Football Scoop: Robb Smith to Pats

justthefacts

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I bet Marcus West is taking over the DC role.

Hope this isn’t true. Even if you don’t like him, staff turnover is bad generally.

Ohio State DC Greg Schiano will be the new Patriots DC. He is bringing Robb Smith with him. They knew each other from his time with Buccaneers and Rutgers.

This should make many GHolers happy. Plenty people around here didn’t like Robb Smith as the Gophers DC anyway.

I get it that having good assistants means they may get poached, but there is also a tipping point where too much staff turnover can really hurt you. See: Brewster, Tim.

So how many new coaches in total will we have for next season?

Would be perfect. Unfortunately, it won't happen. I doubt either side could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Pretty sure I remember hearing that Sawvel did not care for him when they were on the same staff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep. Pretty sure I remember hearing that Sawvel did not care for him when they were on the same staff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was thinking more about how Sawvell feels about Coyle, but maybe PJ too? Not sure on that. Either way, it won't happen. But, agree with you that it would be an outstanding hire.

I get it that having good assistants means they may get poached, but there is also a tipping point where too much staff turnover can really hurt you. See: Brewster, Tim.

So how many new coaches in total will we have for next season?

The problem with Brewster is he wasn’t just changing coaches, he was changing his entire schemes. That’s not going to happen under Fleck.

Robb Smith
Robb Smith
@CoachSmithMN
Contrary to speculation, I am a Gopher#RTB
5:35 PM · Feb 5, 2018

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...t-marcus-west-defensive-ends-coach-bryce-paup

Paup also gone? When ALL your best coaches leave that's not good. If Smith and Paup leave for the NFL that's a level up...nice for them. However, if we are kind, we replaced our DB coach with a similar guy. We replaced the stature of Warinner with someone who has zero experience at this level. That's a pretty significant net loss on paper...never mind the recruiting expertise, contacts etc Now, we have the next two most respected guys leaving? Who replaces them? Will we better as a staff or are we just bringing in warm bodies? Not a positive at the moment...looking like we are traveling backwards very quickly.

Just when I had cooled on him!

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...t-marcus-west-defensive-ends-coach-bryce-paup

Paup also gone? When ALL your best coaches leave that's not good. If Smith and Paup leave for the NFL that's a level up...nice for them. However, if we are kind, we replaced our DB coach with a similar guy. We replaced the stature of Warinner with someone who has zero experience at this level. That's a pretty significant net loss on paper...never mind the recruiting expertise, contacts etc Now, we have the next two most respected guys leaving? Who replaces them? Will we better as a staff or are we just bringing in warm bodies? Not a positive at the moment...looking like we are traveling backwards very quickly.

Year -1?

Do we have to raise the red flag?

Are the Gophers going to be a day care center for coaches who want to spend a season here and then leave?

PJ Fleck should get coaches that want to be here for a while who have loyalty to the program. I can understand coaches having ambitions. How can we establish a stable offensive and defensive stability when your assistant coaches are gone after a year? When does it start affecting recruiting and transfers out of the program?

What does that say about his own long term commitment to the Gophers? Why are the assistant coaches leaving in such large numbers? Too much nekton for the assistant coaches? I am just saying.

The source for this (football scoop) has updated the entry to this:

"Source tells FootballScoop Greg Schiano is planning to bring University of Minnesota defensive coordinator Robb Smith with him to the Patriots. Smith served on Schiano’s staff at Rutgers and with the Tampa Bay Bucs. However at this time nothing is in place and we wouldn’t expect anything to occur before signing day."

so who knows

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-2/scoop-monday-february-5-2018/

The problem with Brewster is he wasn’t just changing coaches, he was changing his entire schemes. That’s not going to happen under Fleck.

This. There's no comparison. Brewster seemed to be flying by the seat of his pants. Fleck is ultra organized with a clear mission and plan. Unplanned staff turnover does suck though; assuming that staff was working out in the first place.

This. There's no comparison. Brewster seemed to be flying by the seat of his pants. Fleck is ultra organized with a clear mission and plan. Unplanned staff turnover does suck though; assuming that staff was working out in the first place.

As PJ has stated though, his mission and plan is more geared towards off field type things. He’s said he’s not an x’s and o’s coach, he leaves that to his coordinators. If Smith is indeed gone, then the D will have to start all over with new schemes, techniques and terminology.
On the plus side we can add another year to the excuse making...4 DC’s in 4 years. [emoji848]

Not sure what brought Paup here but all the other coaches were out of jobs. We didn't hire anyone to coach here that earned a promotion. He did it again with the new dB coach, someone who was let go. This is the antithesis of Kills stability. Still would like to know why his defensive staff did not want to come here from a mid major to a big ten team.

Not sure what brought Paup here but all the other coaches were out of jobs. We didn't hire anyone to coach here that earned a promotion. He did it again with the new dB coach, someone who was let go. This is the antithesis of Kills stability. Still would like to know why his defensive staff did not want to come here from a mid major to a big ten team.

And you know he wanted the defensive staff to come here from a mid major?

Then we're to trust him that he is a Gopher coach next year. If he leaves for New England then he isn't being honest with the public.

We'll obviously have to see how this all plays out with Smith, but regardless, multiple coaches leaving in a short time isn't a good look. Could be any number of reasons, but the obvious two are as follows:

1) Rats fleeing a sinking ship after getting a close look at Fleck and determining he's a windbag.

2) Good coaches getting legitimately better positions they couldn't turn down -- just unfortunate they were all within weeks of each other.

Top Bottom