Football Scoop: Robb Smith to Pats

Not sure what brought Paup here but all the other coaches were out of jobs. We didn't hire anyone to coach here that earned a promotion. He did it again with the new dB coach, someone who was let go. This is the antithesis of Kills stability. Still would like to know why his defensive staff did not want to come here from a mid major to a big ten team.

This is completely false.

Would be perfect. Unfortunately, it won't happen. I doubt either side could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disagree. Ran a scheme I don’t think Minnesota can win a championship with. Too much man to man leads to you needing better athletes to win at some point. I think he was good, I think his scheme can work at a high level. I don’t think his scheme can win a championship at a second or third tier school.

We'll obviously have to see how this all plays out with Smith, but regardless, multiple coaches leaving in a short time isn't a good look. Could be any number of reasons, but the obvious two are as follows:

1) Rats fleeing a sinking ship after getting a close look at Fleck and determining he's a windbag.

2) Good coaches getting legitimately better positions they couldn't turn down -- just unfortunate they were all within weeks of each other.
You're forgetting a 3rd option; they got an up close look at the Athletic Department and U Administration and decided to get out quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You're forgetting a 3rd option; they got an up close look at the Athletic Department and U Administration and decided to get out quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Are any taking a pay cut or demotion?

Wow, what a pathetic fan base! The sky is always falling. How many coaches do Alabama or New England gone through every year? I am not saying that we are at the same level as those programs, but it shows that coaches moving on up is not is not always bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turnover is to be expected. Happens every year with every team. This does seem to be a slight bit more than the norm but hard to say if it’s definitively worrisome.

Like Warriner’s tweet about the rumored MAC head coach position Robb’s tweet is worded in such a way it’s technically true but it leaves the door open to leaving. Notice neither said they would definitely be here next season. I’d say he’s gone.

Ultimately, if somebody gets a chance at the NFL and that’s their dream then hard to say it’s because of Fleck or MC or the climate at the U.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...t-marcus-west-defensive-ends-coach-bryce-paup

Paup also gone? When ALL your best coaches leave that's not good. If Smith and Paup leave for the NFL that's a level up...nice for them. However, if we are kind, we replaced our DB coach with a similar guy. We replaced the stature of Warinner with someone who has zero experience at this level. That's a pretty significant net loss on paper...never mind the recruiting expertise, contacts etc Now, we have the next two most respected guys leaving? Who replaces them? Will we better as a staff or are we just bringing in warm bodies? Not a positive at the moment...looking like we are traveling backwards very quickly.

The Pats lose their OC and DC all the time and it doesn't seem to bother them.

I'd be more worried if the offensive coordinator/offensive scheme was a revolving door. That makes it hard on QB development.

Gracious. The Pats have a recent history of going to Super Bowls. Their head coach is Bill Belichick. The Gophers have not won a title for a very long time. PJ Fleck is not considered the greatest coach ever by anyone but Johnny Boy. BB on the other hand is by many. The Pats coordinators leave to become NFL head coaches. The comparison is silly.
Our associate head coach left to be a DB coach. Our offensive line coach left to take a non field coaching position. Not exactly the same.
The bigger point are the replacements. BB hires equals or better to replace the departed.
We have definitely not even arguably done that with the new Gopher assistants. We have lost our 3 best or 3 most known assistant coaches. We have replaced them with anonymous assistants. Recruiting is about relationships and resume. Our new guys don’t have that. We have gone from an Ohio State coordinator, an SeC asst., an NFL MVP to who? What school was he at? That ain’t Patriot like.

Gracious. The Pats have a recent history of going to Super Bowls. Their head coach is Bill Belichick. The Gophers have not won a title for a very long time. PJ Fleck is not considered the greatest coach ever by anyone but Johnny Boy. BB on the other hand is by many. The Pats coordinators leave to become NFL head coaches. The comparison is silly.
Our associate head coach left to be a DB coach. Our offensive line coach left to take a non field coaching position. Not exactly the same.
The bigger point are the replacements. BB hires equals or better to replace the departed.
We have definitely not even arguably done that with the new Gopher assistants. We have lost our 3 best or 3 most known assistant coaches. We have replaced them with anonymous assistants. Recruiting is about relationships and resume. Our new guys don’t have that. We have gone from an Ohio State coordinator, an SeC asst., an NFL MVP to who? What school was he at? That ain’t Patriot like.

Warriner is a big loss tough to replace a coach of that caliber. Linguist and Paup I think you are over rating. Just cause Paup was a nfl mvp doesn't mean he's any better a coach than Marcus West, who probably has more actual coaching experience. And Addae's resume is pretty similar to Linguist.

Not ready to call Fleck the greatest coach, but I firmly believe he is a great coach and only time will tell where he ranked down the road as to coaches. I trust that Fleck will hire good coaches as he knows he needs good coaches to succeed. As stated elsewhere, many programs lose coaches for one reason or another. The sky isn't falling on the program but it certainty is with the fan base. Relax.

I don't know if Smith is staying or going. Seems his resume was kinda average coming in but it's only been 1 year. Consider the attraction to working for Belichick though...it's as close to the fast track as you can get in the coaching profession. It's an attractive opportunity if true.

If do know I were Schiano I surely would rather be the DC in New England than the HC in the Tennessee mess.

WOW! We're losing coaches from a 2-7 BIG team. Imagine how many we will lose when we are actually good.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (looking at you GWG), but I believe that every coach who didn't come over with PJ has left after 1 year if Robb Smith is indeed going to the Pats.

Linguist, Paup, Warriner and now potentially Smith.

Did they have a hard time with the culture?

WOW! We’re losing coaches from a 2-7 BIG team. Imagine how many we will lose when we are actually good.

How many? None?

Disagree. Ran a scheme I don’t think Minnesota can win a championship with. Too much man to man leads to you needing better athletes to win at some point. I think he was good, I think his scheme can work at a high level. I don’t think his scheme can win a championship at a second or third tier school.

Sawvel(?) He loved teaching. DB's always got better. I'd argue D line depth is what hurt the most.

PJ FLeck signaled the impending departures which he probably knew would happen early on when he said he fully supports coaches moving on to improve their careers. He himself was the beneficiary of the largesse of mentoring provided by Tressel, Schiano, and others.

It is rather unusual to have so many departures only after a year. All the schtick he has about HYPRR, FAMILY, and Nektons which make it sound like you are going to a comic book convention can gnaw on some folks possibly including assistant coaches..

I guess it is fine with me as long as he produces victories and don't wear down assistant coaches. His recruits seem to buy in.

I much prefer a rather stable coaching environment. At least, the Offensive and Defensive coordinators more longer term. If they have to keep changing all the position player philosophies and techniques every year or two, it might not bode well for recruiting or retaining players. But, you never know. Others college football teams probably are successful with the constancy of changes.

You win with talent, and then coaching. As long as he can recruit more talent, you have a prayer of winning more games than not. Coaches can do more with talent. You can only coach up less talented players to maximize potentials before it catches up with you at the higher level of B1G play especially when team depth is a mismatch with the big boys.

All the schtick he has about HYPRR, FAMILY, and Nektons which make it sound like you are going to a comic book convention..

This made me chuckle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (looking at you GWG), but I believe that every coach who didn't come over with PJ has left after 1 year if Robb Smith is indeed going to the Pats.

Losing. They had a hard time excepting losing.

Brewster lost his O.C. and D.C after his first year. Had nothing to do with changing schemes. Everett Winters left to go back to North Carolina, where he was from. Mike Dunbar left/was let go because Brewster became dismayed with Dunbar's stubbornness. He flatly refused to ever take the QB out of the shotgun formation even in short and goal situations.

There were a few "heated discussions" on the sidelines about it.

Losing. They had a hard time excepting losing.

Brewster lost his O.C. and D.C after his first year. Had nothing to do with changing schemes. Everett Winters left to go back to North Carolina, where he was from. Mike Dunbar left/was let go because Brewster became dismayed with Dunbar's stubbornness. He flatly refused to ever take the QB out of the shotgun formation even in short and goal situations.

There were a few "heated discussions" on the sidelines about it.

Hmm, sounds vaguely familiar.

Where is chicken little?!? The sky isn't falling. First off, we're not even sure he's leaving. Secondly leaving for a chance at the NFL is kind of a no brainier. Hard to see how said no brainier can generate an imagined correlation to Fleck being a crappy coach to work for. The timeline on Fleck getting this job was rapid. He had a short amount of time to piecemeal together a staff. Warriner was clearly never meant to be a long term deal(and I suspect he let Fleck know that from the get go). Another got an SEC offer from his home state. Paup doesn't really move the needle either way and is an NFL guy. We don't even know for sure about the latest rumor. Each departure was for a good reason & those reasons aren't evidence whatsoever of Fleck being a bad head coach.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think we will be fine under PJF coaching-wise when it is all said and done.

Let's get a couple of similar classes or better in a row.

Maybe he thought he was going to NE and then Belichick woke up from his Super Bowl hangover and realized he didn't want him.

or it won't be announced until Schiano is actually announced as DC in NE.

You are correct, the rest of the staff came from Western Michigan.

Top Bottom