobie’s pay board to forward recruiting rumors.

How dare anyone be blindly positive about PJ and negative about the previous staff. That kind of stuff don't fly around here.

How dare anyone be blindly positive about PJ and negative about the previous staff. They kind of stuff don't fly around here.

You missed my point. I don't really care if that is the stance - many on here have it - but this narrative that JB was some happy, positive, optimistic poster is ridiculous. Hell, even he likely wouldn't say that.

You missed my point. I don't really care if that is the stance - many on here have it - but this narrative that JB was some happy, positive, optimistic poster is ridiculous. Hell, even he likely wouldn't say that.

Fair enough.

aaaannnnnddddd...Utah passed us and we are back to 36.

Top Bottom