Football Scoop: Robb Smith to Pats

Losing. They had a hard time excepting losing.

Brewster lost his O.C. and D.C after his first year. Had nothing to do with changing schemes. Everett Winters left to go back to North Carolina, where he was from. Mike Dunbar left/was let go because Brewster became dismayed with Dunbar's stubbornness. He flatly refused to ever take the QB out of the shotgun formation even in short and goal situations.

There were a few "heated discussions" on the sidelines about it.

Based on what? And Dunbar was here for 2 years.

Based on what? And Dunbar was here for 2 years.

Wikipedia huh? Good for you, though it still shows that you were wrong about how changing "schemes" was the reason Brewster lost his coaches. They still threw for 209 yards a game in 2009 vs. rushing for 99. Ted Roof, their Defensive Coordinator left after that season too.

Not because of scheme, but because Roof got an offer from Auburn.

On losing it's pretty simple.

They went 5-7 in 2017 and Fleck was quoted as saying that he wasn't concerned about winning. He also has said that they won't be competitive until 2019. Easy to understand how coaches that weren't with Fleck at Western Michigan wouldn't be pleased with that. Particularly coaches who can go to schools that may be trying to win as soon as next year.

Unless you call playing a one-legged QB or running an unsuccessful Wildcat play 12-13 times, maximizing effort. Heard their Offensive Line Coach wasn't very pleased about those decisions either.

Sleep well.

Wikipedia huh? Good for you, though it still shows that you were wrong about how changing "schemes" was the reason Brewster lost his coaches. They still threw for 209 yards a game in 2009 vs. rushing for 99. Ted Roof, their Defensive Coordinator left after that season too.

They went 5-7 in 2017 and Fleck was quoted as saying that he wasn't concerned about winning. He also has said that they won't be competitive until 2019. Easy to understand how coaches that weren't with Fleck at Western Michigan wouldn't be pleased with that. Particularly coaches who can go to schools that may be trying to win as soon as next year.

Unless you call playing a one-legged QB or running an unsuccessful Wildcat play 12-13 times, maximizing effort. Heard their Offensive Line Coach wasn't very pleased about those decisions either.

Sleep well.

Or they got offered better higher paying jobs?

Sleep well.

Brewster absolutely changed offensive schemes when he went from Dunbar to Fisch to Horton.

Linguist coached teams that went 2-10, 3-9, and 6-7 in the 3 seasons before coming to Minnesota. Bryce Paup coached a 5-6 Northern Iowa team the year before coming here. Arkansas was 7-6 in Smith's last year there. They were all totally used to winning at a much higher level. :rolleyes:

Warinner was always a surprising hire and was unlikely to stay here long term with his options, and Callahan having been a very good OL coach at Western Michigan.

Brewster absolutely changed offensive schemes when he went from Dunbar to Fisch to Horton.

I am sure you know this - but changing schemes after a coordinator leaves (and a new one is hired) is not the same thing as a coach leaving because of a change in schemes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Dunbar signature on a little maroon football.

He signed it for one of my kids at his first Spring Metrodome game. I recognized him and sent the kid over for the autograph. Really great about it.

Rest In Peace Coach.

Bryce Paup coached 7-5, 9-5, 9-5 and 5-6 Northern Iowa teams before coming here. Arkansas was (7-6, 8-5, and 7-6 in Smith's years there. They both were totally used to winning at a much higher level, then the 5-7 team they found here)

Warinner (coached for 5 years at tOSU) was always a surprising hire and was unlikely to stay here long term with his options, and Callahan (Callahan coached the offensive line at his alma mater Eastern Illinois. He was with the Panthers from 2010-12 and helped lead Eastern Illinois to the 2012 Ohio Valley Conference Championship and a berth in the Division I FCS Playoffs. In 2012, the Panthers finished seventh in total offense, sixth in passing offense and eighth in scoring offense.

Callahan coached the offensive line at Akron from 2004-09. He helped guide the Zips to their first ever MAC Championship in 2005 and a berth in the 2005 Motor City Bowl)
having been a very good OL coach at Western Michigan.

Yep all those coaches had experienced much more success than Fleck's 2017 Gopher season. Gotta hope Fleck and Company care more about winning in 2018 than his public speaking has indicated.

There, fixed it for you. As you have proven time and time again you may be the worst researcher we've ever had around here. :D

No strike that, make mistakes myself. Should have said the most selective researcher on here. :cool:

Yep all those coaches had experienced much more success than Fleck's 2017 Gopher season. Gotta hope Fleck and Company care more about winning in 2018 than his public speaking has indicated.

There, fixed it for you. As you have proven time and time again you may be the worst researcher we've ever had around here. :D

No strike that, make mistakes myself. Should have said the most selective researcher on here. :cool:

And once again you’ve proven nothing other than you are easily the most sensitive poster on here. 3/4 of this rebuttal is about how successful Callahan has been. Why does he stick around? Doesn’t that just disprove your original post?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tried to see how much turnover Fleck had at WMU. Found coaching staff for his first 3 years there - could not find a list of coaches for 2016 for some reason.

but in his first 3 seasons at WMU, he had the same coordinators, OL, TE, and Special Teams coaches. He went through 3 RB coaches, 2 WR coaches and 2 DL coaches. Not sure about LB coaches. (position wasn't listed in 2015 for some reason?)

so, there was some turnover on his staff at WMU, and that is in the first three years.

I am sure you know this - but changing schemes after a coordinator leaves (and a new one is hired) is not the same thing as a coach leaving because of a change in schemes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where anyone said Brew pushed the coaches out in order to change schemes (although I heard from a then current player that was true with Roof and Roof was lucky enough to find a better landing ground).

Whether or not Brew got rid of coaches in order to change schemes isn't the point. The point is when he hired new coaches he hired someone who was not going to run the same scheme. Horton was the exception - he took Fisch's playbook, burned about 90% of it to greatly pare it down and ran that. The fact he was the one that recognized they couldn't switch schemes again rather than Brew is still rather amazing.

On offense, Brew could have chosen to hire a guy who would have tweaked Dunbar's schemes, instead he first promoted Tim Davis to run a power running scheme then hired Jed Fisch who changed to a pro-style. (I think I have that order right).

The worst part of it was they weren't implementing a system based on what players they had and they weren't recruiting to the new systems. It is amazing they won as many games as they did.

As long as Fleck doesn't make that same mistake, they'll be fine...

Top Bottom