Recruiting Class Bet

OddStack

Reaction score
With signing day (coming again) tomorrow, who was involved with the class ranking bet and what were the exact terms? I'm sure some of you remember, but I think I remember somebody saying they'd not post for a year.

a66926b4057298b387a68f3f925b59e1.gif

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

With signing day (coming again) tomorrow, who was involved with the class ranking bet and what were the exact terms? I'm sure some of you remember, but I think I remember somebody saying they'd not post for a year.

Thank you very much for bringing this up, OddStack, and for not allowing us to lose sight of the bet that was made.

The terms were that if the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team finished the 2018 recruiting period (with its endpoint defined as National Signing Day in February) in the 2018 football recruiting 247 composite team rankings at a spot of 30th or higher, that I would refrain from posting on the board for one full calendar year. If the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team finished the 2018 recruiting period in the 2018 football recruiting 247 composite team rankings at a spot of 31st or lower, that JohnnyBoy18 would refrain from posting on the board for one full calendar year.

As of the moment of this posting, Minnesota is in 34th place in the 247 composite team rankings. There's no reason for JohnnyBoy18 to worry, though - the Gophers are sure to move up several spots thanks to all of the additional recruits that will commit and sign to our 2018 class tomorrow.

Thank you very much for bringing this up, OddStack, and for not allowing us to lose sight of the bet that was made.

The terms were that if the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team finished the 2018 recruiting period (with its endpoint defined as National Signing Day in February) in the 2018 football recruiting 247 composite team rankings at a spot of 30th or higher, that I would refrain from posting on the board for one full calendar year. If the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team finished the 2018 recruiting period in the 2018 football recruiting 247 composite team rankings at a spot of 31st or lower, that JohnnyBoy18 would refrain from posting on the board for one full calendar year.

As of the moment of this posting, Minnesota is in 34th place in the 247 composite team rankings. There's no reason for JohnnyBoy18 to worry, though - the Gophers are sure to move up several spots thanks to all of the additional recruits that will commit and sign to our 2018 class tomorrow.
Link to the posts in which these terms were agreed upon?

What are we going to do without Johnnyboy's dumb posts?

Over/under on how long it takes him to make a different account?

Will February 7th forever be treated as a national holiday on GopherHole henceforth?

I'm sure that was taken care of weeks ago!

I promise you I will not make another account. I will enjoy laughing at the sky is falling posts, however. I believe the Gophers were 38th when Dpo said they would not move up and they did. So once again he was wrong.

Later on, GH!

Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
#RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

I promise you I will not make another account. I will enjoy laughing at the sky is falling posts, however. I believe the Gophers were 38th when Dpo said they would not move up and they did. So once again he was wrong.

Later on, GH!

Props to you and way to man-up. That's ELITE attitude and ownership JB18!

Later on, GH!

Actually, they were 34th. We discussed this already - again I was right, and again you were wrong.

JohnnyBoy18=JohnnyOldMan66.

Enjoy your one year retirement. Nektons will work wonders and you will be JohnnyBoy19.

Okay, so who's going to create the "Faux JB18" account in the same spirit as the "Faux Pelini" twitter handle?

Actually, they were 34th. We discussed this already - again I was right, and again you were wrong.

Where are you getting that 34 number? I'm looking back at the thread and I am seeing the number 36 as the recruiting class ranking that started this whole bet:

GophBen; said:
The class is currently 36 with 23 recruits. I'd expect around 4-5 more guys, and at least 1 in the class swapped out for one reason or another (ie: sprained cerebrum). Depending on how those things shake out, I'm rather confident that it'll be right around 26-30, which I believe is borderline top 30.

And as for the 2016 class that finished 46: yup, he had a hand in that, but Jerry had a larger hand. Both were blessed with a once in a lifetime MN HS football recruiting group, and they took advantage of that. If you'd like to guess where he would have finished the 2017 class, be my guest. I don't think there would have been much movement from around where it was when he was let go (ie: low-to-mid 60s). Claeys simply did not put the energy into the program that Kill did, which is required to be successful long-term at Minnesota.

From there you state:
How long have you been following recruiting? Many schools behind us will be signing players and moving ahead of us in the rankings. This is the first time I've seen the bizarrely ignorant take that we will somehow move up in the recruiting rankings (despite already having one of the largest classes in the country), so kudos for that I guess.

More players in the 2016 class committed after Kill retired than before. Oops.

Then JB states:

If they add players ranked higher than the previous commits they will absolutely move up, I'm sure you already know this. Also why are you predicting where this class will finish but you call anyone who does the same for Claeys stupid?

To which you respond:
They're not going to move up. We have 23 committed players, and many of the schools behind us have 15-19 commitments, with much more room to move up by virtue of having room for so many more players. It's basic mathematics.

I'm not predicting where the class will end up, other than knowing with near-100% certainty that it will not move up, and will certainly not finish in the top 30. At most, we will be able to sign 5 more players, while many schools currently behind us will sign 9-13 more and move ahead of us. I know, math is hard.

Here's how the convo proceeds:
JB: Again it depends on who they finish the class with. Math isn't hard, if people commit that are higher ranked than the current class the ranking will move up. Shouldn't be that complicated.
You: No, we won't move up, not when the schools behind us will be accruing twice as many new commitments as us (or more). You're right, it isn't complicated. We will hold steady at best and almost certainly slide further down.
JB: Holy **** you're actually doubling down on this. Do me a favor go to the 247 class calculator and add 3 4 star commits to the Gophers and tell me what it does. You should really stop. As you can see if you click the link the players on the bottom aren't being counted nearly as much as the players on the top. So if the Gophers add players near the top of the class, they will get more points. It all depends on who the Gophers add and who the other teams add. You're making yourself look stupid. (Link to commit list removed since it doesn't matter)
You: If the Gophers finish 30th or higher in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, I will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

If the Gophers finish 31st or lower in the 2018 247 composite football recruiting team rankings, you will stop posting on GopherHole for one full calendar year.

Let's see if you're man enough to put your money where your big mouth is.
JB: Did I say they would inside of the top 30? You are claiming they will finish outside of the top 40.

I will take the bet if you move each spot back 10 like you are arguing.
You: Just as I thought. Coward.
JB: What? You have been arguing this entire thread about how they will not finish in the top 40. I have never once claimed they will finish with a top 30 class.

Then you two argue a bit about what you are arguing about, and then a few days later JB accepts the bet.

They did move to 33 prior to JB accepting the bet, HOWEVER, their rank was 36 when you claimed they would not move up. The fact that they moved up prior to the bet being accepted does not change the fact that they were 36 when you argued they would not move up.

So in summary, you're both wrong. The rank wasn't 38, or 34. It was 36 when the argument happened. Unless they drop 2 spots by the end of the day tomorrow, they moved up. They will not, however, be 30 or higher so JB lost the bet.

I'm guessing UNC (17 recruits) likely has room to add and pass us. Furthermore, I'm guessing Stanford does as well; they have 14 commits as of now. If so, we'd be at...........36! . Thus, Dpo would win the bet and be right with the "we're not moving up" claim. Ouch...did I just say that?

I’m pulling this from my posterior but I’m quite certain (based on review of ranking list after first NSD) we will likely drop further in the rankings after tomorrow.

More importantly, I updated the Wikipedia page on famous duels.

Early modern and modern duels

United States Edit
May 16, 1777: Button Gwinnett, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, dueled his political opponent Lachlan McIntosh; both were wounded, and Gwinnett died three days later.
November 24, 1801: Philip Hamilton, son of former U.S. Secretary of Treasury, dueled George I. Eacker; Hamilton was killed.
July 11, 1804: U.S. Vice President Aaron Burr, while in office, dueled former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton; Hamilton was killed.
Main article: Burr-Hamilton duel
May 30, 1806: Andrew Jackson and Charles Dickinson. Dickinson was killed and Jackson wounded. Upon his election to the Presidency in 1829, Jackson became the only U.S. President to have killed a man in a duel.
August 12, 1817: Thomas Hart Benton and Charles Lucas, attorneys on opposite sides of a court battle, dueled on the famous Bloody Island after Lucas challenged Benton's right to vote and Benton accused Lucas of being a "puppy"; Lucas was shot in the throat and Benton shot in the leg, upon which Benton released Lucas from his obligation.
September 27, 1817: Benton and Lucas rematch, again on Bloody Island; Benton challenged Lucas after Lucas said the first fight at 30 feet (9.1 m) was unfair because Benton was a better shot. Benton killed Lucas at nine feet and was unhurt.
March 22, 1820: Stephen Decatur and James Barron. Decatur was killed.
June 30, 1823: Joshua Barton and Thomas C. Rector on Bloody Island. Barton's brother, Senator David Barton, sought to block the reappointment of Rector's brother, William Rector, to the position of Surveyor General for Missouri, Illinois, and Arkansas. Barton was killed and Rector unhurt.
April 26, 1826: Henry Clay and John Randolph of Roanoke at Pimmit Run, Virginia. Both men were unhurt.[2]
September 22, 1826: U.S. Representative Sam Houston of Tennessee severely wounded General William A. White in a pistol duel near Franklin, Kentucky, over the patronage political appointment of the Nashville Postmaster.[3]
September 19, 1827: A duel between Samuel Levi Wells III and Dr. Thomas Harris Maddox turned into a brawl involving notable figures such as Jim Bowie.
Main article: Sandbar Fight
August 26, 1831: Thomas Biddle and Missouri Congressman Spencer Darwin Pettis on Bloody Island. Biddle challenged Pettis for comments about Biddle's brother, who was president of the United States bank. Both men were mortally wounded after firing from five feet.
August 10, 1832: Savannah physician Philip Minis shot and killed Georgia state legislator James Stark, after which Minis claimed that a valid duel had occurred. Minis also claimed his right to self-defense, saying he had not agreed to the duel and that he shot Stark to save his own life. Minis was found not guilty by a jury. While it is not clearly eligible to be on this list, the deceased had claimed his shooting and threatening fell under the law of duels, which is legally giving permission for his opponent to take shelter in the law of duels.
Main article: Stark-Minis duel
September 25, 1832: James Westcott and Thomas Baltzell; Baltzell unhurt, Westcott injured but survived to become a U.S. Senator.[4]
February 24, 1838: U.S. Representative from Kentucky William Jordan Graves killed U.S. Representative from Maine Jonathan Cilley in a pistol duel. Afterwards, Congress passed a law making it illegal to issue or accept a duel challenge in Washington, D.C.[5]
December 12, 1839: Florida Militia Brigadier General Leigh Read and Colonel Augustus A. Alston, a Whig Party leader, with rifles at 15 paces. Read had been challenged twice by Alston, an overconfident duelist, and unexpectedly killed Alston.[6] Tallahassee Mayor Francis Eppes, also Thomas Jefferson's grandson, was elected in large part to put down dueling and other lawlessness in the territory.
September 22, 1842: Abraham Lincoln, at the time an Illinois state legislator, accepted a challenge to a duel by Illinois state auditor James Shields. Lincoln apparently had published an inflammatory letter in a Springfield newspaper, the Sangamon Journal, that poked fun at Shields. Taking offense, Shields demanded "satisfaction" and the incident escalated with the two parties meeting on a Missouri island called Bloody Island, near Alton, Illinois, for the duel. Just prior to engaging in combat, the two participants' seconds intervened and were able to convince the two men to cease hostilities, on the grounds that Lincoln had not written the letters.[7]
July 26, 1847: Albert Pike and John Selden Roane. The duel was declared a draw, with no injuries.
June 1, 1853: U.S. Senator William McKendree Gwin and U.S. Congressman J.W. McCorkle. No injuries.
August 26, 1856: Benjamin Gratz Brown and Thomas C. Reynolds on Bloody Island, in what would be called the "Duel of the Governors". Brown was then the abolitionist editor of the St. Louis Democrat and Reynolds a pro-slavery St. Louis district attorney. Brown was shot in the leg, which caused him to limp for the rest of his life, while Reynolds was unhurt. Brown would later become the Union-sanctioned Governor of Missouri and Reynolds a Confederate Governor of Missouri.
September 13, 1859: U.S. Senator David C. Broderick and former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of California David S. Terry. Broderick was killed.
Main article: Broderick–Terry duel
September 6, 1863: Brig. Gen. Lucius Marshall Walker, the nephew of President James K. Polk, and General John Sapington Marmaduke, the future Governor of Missouri, dueled over differences on the Confederate battlefield at the battles of Helena and Reed's Bridge in Arkansas. The duel took place at 6 am near the north bank of the Arkansas River, just outside Little Rock (now within eyesight of the Clinton Presidential Library). Both men missed their first shots, but Marmaduke mortally wounded Walker with his second shot. Walker died the next day.
July 21, 1865: "Wild Bill" Hickok and Davis Tutt, in Springfield, Missouri. Hickok had lost a pocket watch to Tutt in a card game, and when he demanded its return, Tutt refused. Tutt was shot and killed. The confrontation is often remembered as the first instance of two gunmen participating in a quick-draw duel.[8]
Main article: Wild Bill Hickok – Davis Tutt shootout
July 22, 1867: John Bull killed Langford Peel in a quick-draw duel in Salt Lake City, Utah. Peel challenged Bull after the two argued about their business, an argument which culminated in Peel slapping Bull. Bull reasoned that he did not have a gun, but Peel told him to get his own and come back. Peel waited in the saloon for an hour but left, not knowing that Bull had not refused his offer but was simply late. After meeting again in another saloon, the two drew their weapons and Bull gunned down Peel.
March 9, 1877: Gamblers Jim Levy and Charlie Harrison, in a saloon in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Levy challenged Harrison to take it outside, Harrison agreed, and the two squared off in the street. Western novelist James Reasoner claimed in a recent issue of Esquire that this was "the most 'Hollywood' showdown". During the duel, Harrison shot wild, while Levy took more careful aim and shot Harrison.[9] Levy had previously participated in another quick-draw duel with gunfighter Michael Casey, who challenged him in an alleyway in Pioche, Nevada.
March 22, 1882: Wyatt Earp killed an outlaw named Florentino "Indian Charlie" Cruz in a duel in the Dragoon Mountains of southeastern Arizona. Although the actual events are still debated by historians, Earp left his own account claiming that after capturing Cruz, Earp told Cruz to face him and draw his weapon. Earp ended up gunning down Cruz.[10]
June 7, 1882: Louisiana State Treasurer Edward A. Burke was seriously wounded by C. Harrison Parker, editor of the New Orleans Daily Picayune, in a duel with pistols. After Parker published unflattering remarks about Burke, Burke challenged him to a duel.[11]
February 8, 1887: Jim Courtright was killed by Luke Short during a quick-draw duel in Fort Worth, Texas.[12]
February 7th, 2018: PJ Fleck super-fan jonnyboy18 loses bet to Dpodoll on website gopherhole.com. Their feud involved a heated dispute over the MN Gopher football ultimate recruiting class 247 “composite” ranking in the “year zero” recruiting class of Fleck.

I’m pulling this from my posterior but I’m quite certain (based on review of ranking list after first NSD) we will likely drop further in the rankings after tomorrow.

More importantly, I updated the Wikipedia page on famous duels.

Early modern and modern duels

United States Edit
February 7th, 2018: PJ Fleck super-fan jonnyboy18 loses bet to Dpodoll on website gopherhole.com. Their feud involved a heated dispute over the MN Gopher football ultimate recruiting class 247 “composite” ranking in the “year zero” recruiting class of Fleck.

Bravo!!!!

I received a note from Mark Coyle suggesting the timeline be shortened to 30 days for Johnny boy. MC was concerned the EOAA might become involved because betting is illegal on campus. MC went on for a couple more pages to say he'd like to say more but University policy prevented him from disclosing more information. He did emphasize he'd prefer leniency for JB to avoid further publicity.

I am all for calling it a draw.

Let's take a vote:

Options:

1. JohnnyBoy18 take a year off GH.
2. JohnnyBoy18 and DPODoll68 duel it out in a game of their choosing.
3. Call it a draw.

I wish there was a way they would both stop posting for a year.

Let's take a vote:

Options:

3. Call it a draw.

Option #2.

I propose a turtle race (I have ties to Perham MN) https://www.perham.com/turtle-races/

Both Johnny and Dpo can have up until the summer to train a turtle for a competitive advantage.

We would agree on a Wednesday to head up to Perham for the race.

Let's take a vote:

Options:

3. Call it a draw.

Oh Dear God. #1 with a bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's take a vote:

Options:

3. Call it a draw.

4. They both leave.

Top Bottom